Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M.Acorn

Damm heat and run !
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:15:52 pm »
Got call today from the letting agy i work for,their old office had burst a pipe overnight,and had flooded downstairs,hall mainly,toilet,little in lounge,so got to work sucking it up,120 litres i got out !
Set up machine to clean stairs,and also was going to go over again with fib and fab.

Half way through stairs ,turned around to see water peeing from connection on bottom of heat and run,and also from the top where the 4 bolts are that hold the top on  :( next thing pop,all the leccy goes off !
looks like water has got inside somehow ?

Not got the ££ to fix at the mo,any ideas what might have happened ?
What goes around comes around

Darren O

Re: Damm heat and run !
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me with mine i think its knackered mate as soon as they start to leak water the seals have gone i  had to buy a new one.

M.Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
Oh sheite ! did notice around the bottom connection,there was a load of silicone sealant,came from prochem like that !
Not what i wanted to hear,called mr tax man yesterday,not happy that i still o him a grand ! they suggested i get a bank loan !
I said we are not all like gordon clown,sooner or later it will all have to be paid back,and whats the point getting a loan when the interest is higher than the rev charge !
She was not happy !

Oh wel had 5 years out of it,will have to make do without until funds come in  :(

clinton

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:33:55 pm »
Mark

Sometimes the pressure is set to high on the heaters so blowing the seals.

There was one on ebay.

Mr Dvae

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:00 pm »
if it's knackered i may buy it from u for spares

Darren O

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:50:14 pm »
You have done great getting five years out of it iam on my third in four years.

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »
Right then,possibly see a connection there
Sometimes the pressure is set to high on the heaters so blowing the seals.

Have recently upgraded my pump from a 70 psi to a 120 psi,might have been the nail in the coffin so to speak ?

if it's knackered i may buy it from u for spares
If i can`t fix it i will prob keep it as spares for the next one .

Is it not possible to put new seals in ?
Got it sitting in the sink at the mo as it`s leaking water out of the electrical end  :(

Derek_Walker

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:28:17 pm »
Mine started leaking when I first bought it over 8 years ago. Took it apart and it was coming out of one of the joints, fixed it and it has been perfect ever since. There is not alot to go wrong with these things and it may be cheaper to fix, even if you find someone else to do it for you.

nevil

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:46 pm »
I have a Craftex inline heater. I bought it with a Grace machine about 4 years ago. Since then I put a 250psi pump on and it's been fine. My guess is that you need to undo some of the fittings inside, wrap PTFE tape ( plumbers tape )  put it back together and it will be as good as new.

markpowell

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »
Looks like its worth a try Mark, £300 quid for another.
Mark

Darren O

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 08:20:22 am »
Phone Prochem and ask them but my local Prochem dealer told me once they start leaking water 99% of the time there knacked especially the amount of water you said was coming out.

clinton

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:25:05 am »
Mark

I to think its gone mate,get another try and match it up to the pressure of your pump or more.

M.Acorn

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 04:34:04 pm »
Yeah it`s buggered,just spoke to graham @ olympic 417.23 for a new one !
Had another nightmare this morning,my customer who i clean for every fri is back from India,been away since Dec,thought i would set off nice and early,as i have been taking it easy there,as house has been empty !
Got about 2 miles into my 15 mile journey,on the a14,foot went flat to the floor without any resistance  ;) managed to pull over onto the verge cars going past at 70 not fun,the throttle cable has a cup on the end,and where it joins has a ball,cup was worn out and would not stay on ! Tried cutting some cable ties off other stuff so i could fix in,all too short  ;).
So snapped the live wire that goes to my stereo and stripped all the plastic off it with my teeth ! Managed to get my hand down there and tie it on ,runs a bit fast now but it`s that or i call breakdown people,was an hour late  :)..
Used to have a vaux main dealers just down the road,but they have moved to another branch 10 miles away now..
have to order it in from abroad,£47 + vat and del and will take 7 to 10 days,called a scrap yard,sold last 1 yesterday.So called another one and he had 1 £15 + del here tomorrow or monday.

clinton

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
Mark

Sory to hear that lets hope its all your bad luck in one go ::)

Least your up and running mate :)

Dont like them heat and runs myself ???

M.Acorn

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:34:26 pm »
Yeah hope that`s it for a while,did get a nice big fat cheque though for 10 weeks work,not got to use the van that much over the w/end,will get a decent cable tie around it so it lasts

Darren O

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »
Mark A&M Cleaning Supplies sell the Heat And Run for £285+vat.

M.Acorn

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
 Cheers Darren,good to chat  ;D will look them up

M.Acorn

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:17:03 pm »
Cool got their number  ;D

clinton

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »
Thats sounds a good deal mate.

Just let them know your pump size etc and they will tell you if it can cope with the pressure :)

Darren O

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:47 am »
Its nothing to do with the preasure the Heat And Run will cope fine with 120psi these heaters were built for the Steampro range i think its just wear and tear for a Heat Exchanger to last five years is great.