Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mrs Nicholls

probs with an employee
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:20:36 pm »
Hi all,

here i am at problem city again.  :D

If you had an employee who has a bad attitude, doesnt want to do some work, is late on occaision, switches of her phone when she finishes a job so we cant contact her about her next job of the day, then she goes home.
Customers have made a few complaints, her supervisor is complaining about her because she leaves early, does a half arsed job and has a moan and face of thunder because she just want to get things done (or not done) and go home.

she complains about the supervisor, and another member of staff has complained about her, saying that she looked at a room that need vacuuming, said oh ive checked it, it looks fine. then locks the door behind her (medical centre dr office), then writes down on the charter that the other employee did all the vacuuming, and then doesnt even say goodbye to the other employee or what jobs are left to be done, and just leaves!

Would you say she was takin the pee?

i gave her new rota's and because of bank hol, had to change some jobs slightly, she said i thought i was just to stick to the rota and it not get changed! so i said the rota's will change as the business needs do, as it says on the contract, which she is yet to sign (been over 13 weeks) but i did give it to her  a bit late.

she has such a bad catty attitude and my customers are starting to pick up on it.

i have had a word with her, but she is disrepectful, as shes older than me and thinks she can just say what she wants.

What would you do in this situation? I know shes moving house etc and has things on but so we all do.

shelton

Re: probs with an employee
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:25:18 pm »
I think you know the answer . ..  life is too short to waste your time on this.

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:45:33 pm »
I'm going to have to go through disaplinary now though arent i? verbal, 2 written and final out the door.

she resents our key policy. and wont stick to it. all i ask is that keys are picked up at the office in the morning and returned in the evening before the cleaners knock off, ready for the next weeks visit. she hates the idea of it and says its just more hassle.  >:( :(

chrismroberts

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:51:28 pm »
If she hasn't signed the contract, are you still legally bound to keep her on? Seems to me there are no obligations either way until the contract is signed....

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:41:10 pm »
What would you do in this situation?

You need to recognise that it is your business that customers will talk about and not mrs smith the employee.
Sack her before she tarnishes your company name any further!!!

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:14:52 pm »
i have just re-red our employment contract, and rules & regs & job description which the employees all get, and it says a bit before disciplinary about ending the employment. it says "if you want to leave this employement you must give us min stat notice, we must give you min stat notice if we want to end this employment"

can i just give her 1 week notice and not explain why? seems a bit underhand, i dont want a tribunal cos i didnt go through the disciplinary.

Art

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:34 pm »
If she's worked for you for less than a year, then sack her

Bertie Boo

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:39:34 pm »
Lisa

what the hell was she like in the interview? I am intruiged to know where she worked before....i've met her type before and i dont envy you........

Cyber hugs

Stephen

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:45:58 pm »
hiya

she was very nice at the interview, showed me her certificates, nvq's in housekeeping etc even one on colour coding, (she often gets caught out using the wrong cloths so dont know how she got that one). She worked in hotel and catering, supervising maids doing house keeping etc.

Should have heard her this morning when she was an hour late, she was laughing it off,saying well you know im not normally late, ive got everything going on etc, i just said "so what" custy was waiting for u so she could go out!!

I could say, i'm very sorry but i dont think its working out we are going to have to let you go, 1 weeks notice blah de blah.

Feel awfulthough cos she in the process of moving home etc. i spose if i sack her she will still get benfits, cos if she resigns she will get nothing from jobcentre for 6 mths.

Bertie Boo

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 11:58:02 pm »
i'm wondering if she lied about her experience? Mind you, all the training in the world counts for nothing if the the trainee fails to impliment what they've learnt......

The fact she is moving house is not your conceren, you are worried enough about the impact she has on your business...

This is why i could never employ staff- i would be far to concerened about THEIR welfare, even when their behaviour impacts my own business......

Stephen

Fox

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:01:41 am »
Hi Lisa

We all come across employees like this at times and it is a right pain, but you need to toughen up girl!

By law you can tell this employee you no longer require her services and give her one weeks notice.  To do it strictly by the book write to her saying you are considering dismissal and ask her to come to see you.  (I write on the Fri and ask them to come on Mon and hand deliver the letter).  You don't have to tell her why you want to dismiss her, just sit her down and say I'm sorry but the company feels that you are not the suitable candidate for your position therefore we are giving you one weeks notice and your finish date will be ...  If she asks questions you don't have to answer them but I find it's easier to say something like 'it's obvious your not happy here and it's showing in your work, you are lacking in enthusiam and it is showing in your standards, this is best for both parties' if she objects just simply say 'sorry the decision has been made'. 

If she leaves there and then of her own accord you only have to pay her holiday accrued and not the notice period, if you don't want her to work the notice period you have to pay her for the period anyway.

Be tough Lisa, does she think about you when she's making the cock ups - no - don't even give her private life a thought, people like her always get through but please don't keep her at the expense of your business.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Fox

*Chris Browne

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:38:51 am »
Lisa, you seem to have a lot of probs with staff /clients/partner etc ;D ;D ;D ;D, are you scarey? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chris

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 11:16:29 am »
 ;D

im not scary, maybe im a bit of a walk over and these people think they can get away with it, because they have been doing so far.

unless im a contrl freak   :o   turning in to my dad,  ;D (also a manager and a bloddy good one, takes no cr&p