Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Would you use yell for advertising window cleaning?

Yes
55.6%
20 (55.6%)
No
41.7%
15 (41.7%)
Don't know
2.8%
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Ian Lancaster

Re: Yell.com
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 07:06:14 pm »
I had it last year and had 3 calls from prospective clients all small residential and not worth my while. So I decided to not renew, like the others I had tonnes of sales people phone me. However had a call last week to do an oil refinary and the only place I can put it down to is either yp or yell, if that's the case then the work has paid for the advertising 4 times over on just one clean.

Yell will also raise your google page ranking if you have a webpage. Possibly upto page 1. 

Simon.
I have a web page, so that must be what they meant

Your Google standing depends on how many people visit your website.  It doesn't matter who it is doing the visiting, just how many.  Yell.com are trying to bamboozle you - it's got nothing to do with them they're just trying to frighten you into wasting more money.

If you type "window cleaner...(followed by your town/area) into Google you should appear somewhere near the top of the listings, otherwise you need to look at the text of your webpage to make sure "window cleaner" and your town are in the first line or two, preferably several times.

Try typing "window cleaner sittingbourne" into google: Guess who comes up ;)

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 07:11:47 pm »
Although I have had a higher return from Yell and YP than I've paid out, it must be remembered that it's the profit from these jobs that you need to compare against money paid.  I have to ask myself if it's worth all the aggravation of receiving so many telesales calls (not just from Yell).  All my numbers are registered with the TPS.  I'm happy to receive advertising through the post as I can respond (or not) at my convenience.  However, telesales calls can occur at the most awkward moments and I have NEVER had a telesales caller ask if it's a convenient moment.  I had one recently just keep on and on and wouldn't shut up or listen.  I ended up telling him to go forth and multiply.

Paul_Rolfe

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29:43 pm »

Madam X, serves all tastes?

a900

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »
There certainaly are a mixed bag of responses.

The advert does not cost very much so it might be worth me trying for a year.

Those yell sales men are very persistant.

GWCS

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:35 pm »
There certainaly are a mixed bag of responses.

The advert does not cost very much so it might be worth me trying for a year.

Those yell sales men are very persistant.

are you a new starter?

Do you do much if any commercial jobs?

Are you mainly residential?

s.hughes

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
I had it last year and had 3 calls from prospective clients all small residential and not worth my while. So I decided to not renew, like the others I had tonnes of sales people phone me. However had a call last week to do an oil refinary and the only place I can put it down to is either yp or yell, if that's the case then the work has paid for the advertising 4 times over on just one clean.

Yell will also raise your google page ranking if you have a webpage. Possibly upto page 1. 

Simon.
I have a web page, so that must be what they meant

Your Google standing depends on how many people visit your website. It doesn't matter who it is doing the visiting, just how many. Yell.com are trying to bamboozle you - it's got nothing to do with them they're just trying to frighten you into wasting more money.

If you type "window cleaner...(followed by your town/area) into Google you should appear somewhere near the top of the listings, otherwise you need to look at the text of your webpage to make sure "window cleaner" and your town are in the first line or two, preferably several times.

Good point

a900

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:08:07 am »

are you a new starter?

I am quite new. Started in april.

I dont do any commercial but would like one or two commercial jobs. I am quoting one at the momment.

Yes i am mainly residential.

GWCS

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 11:02:04 am »

are you a new starter?

I am quite new. Started in april.

I dont do any commercial but would like one or two commercial jobs. I am quoting one at the momment.

Yes i am mainly residential.

In that case, personally...

I would get into it a bit more first.. learn the trade on resi then when your ready to progress and have money behind you go for commercial.

Dont forget there is alot more paper work involved in commercial with RA and MS if you are to do it properly. Also waiting 30 days (or more) for payment is quite hard if you are not financially sound with that buffer. If they start to mess you about with payments you then need to think about claims action..

mark dew

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 07:43:42 pm »
Get the freeby instead.
I have had a few calls from my free yell.com advert. Picked up a couple of jobs from it that's worth 3K per year.
It's the best money i've never spent.  :)

TonyD

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »
I used to get good a good response from yell.com ads, but since around January this years they started putting sponsor ads at the top.
I've had several Priority web link adds, that put you at the top with others who have the same in your area, usually around 2 to 5 companies, so it worked well, BUT these sponsored ads now go ABOVE those, so there's always another 3 or 4 above the priority ads, and it's killed the response rate dead for both my Priority ads for 2 different services (£50 or so each per month)
I won't be renewing.   You're better off spending the money on SEO work for your website IMO or other advertising.