Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

hi guys just wondered as i seem to be effected by the fumes from my machines can i get any honda engine changed to liquid petroleum gas? and what are the fors and againsts?  might be getting new machine so might get it done!

Nathanael Jones

Re: can you get any honda engine pressure washer changed to lpg?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:02:09 pm »
As far as I know kits are available for all Honda and Loncin engines from 5.5hp upwards:
http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/Pumpsuk_Engines-petrol-diesel_W0QQ_fsubZ10QQ_sidZ132784503QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

They make the engine quieter, less fumes, and cheaper to run apparently.

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »
can you get lpg at tescos or asda?

drivewasher

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:47 pm »

You don't by it by a dispencer/pump like auto gas. you get tghe red propane bottles. Some need the forktruck bottles as they have a dip tube in them to draw liguid from the bottom and not gas/vapour from the top
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

drive surgeon

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:29:00 pm »
is it too much hassle steve?  i know i start wheezing when near petrol fumes??

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:50 pm »
http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/home.htm

this system is refillable from autogas pumps at petrol forecourts, and personally I've yet to find something propane powered that won't run on autogas. Butane is very similar,.. propane is only really used in cold climates as the freezing point is much lower.

jonnyald

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »
to get it to run off propane  would be far trickier than running off autogas .

mark bowditch

Re: can you get any honda engine pressure washer changed to lpg? New
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:17:44 pm »
Hi DS
If you read the replies to your own post you would know

Link to your post

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=76043.0#msg672504

my reply to your post
Hi DS
you sure seem to be struggling with this one first what van have you got.
I've got an ldv high load and boarded out behind my seat to head height the only gap is small hole for the side sliding door runner. With storage compartment above my head so basically the cab is sealed from the van. It also has a rotating vent in the roof.

I've run the machine recently for nine hours only stopping to refuel back doors shut together enough for hoses about 6in centre gap had very little fumes in cab.

LPG conversion kits on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360115409757

Their main site with a PDF fitting instructions LPT 3 is for gx390.
 http://www.pump.co.uk/shop?code=LPG1

Gas bottles are available in the camping shops some higher shops the old-fashioned DIY stores roofing companies.

Alternately you can use a refillable bottle which costs more but you can refill  at the local petrol station will cost you less to refill  then exchanged bottles

The link below should give you information and your local petrol garage with refillable gas facilities.

http://www.gasrefill.com/Why_choose_refillable.html
Hope this helps
all the best
Mark
Pressure Washing and Maintenance
http://www.grimeforce.co.uk

drivewasher

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »
Auto gas is propane, it's just that the garage stores it in large quantities and you put it in a converted car just like petrol. Exept it's under pressure and it's a liquid.
Forklift trucks and indoor plant runs of autogas, it's in red bottles there's an arrow painted on the bottle (when it's on it's side) that always has to point down, thats beacuse the liquid draw of tube is in that position. If wrongly mounted IE with the arrow horizontal then when the liquid level falls below the arrow head the engine will stop as it can't run on vapour IE gas it must draw liquid, or at least have the liquid forced out under pressure.

You can get propane bottles that stand vertically, they have a special valve with a long tube to the bottom of the bottle so as to get liquid and not gas. Some small engines however can operate on the vapour/gas off a standard propane bottle

Autogas at petrol stations is LPG (liquifed petrolium gas) it's "liquified" by compressing it hence it's stored at high pressure. When the high pressure si released it vapourises into a gas, thats why you get ice round filling nozzles and on the bottles when gas is being used quickly

jonnyald

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 07:23:05 am »
im not so sure . a mate of mine had a propane run forklift and i remember it didnt have a  carburettor anything like what a petrol engine has .  he was able to refill his own bottle up  from  a larger tank that stood outside his premises,i didnt look closely but he sortof pumped it out,using a handle

drivewasher

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:35 am »
im not so sure . a mate of mine had a propane run forklift and i remember it didnt have a  carburettor anything like what a petrol engine has .  he was able to refill his own bottle up  from  a larger tank that stood outside his premises,i didnt look closely but he sortof pumped it out,using a handle

Yes, He's doing by hand what the electric pump in the garage does. He will still be pumping it into a red cylinder. It's just tat in a car the cylinder is a permanant fixture to the car. The pump compresses the tank keeping it liquid (lpg)
Fork truks use loose bottles as small user don't or won't pay for expensive storage tanks and all the saftey regs and bumf required to dispence it, so it's dilivered or collected from the supplier in red cylinders same as if it was for a heater exept as I said the valve's a different arrangement to draw liquid.

As for carburretors, most petrol car engines now are fuel injection and dont have a carburretor, so forktruks have probably developed alongside that technology, I expect thats another reason to keep the system liquid fed

drivewasher

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:03:13 am »
Just looked at the Honda gas conversion on the ebay link. That has a regulator for a standard propane (red) bottle. It's for drawing gas of the bottle, as a heater would do.

Joe H

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:20 pm »

You don't by it by a dispencer/pump like auto gas. you get tghe red propane bottles.

Some of the carpet cleaners have a tank fitted where the spare wheel would go. This needs filling and I presume there are "stations" where you can go and fill.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:53:25 pm »
  as i seem to be effected by the fumes from my machines can i get any honda engine changed to liquid petroleum gas? 

how exactly does this happen?  don't you work out side in the fresh air? do you have it strapped to your back?

effected by the fumes ::)

I'm starting to think by the number of post you make that while you spend your day powerwashing you are so bored you pass the time thinking about what else you can ask when you get home
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »
mike no need  ;)

my machine faces out of the side or back of van,  when i switch machine on and off or go near it i can smell the fumes and it makes me chesty and wheezy, it cant be good for me, i might be allergic or something.  carbon monoxide fumes are deadly. so even when working out doors if your near the machine you are breathing the monoxide in which will affect you in later years.   :'(