Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

titancleaners

IRONING YES OR NO?????????
« on: March 12, 2005, 02:57:34 pm »
my partner is thinking of starting up her own ironing business !!! does anybody out there have any advice? is it worth doing?

DP

Re: IRONING YES OR NO?????????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 03:55:29 pm »
UMMMMM  I think NO!!
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

Jan K

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 04:07:34 pm »
I wouldn't do it on its own, maybe incorporate it in with something else, but I can't imagine you would be able to do it any better than the big commercial cleaners and at a lower rate and still make a profit :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

CMS

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 05:28:50 pm »
I used to employ an ironing service to do my ironing a few years ago. How did I decide that it was worth it?

At the time I valued my own personal time at £20 per hour. I could either stay at home and do my ironing or go out and work. If I went out to work and someone was prepared to come and do my ironing at £5.00 per hour I would profit by £15.00 per hour. That was a few years ago and the rates have probably changed but the principle is the same.

As a customer of an ironing service......of course it was worth it.........to me!

paul@scc

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:59:54 am »
hi before i started carpets i did run a ironing firm and it did work but the first things you must consider are
a) Prices we went and charged 50p per item for standad laundry and 70p for sheet and duvet covers unlike some other that charge by the bag which is a lower profit.
b) The first item you must invest in is a press and a good press by the likes of elna cost on average of £400 - £500 which we found halfed our ironing time
c) do you pickup and return the items if so there must be a seperate charge
d) The cost for hangers and hanger bags a rail a good steam iron electric which gets very expensive.
These are just a few the best way i would go round it is see how many items your wife could iron in say an hour then work on you outgoing and see if your wife could still be capable of earning at least £7.50 - £10 and hour the only other possible way to do this we found was to wash dry and iron at a £1 an item.

When we did sell the buisness it did fetch £12000 so we couldnt complain

CMS

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 09:23:16 am »
I can't remember the exact price but.......when I used to use an ironing service (many moons ago) they used to collect at the door each Monday evening. I would be charged by weight (they used to take a spring balance out of the van and hook the laundry bag onto it).

The clothes used to be returned on hangers and covered in plastic on a Wednesday evening.

My wife only put in the things that she didn't like ironing such as shirts and trousers etc. The easy stuff like pillow cases used to stay at home.

In those days I used to pay £10-15 per week for one black bag (but it was 1995).

maggie67

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 02:35:21 pm »
YES!!

Presumably you can promote this business through your existing contacts. We have several well established ironing companies in our area! Many have websites and charge by the type of item! Worth taking a look at first. There is definately an on-going demand for this service! (I hate it..........!)

Good luck

Maggie :)