Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Double glazing seals
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:32 pm »
I've been told by a neighbour of a custie that they've had to have some of their d.g. units seplaced as the seazls have failed and the glass has misted up. The bloke says that the custie is convinced it was my wfp that caused it, I say that is bull and its just pure coincidence what do you all think?
Cheers Rich

craig jwc

Re: Double glazing seals
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
Can't see it myself.

How long you been clean them wfp

geefree

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:35 pm »
we had our glazing replaced long before i cleaned our house with wfp...

the seals had broken with age and wear and tear.

Gary.

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »
Can't see it myself.

How long you been clean them wfp
only done them once 3 months ago ( been off 2 month due to broken ankle) which was the 1st clean
Cheers Rich

craig jwc

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:32 pm »
Like Gazzasp8 said it would general wear and tear.

The ones i notice mist up the most is the glazing in the timber frames, been told by a fitter whilst out working that the glazing doesn't work well in timber frames.

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:37 pm »
so its not down to wfp then , I don't want to be sued for the cost of  having the units replaced ?
Cheers Rich

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40:43 pm »
They would have to prove it and after one clean wfp it's laughable.

These companies who make the systems and sell them wouldn't be allowed if they damaged the units.

All your going to lose here is the customer and i wouldn't worry about that. If they are trying it on over this then what other complaints and moans would they come out with.

They probably don't understand anything about how the system works and obviously you are the prime suspect to point the finger at as you cleaned them.

I wouldn't worry about it

niceandclean

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:43:23 pm »
I replace the odd unit here and there, and when i see one gone, this is what i pop through the door.

Misty/Broken down double glazed sealed units:

In the trade we say that the double glazed sealed unit has 'broken down'. This means that the perimeter edge seal has lost it's integrity and that it is letting in moisture somewhere. The moisture itself is hard to spot at first, sometimes becoming only visible as the Sun or another heat source 'draws' the moisture up. Typically the moisture will be drawn in as the atmospheric pressure changes, and it will build up eventually condensing into water inside the sealed unit. This can sometimes look like a fish tank with several inches of water inside that cannot escape.

What you can do about misted up double glazed sealed units:

The only answer is to replace the double glazed sealed unit with new ones. That almost always means little or no alteration or disruption to the framework, if it is sound as the glass sealed unit is designed to be removable and replaceable. Trying to separate the glass is not practical as the sealed unit is factory made with the glass bonded together to (hopefully) last a lifetime.

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:02:52 pm »
I've been told by a neighbour of a custie that they've had to have some of their d.g. units seplaced as the seazls have failed and the glass has misted up. The bloke says that the custie is convinced it was my wfp that caused it, I say that is bull and its just pure coincidence what do you all think?
This question always makes me smile, if it were true that pure water was the cause of seal failure, then the rain could also contribute towards it, However its not true or we would have literally thousands of window seals up and down the country failing, as this is not the case, you can eliminate pure water.

RPCCS

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:08 pm »
thanks for all the replies fellers, I didn't think it was down to wfp, I just wanted someone else's views to make sure , much appreciated
Cheers Rich

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:56 pm »
so its not down to wfp then , I don't want to be sued for the cost of  having the units replaced ?
Not at all, you are not even touching the seal on the glass only the frame, they are trying to pull a fast one, I will can and explain how this works if you need me too pop up on msn.

I have pics on my cam that shows a double glazed unit (out of frame) they are trying it on m8 wfp cant damage the seal on glass as you dont touch it.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:54:30 pm »
The only answer is to replace the double glazed sealed unit with new ones.

What I noticed last week on some of a customers glazed units were what looked like absorbing granules between the the 2 pieces of glass. Is it possible to insert this sort of stuff and then re-seal the panels?

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:57:51 pm »
The only answer is to replace the double glazed sealed unit with new ones.

What I noticed last week on some of a customers glazed units were what looked like absorbing granules between the the 2 pieces of glass. Is it possible to insert this sort of stuff and then re-seal the panels?
if you have moisture free work place and the tools etc etc etc, either replace them or leave them is what I would do.

Ian

john tomkins

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 11:16:25 pm »
The glazing units should be on packing pieces of plastic keeping them above the drainage channel inside the frame, sometimes these get left out and the bottom of the glazing unit can be sitting in water in the drainage channel, obviously this accelerates the "misting" process.

So just blame the fitters ;D

firstglass

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
I'm a time served glazier.

Trust me, WFP has absolutely nothing to do with double glazed units breaking down. When the mastic seal that surround the D/G unit lets in air, the dried air between the two panes then escapes and that's what causes condensation

Most window companies will supply you with a guarantee which generally has run out by the time the units break down. (surprise surprise)

NEVER take the blame for it because you use WFP.

firstglass

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:35 am »

To be honest, it really wouldn't be at all practical mate.

The 'granules' that you see are inserted in the actual spacer bar between the two panes of glass. Seeing these is a sure sign the there is a problem on the horizon.

These 'ganules are inserted into the spacer bar in the same way (kinda) that you get those wee sachets when you buy new shoes, etc.