Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

silverclean

Covering Your Own Back
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »
Hi. Having looked through this forum, I've learned a lot. I've been stung in business before (by a business partner not a customer) but I've noticed a good few cases on here by where the customer seems to be pulling a fast one leaving some of you potentially thousands of pounds out of pocket. I've decided to slow down the startup process of the company as we all learn by our mistakes and this time I want to cover my back where possible.

I've read in the few days I've been on here reports of problems with drive ways, laminate flooring and kitchen doors. I've started writing some procedures for our staff for the latter two (I don't see us cleaning patios in the near future) but can you guys suggest other areas where customers are likely to pull a fast one?

Our ops for staff state they must check for any damage before starting to clean and they are not going to be permitted to continue until we have a signed disclosure from the customer stating that damage was pre-existing and not caused by us.

Insurance is a lot more than I was expecting so I don't want to risk claiming and bumping up prices next year. Also don't want to get involved in any nasty issues or conflicts as it wasn't pretty last time things went wrong. Thanks for any advise in advance :-)

Alex
Website is a work in progress, but check it out. www.silverclean.co.uk

martin19842

Re: Covering Your Own Back
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:34:03 pm »
hi there

it all depends what dsort of cleaning that you are going to do, domestic, commercial, high level, builders cleans etc.

ie for builders cleans, as soon as you spot anything you report it to the site manager, and photograph it if you can.

with domestic work, i would report any damage immediately.
the key to all of this is communication, if you communicate with the client then it will help.

regards

martin

sherco

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
I had one last week, a customer of mine asked me to go and tile the wall behind her new £10,000 Aga, when i got there the builder had covered it up with dust sheets and taped them all on. So i removed them all before i had even started and checked the top of the Aga, and guess what...their was a big scratch the customer was standing next to me so she saw it was already there. Cost the builder £1500 to get Aga out to sort it, another favorite is scratched baths on new builds so always check and uncover things if they already have dust sheets on them.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

vacman

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:06:10 pm »
The problem with domestic cleaning is that pre-existing defects and faults are totally, totally endless. This means that -literally- the cleaning staff could spend more time detecting and reporting faults than they would spend cleaning. It is a very fine line...for instance i once pointed out to a lady that her laminate flooring in the hall. was coming apart. This was my first visit. What i didnt tell her about were all the minor dings and scratches that i found all over the house.

No matter what happens, you will always get someone who blames the cleaners for any or all the damage inflicted on their home. The worry comes when those same people then start asking the cleaning company to take responsibility for it. This is why insurance is useful. You take the complaint to the insurance company, they then deal with your client. If YOU have the b@lls to take your own personal opinion out of the situation (and it strikes me that a lot of folk haven't and don't see the bigger picture) and let the insurance company deal with it, then you won't get quite so stressed. To me the problems start when people try to fight fire with fire and try to argue  the point rather than seek expert advice to 'prove' what may or may not have happened.

You can write procedues till the cows come home, what is key to this game is correct training and spot-checks to make sure it is being executed. So you have instructions on cleaning laminate floor for example, but how do you PROVE that the instructions were followed in the event of someone saying that the floor has been over wetted?

My advice is keep an open mind about a clinet 'trying it on', take it on the chin, try not to worry about it, and if the worst happens use all the expert help avaliable to you. These things happen and in the main part you'll be making £££ as a result of working in folk's houses. Occasionally you'll be asked to pay some back. Its the name of the game.

silverclean

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:26 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for your replies, I will certainly take it all onboard. Maybe I'm a little paranoid :)
Website is a work in progress, but check it out. www.silverclean.co.uk