Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Interesting canvassing experience
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
I do a section of main road as it runs through Bristol and charge between £5.50 and £7.50 for the fronts of some houses (Two faceted bays, one large bedroom window and a front door encased in porch sides.) On occasion they have the backs done for typically the same price again depending on any extensions etc.

They are all 1930's semi's and there are about 40 in a row of which I did 10.

So I thought I'd canvass the whole row this evening and note the responses. Four had "another window cleaner" and he charged a fiver a pop. Another two had another window cleaner who charged a tenner a pop. There was another w/c too, but no price was given.

So there are at least 4 window cleaners sharing this section (including me) - I picked up one more front (£12 first clean and £6 thereafter) which gives me 11 at an average of £6.50. Also another two hopefuls.

So I've learned that I'm somewhere in the middle - £10 for a front seemed very high to me but good luck to them. Also I've learned that half an hour's canvassing has got me one definite and two possibles and that business is still attainable.

It's a game of three halves!

seandyer2003

Re: Interesting canvassing experience
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:52 am »
I knocked about 10 doors last night and got 3 definite - to an avg of a tenner each, and 3-4 took my card, so there is business , malc, these new starts will go out and in a few months will have 100 custies, we have just lost the drive i think!! Time to get out and build, plus we have the experience, make it harder for them :)

newbroom

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:48 am »
I picked up 9 new customers within 2 hours on Saturday, £112 new work my aim this month is to add £1000 of work to the round. This week i'll be canvassing every night between 5-7pm.

Llaaww

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »
I used to do some houses in alma vale road Bristol. At the time I had a fixed price of £5 per front. All the houses were are identical and so was the price. What was different was the reactions of the people when I canvassed. Some were amazed that it was so cheap and had my arm off, others were horrified that I had the cheek to ask that much. It was a really good lesson in peoples attitude to money and how they spend it.

At the time there were two other cleaners working on the same road.
if it is dirty it is fair game

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:53:50 pm »
My pricing structure is based on the windows and not so much on the height, anyway I went to a qoute about 2 weeks ago and one wanted hers done and her down stairs nieghbours, however her downstairs neighbour had an extra window at the side, so I qouted £6 for hers and £6.50 for her neighbour.

Oh no, my last window cleaner did mine for £6 and my neighbours for £4 because she is on the bottom. Now although she was on the bottom you still needed a ladder to get to it.

"No, that absolutley redictlus, she is dearer and she is on the bottom".

This went on and I tryed to explain she had more window so shy should she pay less. Anyway I got both jobs after this womans dramatised response but it always amazes me the difference in some peoples attitudes to difference in prices between window cleaners.

I tend to say, you cant compare me to your last window cleaner as he may not even be in business anymore.

Anyway on point, yes there is definately work out there, but one effect of the current economic posistion is I think more be will try to barter you down now than before, which I just dont negotiate on.

Llaaww

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »
funny old game, canvassing. there are lots of different people out there to keep you on your toes. it is probably my favorite part of the job. I love getting the job, and don,t worry about the knock backs
if it is dirty it is fair game

combat1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »
Out the other day canvassing as I had finished work for the month.  Started 09.30 finished 15.30 door knocking got 24 new customers, all 7 window houses, easy access at £8 per house. Then one rang me later to book after seeing the business card which I had left on the local shop notice board.
Still getting over the shock but did them all Mon / Tues and got paid by most in cash, unbelievable but true!

colley614

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:22 pm »

By canvassing do you boys mean doorknocking?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:20:05 pm »

By canvassing do you boys mean doorknocking?

Err... yes - not painting on or camping under ...  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

combat1

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »
Yes doorknocking, tidy shirt, black trousers and clean shoes with a pad for details.
' Hi I'm Chris from .... cleaning.  Do you have a window cleaner at present? if not quick outline of service and price.  Keep it as simple as possible. If they already have a window cleaner, I judge whether I can check my price against theirs and explain that we are not out to take other window cleaners business.

colley614

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »
does canvassing actually work then? When I have seen canvassing written. I always presumed you meant leafleting until the other day the penny dropped. I feel daft now.  :P

combat1

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:38 pm »
The response from leafleting is very poor,  if you can see the prospective customers the chances improve dramatically.  If they are out I leave a leaflet.

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:49:45 am »
The response from leafleting is very poor,  if you can see the prospective customers the chances improve dramatically.  If they are out I leave a leaflet.

We post 400 leaflets a week and have done for the past three weeks.

Week 1:  Not one phone call.

Week 2:  Four jobs.

Week 3:  Two enquiries (so far); not quoted for yet.

It takes two of us two hours to post 400 leaflets, so I'm happy with that. 

colley614

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:37 pm »
Tried a bit pf this doorknocking stuff today. 2 houses and one to quote and 1 I'll be in touch. Far better than leafleting for an hours walking about.  ;D

sam peafield

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:58:02 pm »
Tosh,

Hi just curious why you don't actually knock the doors you leaflet drop surely you would improve your chances dramatically and your converstion rates signifficantly higher ?

Just my thoughts
All the best
Sam