Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrisjohn

Upholstery shrinkage test
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »
What is the best way to do this test?

Is it the 4 pin measuring method, or would most of you, depending on what fabric you are cleaning, just keep water temperature to around 40 degrees?

markpowell

Re: Upholstery shrinkage test
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:48:06 am »
The 4 pin test.
The temp of the water has nothing to do with shrinkage, if an item is going to shrink it will do even with cold water.
Mark

chrisjohn

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:27 am »
Ok mark thanks for your reply.The reason i mentioned the water temperature is because when i went on the NCCA course they never mentioned anything about the 4 pin test,ive just picked that up from you experienced cc.On the course they advised us to do a burn test on the inside cushion,colour test,then hwe with temperature at a lower heat to stop any possible shrinkage.

As you can tell im new to cc,and just trying to find out the most practical procedures.Cheers.

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:11 pm »
Please explain the 4-pin test if you would.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:25 pm »
Offer up a business card to an unobtrusive area of the sofa - put a pin through the fabric at each corner of the card - remove the card and spray the area between the pins, let it dry - then offer up the card again and see if it overlaps the pins.

If it does - shrinkage

Steve

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »
Thanks, so if there's shrinkage then its best to not use HWE? or can you get away with it depending on the level of shrinkage.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:02 pm »
Personally, if there's shrinkage I would walk or use dry mineral solvent if I thought I would get a result with it.

To be honest I have yet to come across one that would shrink - although I am sure some of the other guys have.

Steve

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »
Only shrinkage I ever experienced on fabric was on cotton print about 20 years ago.

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:46:09 pm »
In 15 years have never experienced it and after 2 months never tested for it. There were some top end suites about which were a sandwich of two fabrics and I think a few people had problems with those.

chrisjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56:14 pm »
Steve,i would do exactly what you said.Sometimes things can be over completcated.

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:33:19 am »
What I've come across occasionally has been the aftermath of customer cleaning sofa covers in the washing machine and drying them BEFORE putting the inset back in...............does'nt work.