Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

*Mr Tumble

Re: Clamps that crush? slx? ionics
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 08:08:04 am »
I would just reiterate that I never sanded my ionics pole.

THe clamps, as I remember, had very little scope for adjustment in themsleves, so that any wear on the pole eventually got the better of the clamps.

The original clamps that come fitted on an Ionics pole lasts for ages.
When the clamps wear out and need replacing I've found the new replacement clamps do not have a big enough gap for adjusting the clamps so they only last a little while in comparison to the original clamps.
What I do to overcome this problem is either cut a larger gap between the clamp using a tiny hacksaw or use a very thin file to make the gap larger which allows the clamp to tighten up effectively even after a lot of constant adjusting / tightening.
Depends on what you mean by 'ages', needlesstosay.

I tried the old 'widening the gap' trick on mine, which I know in theory should work, but, and it's a big BUT, what you cannot do is increase the scope for movement of the cam surface, and it's that that pinches the pole.  The gap can be as big as you like, but if the cam does not compensate...

Maybe it's the cam that's wearing not the pole?

I guess we'll never know.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 12:02:37 am »
I would just reiterate that I never sanded my ionics pole.

THe clamps, as I remember, had very little scope for adjustment in themsleves, so that any wear on the pole eventually got the better of the clamps.

The original clamps that come fitted on an Ionics pole lasts for ages.
When the clamps wear out and need replacing I've found the new replacement clamps do not have a big enough gap for adjusting the clamps so they only last a little while in comparison to the original clamps.
What I do to overcome this problem is either cut a larger gap between the clamp using a tiny hacksaw or use a very thin file to make the gap larger which allows the clamp to tighten up effectively even after a lot of constant adjusting / tightening.
Depends on what you mean by 'ages', needlesstosay.

I tried the old 'widening the gap' trick on mine, which I know in theory should work, but, and it's a big BUT, what you cannot do is increase the scope for movement of the cam surface, and it's that that pinches the pole.  The gap can be as big as you like, but if the cam does not compensate...

Maybe it's the cam that's wearing not the pole?

I guess we'll never know.

An alternative to using Ionics cams on their clamps is to fit the pennel clamp style wingnut (with a spring inside) and glue the bolt to the clamp. It works and will outlast any standard Ionic clamp as it grips the pole much more secure.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 06:51:53 am »
How much are pennel clamps ?

Anyone got a pic ?

G & M

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »
just a thought guys I smear super glue around the top of the sections when the pole starts to wear and the brush rotates, it works great. It would probably work at the end of each section as well.
Michael

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 04:24:25 pm »
Funnily enough I still have my old Ionics pole (too much do$h to chuck away) so I would be interested in changing the clamps for 'pennel-type) whatever that is/where to buy?

Wayne Thomas

Re: Clamps that crush? slx? ionics New
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 03:53:12 pm »
Funnily enough I still have my old Ionics pole (too much do$h to chuck away) so I would be interested in changing the clamps for 'pennel-type) whatever that is/where to buy?

Aquafactors (Afd) Tucker poles.
Tell them you just want to buy the spring wing nuts, bolts and springs, NOT the whole clamp part.