Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sage

STARTING UP A BUSINESS
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:53:31 pm »
HELP  ???

WE WANT TO START UP OUR OWN CLEANING BUSINESS IN DEVON

WE'RE LOOKING TO GO INTO CLEANING PROPERTY LETS & DOMESTIC & COMMERCIAL
WE WORK FOR A COMPANY, BUT WANT TO GO ON OUR OWN

SO CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW WHAT PAPERWORK WE NEED, INSURANCES AND WHAT TO CHARGE AND THE BEST APPROACH TO GET NEW CONTRACTS. WE KNOW ITS ALOT TO ASK BUT WE WANT TO GET IT RIGHT

breeze

Re: STARTING UP A BUSINESS
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:21:29 pm »
hi sage

we`re in the same situation in hampshire.
i had a look around but i would need more info as well.these are the things what i know-might help.as well i can be wrong in some of them.
you can start as a sole trader which means you can work under your name and at the end of tax year you have to fill the self assesment form for tax things.i personally think it`s not the best idea in case of contract cleaning/office etc./ - you can`t have a company name therefore maybe the possible clients won`t take you seriously.
you can start as a limited cmpany - registering online costs about 40£ - you will have a company name,registered office etc. i think this option is better if you wish to grow and employ staff.
in regards of paperwork,an accountant can do the job or DIY ;) - that`s what i`m planning to do.
and this is the area i`m not sure in.is it enough to buy your payroll software and at the and of the tax year get an accountant to sort out your taxes..?

insurance - if i remember well as a sole trader you don`t need to be insured at some point - i would check it.as soon as you employ people it is required by law to have an employer liability insurance.you could have public liability insurance if you want.the thing is i couldn`t find insurance company selling separately the two.the cheapest one i found is about 70£ p/m for 5 people including yourself.

well,that`s all i know hope helps

good luck ;)

hotsteam

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:01:47 pm »
You can have a trading name without being a limited company check with your accountant.
Regards Hotsteam

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:02:23 pm »
Theres nothing to say you can't work at night and tie your horse to the nearest tree but its not best practice to do so. Who is ever going to take you seriously if you have not got a company name, PL insurance and all the other overheads. You need to get the advice of the accountant before you start else it'll be dearer to sort out the mess at the end of the year. If only ruuning a business was as simplistic as you make out ??? ??? ??? ???

breeze

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »
any suggestions what is the right order:

-register the company
-get contracts
-get an accountant

or

-register the company
-get an accountant
-get contracts

or..?
i mean i wouldnt be too happy to pay the accountant before i actually starting to get something out of the business.. ???

Griffus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:18:03 am »
Starting point: Get a good accountant (recommendation is the best way).

They will then set the company up for you (for around £300).

This is the safest way to avoid any errors or omissions.

For a small annual fee they will also act as youur Company Secretary and allow their office address to be used as you Registered Office.

If I were you I would give serious thought to setting up as a sole trader or partnership to begin with, unless your potential customers are insistant on you trading as Ltd.

Remember Public Liability Insurance (this usually includes some level of Product Liability) and of course Employer's Liability should you intend to employ staff. Be careful not to pay too much for your policy, large insurance companies are well known for high quotes to new businesses, taking advantage of the lack of experience. Try HSBC or Allied. We have used both and both well priced with decent communications.

Oh. and don't forget Motor Insurance.

Setting up any business is not rocket science but to do things properly takes much time and effort. Omisions in the early stages can mean you trade outside of one of the many rules, regulations and laws that apply.

Finally, I would strongly recommend that anyone considering setting up, whether sole trader or other should meet up with their local Business Link advisor. Regardless of your current understanding of all things 'business' you should learn something new and useful. They are also well connected and often have funding available via grants. Just Google Business Link.

Good luck, and enjoy your sixteen hour days between now and your first million :-)

PHILC

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:21:28 pm »
sage where abouts in devon are you thinking of starting up?
i may have some work for sale if your interested?

sage

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »
Ian

thanks for that information, i appreciate you taking the time out to reply

cheers  :)

sage

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:16:54 pm »
FAO
supreme clean

hi we are looking to set up the business from mid to west devon, where we are located.

you mentioned you may have some business for sale, do you want to tell me a bit more about it and a rough price

cheers

PHILC

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:49:40 pm »
whats your email address and i will send some details

sage

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:36:29 am »
fao

supreme clean

kitten794@hotmail.com

cheers

garry22

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:53 pm »
Following on from what Ian said about accountants.

If you set up as a limited company then it should cost about £ 500 for all accounts to be sorted. It will be considerably less for a sole trader or partnership. A decent accountant will save you more than what they cost.

Get them to set up your books in whatever way they want.  This allows you to do most of the work yourself through the year and will keep the cost down when the annual accounts are due. You don't want to be paying eg £ 100 an hour for someone to sort receipts when you could have done that yourself!

The most important thing for you do is GET WORK. You are no longer a cleaner, you are a marketer of cleaning services. That is the number one priority.

Best of luck,

Garry

Paul Heath

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:23 pm »
Most important is to get some work first. Worry about an accountant later as you have a year to get the books up together. Our accountant said its not worth going ltd unless you are making at least £20k profit, but please get your own advice. Get a web site up and running and start an advertising campaign. If you have time and would like to call into our office during the week you are more than welcome were are in St Kew Highway. We do get enquirys from Devon and would pass them on, no problems. www.pjcleaning.biz

suffolkclean

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »
1st thing is to get a company name, this can then be put onto flyers, letterheads, business cards etc when contacting people. Its important to look the part!. Then get the work through advertising, calling letting agents - offering your services. They usually ask for you to send in some information so it's good to have all your stationary etc ready to send out.

Insurance we have insurance for public liability and insurance for emploing staff from Axa insurance. I think its around £80 per person you employ for the year.

Keep good records of money comming in and money going out, once we found an accountant they supplied us with a really good cash book for £20 which is really straight forward to fill out.

We also go some T-shirts embroidered too they look smart and make you look professional, also if you have a van - sign writting it is one of the best things you can do everyone will notice it and is a great advertising tool.

Good luck!!