Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

restore laminate flooring
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:59:42 pm »
Hi Lads,

I have a custy that has laminate flooring. It needs a new coat of sealant to bring back the shine and fade ome markings....

Any ideas..

I did a test with with some laminate flooring I had spare in a garage, I used high shine matallised imulsion, this is mainly used on Vynal, antico flooring. Applied it, it dried beutiful, even most of the marks had vanished, but after testing it, it scrapped off easily with my finger nails.

Your recomendations greatfully recieved.

cheers

Dave

Gerry Styles

Re: restore laminate flooring
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »
You will find that sealants will not take on laminate

Got the following from a flooring website

Maintenance & Care Guide for Hardwood & Laminate Floors.
All hardwood and laminate floors regardless of what type of finish, must be maintained properly to keep the beauty long lasting. We have listed the basic recommendations to care for your new floor. It is always recommended that you follow the flooring manufactures maintained guide which comes with the floor.

Sweep or vacuum the floor (with an appropriate broom or vacuum attachment) regularly to keep it clean and free of dirt, oil, dust, grit, and other abrasive and foreign materials.
Place area rugs or doormats at entryways to help prevent abrasive or staining materials from being tracked onto the floor surface from outdoors. Avoid rubber backed or similarly dense matting materials that may trap moisture between the mat and the floor. Choose mats that enable airflow instead and do not discolour the floor.
Place protective mats a high use work areas such as sinks and workstations.
Protect the floor from any exposure to liquids, water or other forms of moisture.
Use a damp, not wet, and clean cloth to wipe up spilled food, drink or other liquid immediately
Never wet mop the floor when cleaning.
Avoid walking on the floor with wet feet or footwear.
Install felt pads or soft bottomed castors on the feet of all furniture and accessories that will be placed directly onto the floor surface.
Avoid letting sharp or pointed objects come into contact with the floor. Do not walk on the floor with high heeled shoes or other types of footwear which may damage the finish or cause indentations to the surface.
Do not drag, push or roll appliances, furniture or any other objects across the floor.
Never use any household or furniture dust remover, polish or similar products.
Never use any steel wool, scouring pad or any other abrasive cleaners.
Only use cleaning products recommended by the flooring manufacture
Premier Klean Limited

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23:18 pm »
thanks for the reply, Gerry.

I was aware of what you have posted, and greatful that you took the time to reply. However, there must be some treatments. As not everyone will be able to replace their flooring.

On further research conducted today. I have found that Ronseal, have released a product called Ronseal Laminate. Dries in 10 minutes.

I will soon be testing this on some old scratched laminate that I have in the garage. I will post results.

thanks

Dave

garyj

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:07 pm »
Is Bourne Seal an option on this type of floor?

Looks like Ronseal might be an option, as long as it says what it does on the tin.

I used metallic polish on our mosaic tiled garden table, it looked great for about a month but then flaked off.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:10:47 pm »
Hi lads just to let you know that I have used Ronseal Laminate on Laminate flooring. Gave 3 coats. looks ok and does not scratch off. Its not the greatest achievement but custy happy with it.