Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Soft wool carpet
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
I went to an exclusive apartment in Manchester last week on a strange mission.

Although the carpet in the lounge and bedroom (and doormat! - but more of this later) was all the same it had only been fitted about a month earlier.

Now I know that new carpet will shed a certain amount of fibre, but this was ridiculous!

You only had to rub your hand over the carpet in a gently fashion and you would have great dollops of fairly long-stranded fibre collecting in your hand.

The client had asked me to clean the carpet to remove the excess fluff.

Now, I know what new carpet fluff looks like -and this wasn't it.

My thoughts were that it was probably some form of very, very soft (and hence expensive) wool like marino or even cashmere. (I've come across a cashmere sofa before now- and it was interesting to clean to say the least).

And how can you have a door-mat made out of this stuff when a mat is designed for you to wipe your feet on ?

What thoughts might the rest of you have about what it might be; will it settle down; what can be done to speed the settling down process up; and finally is it one of those things that interior designers think of which look and sound lovely but are totally impracticable.

(BTW the rest of the floors were white painted concrete and the 10x8 foot "picture" on the wall was in fact a living sculpture-it was a piece of moss(!!) which had to be watered twice a week!

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Soft wool carpet
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:38 pm »
Personally I would contact the seller or manufacturer or at minimum get some details from their website, I have come across this before but it was some time ago and can't rember the outcome (does this make me a TOG?)

Shaun

PS "how much is it for cheap carpet cleaning init?" ;)

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:45 pm »
Roger

Some really expensive carpets really are averse to any agitation. And harsh chems but I assume you err on the woolsafe side of things.

As for the living art I suspect he's a poor boy made good with his roots on the  Moss side. A north facing wall no doubt,

There's no accounting for taste but if he's lichen it. :-\ 

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:49:54 am »
Maybe he's an algaeholic :D

If he won't let you clean it with a disclaimer I'd run a mile from this, to be honest ;)

bloody designers.