Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

why did wine stain turn Green
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:39 pm »
I was out on a pressure washing job today when my customers next door neighbour asked me to look at a 3 day old wine stain on a wool carpet . I did not have me normal spotting kit on van , all I had was a bottle of solutions no 3 , I gave a quick spray after first extracting and it turned green . So why did it turn green first whats the chemistry behind what happened ?

Thanks  John

Nick Johnston

Re: why did wine stain turn Green
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:46 pm »
Have you not heard of Vinho Verde from Portugal? It translates as "green wine"!

*paul_moss

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:54 pm »
John its about PH mate.  In terms of the stain colour you can change it by going up and down the ph scale with different chemicals.Solution number 3 is about ph 10 I think, and the tannin in the red wines needs a chemical with a low ph to remove it, if it has not been set.White vinigar would have done the trick if you did not have any spotting kit with you. If its a strong tannin I will use sodium metabisulphate for removal and reduction.

Doug will prop explain the actual chem side better than me.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

John Gregory

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:02:37 pm »
Thanks Paul , I didn't realise solutions number 3 was ph 10 , if I new I wound not of used it , It says on the bottle it is suitable for Wine and citric juices , fortunately I was rinsing with fibre and fabric rinse, ave I set this stain or is there a good chance of removing it with more suitable products

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:22:34 pm »
Acid rinse and then spray and go from Chemspec allow to dwell and hwe.

Shaun

*paul_moss

Re: why did wine stain turn Green New
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:46:50 pm »
John, no.3 wont have set it in,no doubt the customer will have had a go first.
Shauns advice is good, any tannin remover should remove/ reduce it down. If there is permanent staining after the wash then move onto a reducer/oxidiser.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

markpowell

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:52:06 pm »
Try browning prescription diluted 1-1 with cold water 20 mins dwell and rinse with cold water, you could always go down the oxi-brite route if you need to.
Mark

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 08:44:53 pm »
Hi Guys

If you dab with neat acid rinse that should turn it back green,then extract with Pureclean, then reducing bleach as mentioned.

Cheers

Doug

markpowell

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:21:58 am »
John,
No.3 will remove the wine but not  the tannin mark that the wine has left, this needs working on as a seperate stain with an low ph chem as mentioned above.
mark