Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

angela stone

Expanding
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:16:31 pm »
Hi guys,

Currently I have one person who works for me - or rather with me as we do each job together.  I am at the point now where we can't take anything else on as a team of 2 therefore I am going to advertise for some staff.
It is likely that the new member of staff will have to work some hours on their own. 

So, as this will be new to me, I want to be fair but obviously my profit margin isn't that big to be too generous. 

How do you work with mobile cleaners who work for you?  I will be paying travel time in between jobs at normal rate, but does anyone pay mileage costs on top, if so how much?

Your help would be appreciated

ange

wilclean

Re: Expanding
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:40:45 am »
Hi Ange

I'm the same as you or just coming upto that point - at the mo its just me and my wife but if we get any more jobs on I think we would be over streching our selves and will have to start thinking about employing someone to take on any new jobs. It would be interesting to find out what advice you get from other members of the cleanitup forum.

Paul

Paul Kettless

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:18 am »
We pay our staff only for the hours they actually clean, but  with a daily fuel allowance when needed.

Lone working is not a problem, and in the week the majority of our staff work on there own.  If you have a look on the business link website you will find all the information you need, and more.

Hope this helps
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

wilclean

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:49 am »
Hi dg

How are you getting on with the buyer are they still going through with it?

Paul

Paul Kettless

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
also remember you are respobnsible for paying their holidays which requires extra money!

True, but then you have already covered that cost when you price your jobs (or atleast you should have, including your own)

wilclean

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:02:05 am »
Hi dg

Can you send me some details : p.wilson15@ntlworld.com  as I might be interested.

Paul

deborah waters

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:27:44 am »
Hi ange,
been doing domestic cleaning for about 8 yrs now only pay for hours worked not travel time about £6 per hour is average (you wouldn't expect a boss to pay you for time spent on the bus to work)you should charge at least £12 p/h but £15 is not too unusual.
If staff are self transporting then a mileage allowance should be paid on top of hourly rate.
Staff are a headache but it can be worth it to your profit margin if done right.
mileage allowance is currently 40p per mile under 10,000 miles and 25p per mile over 10,000 miles.
Watch out for customer poaching!
Debs:-)

Paul Kettless

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:40 pm »
Staff are a headache but it can be worth it to your profit margin if done right.

Funny statement, staff are the heart and soul of any good company.  Therefore, staff are an assett.

angela stone

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:39:20 pm »
Hi guys

thanks for taking the time to reply with some good advice.

I use business link on a regular basis, its a good reference point.  will have a look at the lone worker stuff.

Oh I hate health and safety!  I do have H&S docs but I will defo review them all before I advertise and contact hse.gov 

We have an employment contract and our custs have t&c's but I don't have anything to do with cust poaching.  Do you reference this  for the staff and the customers and what do you put?  (Get yer mitts off! lol!)

Thanks

Ange