Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Distortion

TDS measurement ?
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:48:42 am »
Just wondering if anyone knows how I can find out what the TDS measurement of the water in my area is ?

Have read in another thread that if I'm below 100 I will on need to di this meaning I won't need an RO unit.

If anyone can help or set me straight if I'm wrong that would be great. Just rushing this before I get to my monkey job.

Many thanks in advance

JP

john tomkins

Re: TDS measurement ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:56:03 am »
If you put down your location someone my give you a good idea what it is

Distortion

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:50 am »
Location is Stafford, Staffordshire. Postcode is ST17

JP

john tomkins

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:29 am »
Looking at this map you'll definately need a RO, but dont worry it ain't that expensive ....
www.dwi.gov.uk/pubs/hardness/index.htm

Distortion

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:07:24 am »
Thanks for that, had the RO unit on. My shopping list but thought I would check before buying.

JP

WCE

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:08:32 pm »
if you really want to be sure though just buy a hand held tds meter. They can be got for under £20 - That way you would be sure but the water in your area is most likely to be hard.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:35:23 pm »
I'm supposedly in a hard water area, but in my locality, its only about 130-160ppm

Get yourself a tds meter, cleaning spot do them for about fifteen squid, you should get it pretty speedily too.

tinyurl.com/3mla2e

Jay

Distortion

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:16 pm »
So at what point would i need an RO system ?

If pure is 100, what level would a DI unit work to ? 120 ? 130 ? before i would need to consider an RO system.

Cheers

JP

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:31 pm »
I have as I said 130-150, which is quite soft.

I was advised that if I just used resin, I would get through a lot of it, so it would work out cheaper in the long run to use RO, although expensive to start with.

Here's how the q+a went:

I asked:

"I am going to be buying a WFP system in the near future, but just wondered if you had any advice. My TDS reading is around 140ppm, so wondered if I could get away with just using resin? If so how often do you think I'd need to change it? And would it be more cost effective to run with small RO, perhaps a merlin?"

Reply was (From wintecs)
"With a TDS reading of 140ppm you could get away with just using resin. Current price for 25L bag is £69.00 + VAT (incl. free delivery) and will generate 5000 litres of pure water. This is the most simple option for filtering water. A Merlin will involve more cost to set up, but probably will work out cheaper in the long run. However this generates 60%-70% waste water and is a more complicated set up.

If you have any more queries, don't hesitate to ring or email.

Kind regards"

I think when they said 5000litres of pure water, they meant with my tds readings, so do the math accordingly.

On the other hand, I know a guy who with water readings of 300-400ppm, had a 4040 RO set up, but got so sick of all the waste water and that it took AGES to fill up the tank, now just uses resin.  He spends about £90 a week on the stuff!  Madness, but he leases a van and equipt from a company, and they supply the materials, so not a great loss on his part I suppose!!  Apparently he gets through a lot of work, I don't know how much, but probably does 40 hours a week.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:03:23 pm »
I have as I said 130-150, which is quite soft.

I was advised that if I just used resin, I would get through a lot of it, so it would work out cheaper in the long run to use RO, although expensive to start with.

Here's how the q+a went:

I asked:

"I am going to be buying a WFP system in the near future, but just wondered if you had any advice. My TDS reading is around 140ppm, so wondered if I could get away with just using resin? If so how often do you think I'd need to change it? And would it be more cost effective to run with small RO, perhaps a merlin?"

Reply was (From wintecs)
"With a TDS reading of 140ppm you could get away with just using resin. Current price for 25L bag is £69.00 + VAT (incl. free delivery) and will generate 5000 litres of pure water. This is the most simple option for filtering water. A Merlin will involve more cost to set up, but probably will work out cheaper in the long run. However this generates 60%-70% waste water and is a more complicated set up.

If you have any more queries, don't hesitate to ring or email.

Kind regards"

I think when they said 5000litres of pure water, they meant with my tds readings, so do the math accordingly.

On the other hand, I know a guy who with water readings of 300-400ppm, had a 4040 RO set up, but got so sick of all the waste water and that it took AGES to fill up the tank, now just uses resin.  He spends about £90 a week on the stuff!  Madness, but he leases a van and equipt from a company, and they supply the materials, so not a great loss on his part I suppose!!  Apparently he gets through a lot of work, I don't know how much, but probably does 40 hours a week.

the 4040 being slow more than likely was his tap pressure, offer to buy it from him get a booster pump and you will get more water than you can use and resin bill will cut down to minimal. £90 a week on resin is plain waste of money unless he has about 8 vans on the road, it sounds to me he got the 4040 did not know what he was doing and went back to resin for the easy life.

Ian

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 06:19:19 pm »
the 4040 being slow more than likely was his tap pressure, offer to buy it from him get a booster pump and you will get more water than you can use and resin bill will cut down to minimal. £90 a week on resin is plain waste of money unless he has about 8 vans on the road, it sounds to me he got the 4040 did not know what he was doing and went back to resin for the easy life.

Ian

Well thats what I did, of course, and bagged an Ionics Pro 5 for, well lets just say a bargain.  He was more than happy to see it go.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 06:29:21 pm »

Ian
result there then  ;)

Well thats what I did, of course, and bagged an Ionics Pro 5 for, well lets just say a bargain.  He was more than happy to see it go.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

dai

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
I am DI only, using two vessels inline, With a TDS of around 55, it costs me a £1 a day for water using 200 to 250 litres a day. With a TDS of 100 you can double that, I would say it would cost you £3 to £4 a day max.
Dai

geefree

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:30 am »
my water area is ... around 80 to 100 ... and my ro brings it down to ooo in no time....

but now and again my water can be 160.... and my ro unit still brings it down to 000.

i have yet to use my di vessel.

hope this helps.

mark dew

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:07:34 am »
I am DI only, using two vessels inline, With a TDS of around 55, it costs me a £1 a day for water using 200 to 250 litres a day. With a TDS of 100 you can double that, I would say it would cost you £3 to £4 a day max.
Dai

£1 a day for 200 - 250 litres. That's resin use only is it?
If a 100gpd RO costs around £130 and takes out 95 - 98% of contaminents, the cost of the RO and a sack of resin would would be paid for in 6 months.