Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Turley

tips for sash windows
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:17 am »
hiya, pretty much the only thing I really struggle with nowadays is sash windows.

there are lots of large properties in my area which I haven't approached due to this.

any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated, especially relating to those drips/marks which come from the gap at the top of the bottom sash window.

many thanks

Re: tips for sash windows
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:45:06 am »
I turn the brush-head round for the bar above the bottom window and give that a light going over, with the water off but wet brush, and then it gets rinsed off when the top pane gets a rinse. I HOPE this prevents those runs and drips you mention.

Ive always thought a sill-brush would do a good job of those bars.

cybersye

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:47:48 am »
I've usually just gone back over the lower pane once its stopped dripping especially on first cleans but a sill brush sounds like a good idea Matt, may have to try that.

RSWindows

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:59 pm »
I have 4 Hotels that are traditional buildings, not porpouse built hotels and they have Sash windows, i am about to go WFP but due to the condition and age of the Sash i am not intending on using the WFP on them as the frames are FILTHY, and i mean super FILTHY, paint is flaking off and some of the frames are rotting and not exactly water proof if i use the WFP as the water will penetrate due to the angle of the brush.

They are high buildings and the job is done on all 4 of them every 3 weeks and i just do all the insides every 3 weeks and the outsides on the upper floors every 6 or 9 weeks, the buildings are far too high to use ladders so i the paint seal that was built up over many years and used the sash function and cleaned the outsides from the inside....major pain in the ass.

I have other Sash jobs but they are not much hastle and they will be easily converted to WFP.

Dont know if any of this helps.

kevin James

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:40 pm »
I'm using a sill brush on sashs. Works a treat. I use a low flow rate through 1mm pencils &  this means i can be accurate with the rinse. No complaints so far!

kevin the quad

LWC

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:00 am »
If theres a few sash windows, i go across the top pane first, and then give the underneath a scrub, then on to next window then go back to the start and do the bottom pane...if you get what i mean

Klean07

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:59:35 am »
I always use a low flow rate with pencil jets or normal for fan jets because sash windows are very delicate and if flow rate is too powerful the water goes through the glass makng an aweful mess of insides.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Dave Turley

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:42:21 am »
thanks for the ideas,  I have found that using a very low flow helps a lot with not getting water up the gap in the first place.

I think i'll carry on regardless an then use one of those clamps you can hold a scrim with and stick it on a pole to sort any bad marks afterwards

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:26:45 pm »
Never understood these problems with sash windows, I have never, and I mean never had a problem with them.

Rectangular brush and pencil jets by the way.

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »
I had a problem in the Summer when a customer went round and opened all her sash windows straight after I'd washed them, and dirty drips of water ended up all over the bottom sash.

She sacked me for that one.

Dave Turley

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »
lol TIM, you must be very lucky, not too fussy or blind as a bat!

:D :D :D

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 04:14:24 pm »
There's a few variations of sash windows, from the proper old fashioned wooden, Georgian paned variety, to the new modern PVC ones; which are less problematic.

Personally, whenever conveniantly possible, I'll wash the top sashes first and then return to clean the bottom sashes.

I do a fair few of these types of windows and I haven't had a complaint since that one I spoke about who sacked me.

I also find many of these windows leak if you're not careful.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 04:41:17 pm »
lol TIM, you must be very lucky, not too fussy or blind as a bat!

:D :D :D

Maybe very lucky?

What are you all talking about? Runs from the top sash? Never had that. Maybe having a little bit of spotting, but usually that clears after the second clean. I have old new, upvc or wooden sash windows, and never had any problems.  ???

Roy Harding

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »
What I do is clean the bottom sash first, paying extra attention to the top of the glass. Then I clean the top pain of the sash and rinse, then do a final rinse of the bottom sash.

Roy

AJ

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:31 pm »
medium flow, slow movement, works for me. That way you don't splash upwards

Dave Turley

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 09:12:58 am »
some good ideas, thanks.

tim, i've had some which are no problem, and some which are murder.

I think you must have been lucky up til now