Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

oil off new charcoal colour limestone flags
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:16 pm »
just been asked to clean a big oil spill off new charcoal coloured limestone flags. she said her father got some off on one flag with turps. but its so much oil it would take some amount of turps to do it, she said the flags were sealed too which will help stop the oil soaking in, im thinking of just using a degreaser, if the turps did it then this should i hope, anyone else done these.

Gerry Styles

Re: oil off new charcoal colour limestone flags
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:33:59 pm »
Try Ultrapac Retnovate from prochem. Its solvent free and good on degreasing
Premier Klean Limited

trevor perry

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 04:33:46 pm »
if the flags have been sealed then a degreaser should work fine, to avoid putting oil everywhere i wouldnt use a powerwasher i would use a rotary floor scrubber with a brush attachment and then suck it up with a wet vac.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Roger Oakley

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:54:10 pm »
Drive Surgeon
Try oil-techics OT8 safe to use on Limstone.
I would be careful with a degreaser if Xylene based as you say the surface is sealed and the Xylene could lift the sealer.
Here is Oil-Techics web site  www.oiltechnics.co.uk

drive surgeon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:02:48 pm »
cheers rog many thanks again! ;D

karygate

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:26:11 am »
would you use that on all oil spills on block paving etc
gary

Roger Oakley

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:22:47 pm »
would you use that on all oil spills on block paving etc

What the OT8? Yes that and/or Tech-Cleans de-greaser.

karygate

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:46:38 pm »
thanks
gary

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 07:04:40 pm »
hi tried to remove this twice with a heavy tfr but no joy, think its soaked into the flags thru the sealer, can the woman get a sealer to go on top to darken the whole lot so you cant see the oil patches as you cant see them when its wet?? ???

Roger Oakley

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:57:43 pm »
hi tried to remove this twice with a heavy tfr but no joy, think its soaked into the flags thru the sealer, can the woman get a sealer to go on top to darken the whole lot so you cant see the oil patches as you cant see them when its wet?? ???

Did you not try the OT8 or a good de-greaser?

drive surgeon

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
not managed to get any yet rog, think the oil has really penetrated the flags tho so it aint easy, think it would be best to seal over it all to hide the dark patches.  the woman said she tried turs on a small patch and it came off but this iss all over the drive, i have never seen a oil spill like it on a newly laid limestone flagged drive or any drive for that matter,  its in little pat hes all over and the drive is around 70 sq metres.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:10 pm »
not managed to get any yet rog, think the oil has really penetrated the flags tho so it aint easy, think it would be best to seal over it all to hide the dark patches.  the woman said she tried turs on a small patch and it came off but this iss all over the drive, i have never seen a oil spill like it on a newly laid limestone flagged drive or any drive for that matter,  its in little pat hes all over and the drive is around 70 sq metres.

Sealing in the oil will look s**t plus it is not very pro. The OT8 should get the oil out or tech-cleans de-greaser, do the job proplerly Jamie and charge accordingly.

drive surgeon

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 09:09:20 pm »
ok rog thanks, will order some stuff tomoro, which do think is the best ot8 or tech clean?   how did you say you applied it just with a stiff brush?  cheers rog, appreciate your help again. :)

Roger Oakley

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 07:15:00 am »
ok rog thanks, will order some stuff tomoro, which do think is the best ot8 or tech clean?   how did you say you applied it just with a stiff brush?  cheers rog, appreciate your help again. :)

I carry and use both, Tech-Cleans has to go on a dry surface so I would use that first, then follow up with the OT8, really depends how bad the stain is though. OT8 is good enough on it's own though, I'll just hit oil stains twice to make sure that they are out.