Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian_Giles

Well I never! New
« on: February 22, 2005, 11:45:22 pm »
That are 2 posts I have read that have been censored by the moderators.
This may be a cleaning forum, but that doesn't mean there can't be a little fun.
If a Geordie takes the mick out of his welsh wife in an entirely and very obviously tongue in cheek style, then it is a sad state of affairs if the posting this reply appeared in is frozen or deleted.
there are a couple of posts that have been locked, within those post, no one has been overly rude, or have spat out vitrolic personal insults, but no one is now allowed to respond to them.
Someone can always take offence, but I have rarely seen anything on any of the forums where there has been anything other than humorous when taking a pop at someone from a specific part of the uk.
It even makes me smile when I see postings from user that are taken wrongly, and an argument develops.
Now this is the kind of thing that that moderators must curtail. Humour and tangents that veer from strictly cleaning issues should be tolerated.
There is often sexual inuendo, sometimes it gets quite near the knuckle, but again, I have never seen it cross over into downright obscene.

Variety is the spice of life my friends, don't be to censorious, and don't try to act PC either.
We are window cleaners, get a grip.
In other postings I have taken a pop at Geordies via Windows_chepstow, these have been satirical and have had nothing to do specificaly with window cleaning.
Take a look at the posting, 'More funny stories' That one is pure humor.
I even did a posting of my own, but one of the moderators took it on their own head to amalgamate it into 'More funny stories' That iritated me, it was a stand alone post, and on a different theme.
If a complaint is made to the forum adminiistrators about the content of a posting, then would be a good time to deal with it, and the occasional admonishment to get back on track can't really be objected to either.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, let people reply, a bit less of the heavy handed 'Big Brother' approach would be appreciated.
In the writing of this post I don't know if I've been too restrained, I don't know if it will be removed because I have said something the administrators will object to, or not.
I want to spur some pointed replies, but find mtself picking over my words. were it a column in my local newspaper I would push it and wait for the indignant replies.
Ths is of course a post that has absolutely nothing to do with any cleaning issue whatsoever.
If such a posting receives few replies, it will soon disappear off the foot of the screen, and if so, who the hell needs a moderator to remove it?

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Re: Well I never!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 04:36:22 pm »
Here, here Ian,

However I'm just about to send an e-mail to Philip apologising and promising to moderate my humour in future. 

In Philips defence, I doubt anyone works harder than him to improve the status and raise the profile of us 'lowly' window cleaners and maybe he sometimes gets frustrated when he sees people like me making too much fun, out of non-window cleaning related subjects. 

This forum is something which he is obviously very passionate about.  And that's only good news for us.  If it wasn't for this site I'd have a lot less work.  I wouldn't have any knowledge on method statements, risk assessment and lots of other knowledge too.

On the other hand, if this site is pure 'shop talk' then it could become a little stale... but that's a different debate!

Anyway, life's too short to grump.  I've had an absolutely blinding day after a leaflet drop early this morning.  My phone hasn't stopped ringing!  Out of eleven customers I've taken on today (so far), all but one has agreed to pay by standing order and they're all very well priced properties!  Wahay!