Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Topclean

dead battery
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
how do you no when your battery has died? just finished work, put battery on charge and only on light has come on charger. So im asuming it is not taking a charge. someone told me once that if the battery is to low this might happen and to try jump starting the battery off the van for a few minuites to give it a head start. Ive tried this and still nothing.
has this happened to anyone else, ifso is there anything else i can do?

yor help is always apreciated. 

Slash

Re: dead battery
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14:24 pm »
Bought a new one this morning,my old ones were not lasting long at all,because I have a split relay on my van I need to turn the van on when battery is flat,charge them up every night or day,take one out when I finish work and replace as I need the booster pump on in van to fill,the other battery gets charged while this is in progress and then replaced for the work pump on my reel and vice versa,even still while working what ever battery I use only last about half an hour before I need to turn the van on,I notice when I charge them up they keep flicking on and off on at he charger by making a clicking sound,have you tried another charger,when my charger is not in use the light still shows until I connect the crocodile clips and the charging light comes on,another thing is the water level in the battery,if your battery can be toped up, do so with pure water.

macmac

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:01 pm »
Why not just run pump from cig lighter & carry a "jump-start" power pack in the van just incase. I've always run my pump this way & only once directly flattened the battery, but that battery was 6 years old! replaced it with a cheapo 35 quid one nearly two years ago & this hasn't failed yet either!

Just seems a lot less hassle than charging batteries up over night etc.

Tony

Mike 108

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:33:21 pm »
If my battery is nearly fully discharged, my 'charging light' doesn't come on on my charger either.

But after about 30 minutes it does then come on and fully charges the battery.

Yours will probably do the same.

Mike

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »
I have been thinking that same thing with my battery. They dont seem to hold as much charge as they used to. I thought it was just the sells dying as they do when they are well used and getting old.
Bit like us humans

Steve

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:38:25 pm »
Some chargers won't charge if the battery is too flat, you can fool the charger into thinking that the battery is ok by wireing parralel to another battery. I imagine though that your battery is pretty kaput and would look to getting a new one.

Simon.  

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:45:12 pm »
Bought a new one this morning,my old ones were not lasting long at all,because I have a split relay on my van I need to turn the van on when battery is flat,charge them up every night or day,take one out when I finish work and replace as I need the booster pump on in van to fill,the other battery gets charged while this is in progress and then replaced for the work pump on my reel and vice versa,even still while working what ever battery I use only last about half an hour before I need to turn the van on,I notice when I charge them up they keep flicking on and off on at he charger by making a clicking sound,have you tried another charger,when my charger is not in use the light still shows until I connect the crocodile clips and the charging light comes on,another thing is the water level in the battery,if your battery can be toped up, do so with pure water.
I added oure water to one of my batterys and it killed it dead  ::)

Topclean

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:48:13 pm »
I spoke to a nice chap were i bought another battery a while ago and hes just told me to hook up my ok battery to the charger, then run some jump leads from that to the dodgy battery leave on charge for an hour and hey presto.... its taking a charge :D

wish i new this with my old battery, which leads me to my next question. How long can you leave a flat battery for?