Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pole 2 Pole

Pump problem, please 'elp lads
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:52:05 pm »
I've just started having problems with my delivery from van surflo/varistream. The pump keeps cutting out when it shouldn't be. I disconnected hose before the hosereel and everything seems fine and acting like it should be expected, but when i connect again, the problem comes back. There is some spluttering sometimes which tends to indicate air, but i've pumped over 50 liters through the microbore and(if it is air) it just doesn't seem to wanna come out. The varistream seems to act relatively normally with the dial at 12 o clock, but and relatively well when i turn it up gently. But if i turn dial up quickly, all hell breaks loose, cutting out, spluttering  :-[ Any help truly appreciated. Ta lads. One more thing. I've had all the microbore off the reel and there's no apparent holes or loose jubilees. Thanks.

lee09

Re: Pump problem, please 'elp lads
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:05:56 pm »
Hi
If you have a strainer check it's clear and that there is charge in the battery
Lee

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:10:51 pm »
I do have a strainer lee. It does only seem about an 1/8 full of water when the pump is on. I've never looked before so i wouldn't know if that is normal behaviour from the strainer. But if it WAS that, wouldn't that affect the hose pre hosereel, and that's acting fine. Like i said, it's just when i connect microbore. Cheers for the help though lee.  ;)

geefree

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »
i had this problem, well similar.

it did the same until i left the tap open on the end of microbore....n then turned the pump up full.

it did not work the other way round

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
Tried that Gazza. Has worked for me it the past too, just not this time. I'm gonna take the strainer off and give a proper clean. Might try bypassing it completely to see if that sorts it. If it does, then i'll know  ;)

davids3511

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »
About this time last year I had similar problems. I had to adjust teh pressure sensetivity dial in teh back of the varistream. It is something to do with the water being more viscous when it is cold.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 03:58:57 pm »
I wonder if it is that orrrrrrrr the diaphram in the sureflo. Cos i'm convinced it isn't the varistream......or the strainer. That's clean and it didn't work properly even after bypassing it. 99% sure it isn't the microbore either. So it's sureflo(4 years old, but only used 2 or 3 times a week). It's working a bit better now, however it does cut out when on max sign. I know it doesn't have to be that high, but it is indicating that something is wrong. I'll try adjusting blue dial after a cuppa. Just not sure which direction to turn it,lol. Thanks again for your advice lads.

lee09

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
where in the uk are you as I have a spare 100 psi shurflow pump
I am in the midlands

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 04:38:36 pm »
about 300 miles away bud,lol. Down in surrey. Thanks for the offer though lee. If it is the surflo, santa knows just what to do  ;D

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
Well, I've tweaked bluey and that seems to have solved it. I can't believe the cold(if that is what is) is, would do that. Can't think of any logical reason. Anyways, i think i'm gonna live to shine another day  ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 05:27:27 pm »
Shurflos can get gremlins in them.  They stop for no logical reason.  We had one that refused to work.  The pump ran, it had three feet head of water supply to it but it wouldn't pump water, even just through a short length of open pipe on the delivery side.

Suspecting a problem in the diaphragm/valves I took the end cap off.  Nothing seemed to be wrong so I put it back on again.

It worked ???

That was over a year ago and it's still working.

You could always try the old "when all else fails hit it with a big hammer" cure.  May not make it work but could make you feel better ;D

colinyates

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:00 am »
Once had the same problem, removed the strainer and worked fine.  No idea why, can only put it down to air.