Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Hugh Janus

hospital carpet clean
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:58 am »
hi guys,  i've been asked to go and quote to clean all the carpets in quite a large hospital and have no idea how to price something like that up as 99% of what i do is domestic.  I think i'm just going to try and work it out on a time basis and charge for how many hours i think it will take but am very wary that this method of pricing is practically impossible to get exactly right, and when dealing with something this big the margin for error is also very big.  Any guys with any experience in this field your comments would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Joe H

Re: hospital carpet clean
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »
When you say all the carpets - in what areas are the carpets?

Hugh Janus

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:35 pm »
none on the actual wards but there are lots of admin offices, staff restrooms, a handfull of large corridors/walkways and some big open communal areas such as the restaurant and reception areas.  potentially a nightmare job because most of it will be unsociable hours and even then there will be members of staff/public milling around. The nearest to it i've done before was a couple of indian restaurants which i carged at 25p sq ft and they cleared all areas to be cleaned for me so i've never come close to a job of this scale i would'nt even like to try and measure it accurately, you'd need one of them wheel thingy's!

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:51 pm »
What machines do you have? ie HWE, rotary, etc

Hugh Janus

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:09:51 pm »
hwe and rotary but can count on one hand the amount of times i've used rotary so will be using hwe

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:15:11 pm »
Ok - have we determined you are not cleaning in "medical" areas. Yes? Yes

You obviously need to dosome measurement - what I do is break a room into bits if it anything but square/oblong etc. Measure it as if smaller areas.

25p sq ft seems ok (some will say more) but take into account extra set up time if rooms are a long way from your vehiclen and of course hospital car park charges!

Consider using the rotary on larger areas - is it going to be quicker?
If carpets are really bad, ie restaurant, then HWE might be better.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:35 pm »
Hugh

Logistics for such a large area could be a nightmare. Fetching and carrying large quantities of water could be a No No.  I would definately clean as much as possible with an LM system.  Rinse/extraction would be only a last resort. Noise may be an issue.

You will need everything to be upto date re. PAT testing. If you have a £5k basic products liability insurance it will be totally inadequate, so too may be your Public Liability. If you have any help, do you carry Employers Liability? Check all this out before you go. If you're asked questions, you'll look a fool if you don't know.

Method statements, MSDS,  H&S policy etc. etc. may be asked for.

Be prepared.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

from edge2edge

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:02 pm »
HUGH iM SURE YOU ARE THE CHAP FROM nORWICH WHO BOUGHT MY YELLOW DRIER OFF ME LAST YEAR.Anway with such a large amount of rooms to do it might be best to use two methods of cleaning(spray one step microplitter and go over with a bonnet mop using a rotor gives good results and doesnt knacker you out so much).obviously you coult hwe the heavy duty areas.

Mr Dvae

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:55 pm »
 :) probably havn't been cleaned for about 90 years