Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Andrew44

BOOSTER PUMP QUESTION
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:04:16 pm »
I've got a water softner under kitchen sink and will be running the softened water to shed.  Is it best to have the booster pump under the sink after water softner or in shed just before the RO unit?

I presume I'll need a booster pump even with reasonable pressue as I've been told it will help increase pure water output.

ta

Tim Rose

Re: BOOSTER PUMP QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:13:08 pm »
I'd be tempted to put the boooooster pump after the softener.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:25:21 pm »
I'd be tempted to put the boooooster pump after the softener.
I dont think it would make any difference where you put it to be honest.

Andrew44

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »
So would it be acceptable to put it in the shed before the RO.  Shed is 4 yards from house so pipe will run from kitchen to shed.

Thanks

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:07:18 pm »
Just make sure you put plenty of lagging on the pipe ;)

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »
my shed is at least 50 yards from my house tap then once through ro unit it travels back at least 60 yards to my ibc tank with out booster pump . if i was to use a softner i would put booster pump before resin then to ro unit .
where theres muck theres money

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:24:43 pm »
my shed is at least 50 yards from my house tap then once through ro unit it travels back at least 60 yards to my ibc tank with out booster pump . if i was to use a softner i would put booster pump before resin then to ro unit .
would it not push softning resin into RO ?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »
wouldnt like to say ian but i thought the idea of a booster pump was to keep pressure up if water is coming through a resin surely this would slow it down . where as a booster pump before would keep pressure same , after all a booster pump is fitted before ro unit . could be wrong in what i say but i would go pump , softner , ro , then di . but thats me what would you do . by the way i cant really see a softner resin gettin in to ro as its in its own pod .

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:57 pm »
wouldnt like to say ian but i thought the idea of a booster pump was to keep pressure up if water is coming through a resin surely this would slow it down . where as a booster pump before would keep pressure same , after all a booster pump is fitted before ro unit . could be wrong in what i say but i would go pump , softner , ro , then di . but thats me what would you do . by the way i cant really see a softner resin gettin in to ro as its in its own pod .
i was thinking along the same lines, but isnt the booster pump used just to get more pressure on the RO membrane to get a lower tds out.
all this is new to me, just installed second di vessal to save on resin. now need some better connections as they leak a little if moved. any idea where I can get some of these from as the ones I have break quite quickly.

Ian

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:02:31 pm »
i run my ro 200gpd without booster pump so dont think its pressure for membrane . i would honestly go pump softner ro then di . if you put softner before pump i think this would reduce flow could be wrong so dont take my word for it .

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
i run my ro 200gpd without booster pump so dont think its pressure for membrane . i would honestly go pump softner ro then di . if you put softner before pump i think this would reduce flow could be wrong so dont take my word for it .
I have a 4040 with no booster pump, my tds is sky high it is eating resin hence the need for softner, I am thinking of getting a booster pump aswell, just when I do it I want to do it right.
anyone else have any input.

Ian

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »
ian you obviously are in a hard water area . put your softner before ro then use di with out pump and see what happens . i can remember some time ago i was moving and i put a topic on of just using a softner & di asking if this would work ? the answer was yes as i tryed it you never no till you try mate .

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »
I've got a water softner under kitchen sink and will be running the softened water to shed.  Is it best to have the booster pump under the sink after water softner or in shed just before the RO unit?

I presume I'll need a booster pump even with reasonable pressue as I've been told it will help increase pure water output.

ta

I would put the pump just before the RO unit.  This would limit the potential for high pressure leaks between the pump and the shed.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 08:25:03 pm »
would this come before softner resin or after . would it be softner, pump,ro then di . as i would have thought going through softner resin would restrict the water flow dos anyone use a softner ro and resin if so hows it set up .

Andrew44

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:04:28 pm »
Thanks for all your input but it does seem that are different opinions.

I never thought of putting the pump before the softner.  It was always going to be:

Softner/Pump/RO/DI

But the question was really about the pumps location.  I thought in the shed was best rather than in kitchen under sink.

However, there seems to be confusion on position of Pump.  Do most agree that the sequence should be:

Softner/Pump/RO/DI

NWH

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:29:31 pm »
Dave the water would be softened first,the idea of this is that it will save prefilters and RO.