Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pump Problem - advice needed
« on: March 03, 2005, 06:28:19 pm »
 Hi all,

I have a shurflo 60psi pump on a pump box as supplied with my trolley, but over the past week I ahve been having a problem:

Over the past week, the pressure of the water being pumped out will drop considerably for no reason, but sometimes it will pump out at top speed for a while no probs.

I rarely, if ever, use the pump on top wack, but I have been having to put the pump lever on full just to get it to pump out an almost reasonable amount of water. I thought there may be a blockage, so I checked all my pipes etc, but even with nothing else connected to the pump box (on the water out side) the water can still come out very slowly even with the pump on full.....

The water doesn't go from full power to slow on a regular cycle, (like it was pulsing or the pump is juddering), but just under normal use, having the pump set to about 1/4 (which is normally fine for me), now only produces a trickle..!!

Do you have any idea what this could be, or what I could do to solve it? 

Thanks for your help guys, hoping to get this sorted before work next week.....  :o

Cheers
Steve

AuRavelling79

Re: Pump Problem - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:19 pm »
Well there's a coincidence - mine was acting up today (60psi shurflow on aquatec trolley) sort of pulsing flow -  and the remote was all over the shop - switching off without me pressing the button and often not switching off when I wanted it to.

Otherwise it's a great little system but I reckon I'm losing a fair bit of time and water running back and switching off/on and having to disconnect the power plug to do so sometimes.

I've PM'd Peter Fogwill so hopefully it'll get sorted soon! :(
It's a game of three halves!

Philip Hanson

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:50:18 pm »
It sounds like you have a piece of debris inside the diaphragm of the pump.

The water inside the pump flows through a small aperture which is prone to being blocked with debris, like pieces of leaves or dirt, and will cause exactly this problem.  This happened to me, and because these are "dual action" pumps, if one side is blocked, the other side will still work but you'll get 50% of the pressure and 50% of the flow.  It will also be a bit jittery because the other side of the diaphragm isnt working.

The data sheets recommend using a filter on the "inlet" side, and you'll find that if the pump is damaged due to non-filtered inlet, the warranty is void.

However, it is quite easy to clean the diaphragm, do make sure you make a note of the order the parts come off in, otherwise you'll have bits left over!

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

karlosdaze

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:59:31 pm »
Well it seems to be a cold weather problem. Please let me know how things go when it gets a little warmer.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:07:51 pm »
Karl

Warmer today - pump flow excellent again so you could be on to something - but the flippin' remote is still acting up even after Peter Fogwill talked me thru' re setting it - I'm tearing my hair out with it!

karlosdaze

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 10:12:43 pm »
I know what you mean, just double the hose up in one of your hands, rest the pole on your waist belt!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 10:49:01 pm »
Malc, How far  and ow many buildings are you trying to go thro. I made my remote and told Peter ow to do it
 Martin from Williamson Pumps may have something to announce soon £200 ish What do you tink ?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 10:57:58 pm »
Jeff - Not thru any buildings and only up to about 20 paces away or even right up close - it has deteriorated markedly this week and I have changed the remote battery and re-set the receiver with Peter F talking me thru it on the phone only this morning - it's no different!

Originally -  3 weeks ago it was fine when the powerpack or leisure battery were fully charged and then got worse after about an hour or so - now it's all over the shop, switches off about 2 seconds after I've switched it on, then stays on and won't switch off - grrrr!

£200 seems very steep - I wonder if the reciever had it's own battery supply whether that would make a difference, but being so new I don't want to invalidate guarantees or anything.

Don't get me wrong - other than this one very irritating point the system is great.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 06:39:50 pm »
 Well, problem finally solved.

After much aggrevation, swapping all sorts of parts from one pump to another, it was suggested by the supplier (whom I finally got hold of) to try putting the inlet pipe directly into the "in" side of the pump.

When I did this it worked fine, which narrowed down where the problem could be. After much swapping and changing of pips and checking of the push fit conenctors, it came to light that it was a problem with the T connector.

If I slightly lifted the T piece up it caused the problem as described, as it must ever so slightly break the seal with the pipe. When it was pushed back down into place, all was ok....

Underneath the T piece in my pump box is the remote control black box, which can easily push the T piece up, so I moved this elsewhere.

So after all that it was a small part moving......

On one hand I am glad it's sorted, on the other hand I am annoyed I spent so much time trying to sort something that was so anoyingly simple in the end....  :o

Thanks for all your help guys, hope this info is ok use to someone else at some point.

Cheers
Steve   ;D