Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Slater

DIY - are there any other sites.
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been reading lots and lots on these boards and am very keen to find out some more about the DIY route for wfp. I know Matt has a site (which seems to be down at the moment for some reason!!).

Just wondering is there any others out there?

Re: DIY - is there any other sites.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »
Don't you mean 'are  there any others?'

Sorry couldn't resist.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
There's some good diy info if you search here,...

ACS forums have a few DIY threads too.

Matt's is the only dedicated DIY site I know of tho

David Slater

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »
Cheers Nathanael,

I've been searching through CIU and I've found lots of good DIY tips and tricks. Just wondered whether there were any other sites that brought it all together under one roof.

jewelcleaning,

Are you the resident pendant?

...I shall be keeping an eye on your grammar :P ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:04:50 pm »
Cheers Nathanael,

I've been searching through CIU and I've found lots of good DIY tips and tricks. Just wondered whether there were any other sites that brought it all together under one roof.

jewelcleaning,

Are you the resident pendant?

...I shall be keeping an eye on your grammar :P ;D

Downt you meen 'youre' gramer?  ;) ;)
 :D ;D :D ;D

So are you going down the DIY WFP route?

Keep a look out for cheapies on the equip new and used page.

Jay

David Slater

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:24:14 pm »
Where, were, we're, wear, your, you're, their, there, they're....English is a funny old language  ;D

Yeah, after my dad and I read the DIY site we reckon its pretty straight forward.
I've seen a couple of interesting posts about hot water (one on here for around £800) and one over on Matt's site for a couple of hundred. My dad reckons theres a middle ground with a fitted LPG tank (so you can fill it at the garage) but still have total control of the heat produced  (that seems to be lacking with the diesel genny).

I've got a million questions but dont want to set off another DIY/Manufacturer war  :o which seems to happen a lot when you mention DIY!!.

The Harris pole has got to be worth trying. Although I do like the look of Peters pole. I wont place myself firmly in either camp. I'm trying to keep my eyes wide open and will DIY and 'buy in' whichever seems to be the best option.....so please  everybody, dont start another diy/manufactured war over my post  :)     

Jeff Brimble

Re: DIY - are there any other sites.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:25 pm »
Why not, its raining and I am bored. Diy forever  ;D

gary999

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:47:52 pm »
Why not, its raining and I am bored. Diy forever  ;D

listen to master yoda he wont steer you wrong ;D ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:59:56 pm »
Maybe I will,  perhaps the General would disagree and say that you have to buy the best not make it ?

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:25:09 pm »
I've got a million questions but dont want to set off another DIY/Manufacturer war  :o which seems to happen a lot when you mention DIY!!.

You must have read alot of old posts. It's all got quite civilised now compared to how it once was.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:30:59 pm »
I like the idea of the fitted LPG tank.
You can get ones that go where the spare wheel should,.. is that the kind you were thinking of?

My hot system uses a standard gas bottle like you would for a BBQ or patio heater, and I have to be honest and say I feel quite safe with it. Its in the centre of the van surrounded by a water tank, DI vessels etc etc,.. so in a crash bad enough to damage the gas cylinder, I'd already be a gonner anyway!

A factory fitted tank is a good idea though,... it could make the running costs even lower again!

David Slater

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »
I like the idea of the fitted LPG tank.
You can get ones that go where the spare wheel should,.. is that the kind you were thinking of?

My hot system uses a standard gas bottle like you would for a BBQ or patio heater, and I have to be honest and say I feel quite safe with it. Its in the centre of the van surrounded by a water tank, DI vessels etc etc,.. so in a crash bad enough to damage the gas cylinder, I'd already be a gonner anyway!

A factory fitted tank is a good idea though,... it could make the running costs even lower again!

Thats exactly what my dad was saying. Lower running costs, incredibly easy to fill up, no chance of running out of gas, no messing around with bottles, 100% safe because the tanks are designed for vehicles...etc. etc.

He has a huge 6 wheel Hobby motorhome and as soon as he saw the general set-up of wfp and heated water, he chuckled and said thats all been modeled on motorhome equipment. Its a piece of cake  ;D

Nathanael, was yours the chinese heater I saw on the DIY site?

mark dew, Yeah, I've read posts going all the way back to the start of 2006 so far....forewarned is forearmed as they say  ;) 

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »
Yep I've got the heater from China, the Arazibo JSD20 (Its on ebay).

Just a thought on the gas,.... there would be tax/duty on motor gas, but not on camping gas,... so bottles might actually still work out cheaper.