Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Glen

Dog earring and GG4
« on: September 28, 2004, 01:07:15 am »
Having read numerous posts extolling the virtues of the above I decided to give it a go today.

I am beginning to wonder is this a classic case of the Emperors new clothes! I dog earred two channels - a 14" Unger with an ergotec handle and Unger Hard rubber and an 18" Unger with an ergotec handle and Unger Soft rubber. It made no difference to the 14" - it still left a line alongside the rubber seal of the frame which had to be detailed and sometimes it was even worse than before I dog earred! It made a slight difference to the 18" but I still had to detail.
Am I doing something wrong??
What type of rubber should I use?
How much overlap of rubber should there be and should it be cut at an angle?

I used GG4 ( I live in a hard water area)at the rate of 4ml per litre of water. I found it ok on older windows with real glass and wooden frames but not on uPVC windows. It just doesn't have enough "slip" and you can feel and hear it squeeking on the glass. This is especially annoying on smaller panes of glass when you have to start at the top in a horizontal position, drop the left of the squeegie to a diagonal position, pull across and then pull the right hand side of the channel down to the bottom of the pane - it judders and catches and makes a right mess. I like the lack of suds but what about the slip??

Please Help!

wrighty

Re: Dog earring and GG4
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 02:00:24 am »
Sounds like you need to experiment with it as I did and I'm sure others did too.

If it is squeeking you need more GG4 in your water.

I use 20mls to 8ltrs of water.

Hope this helps

Craig

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 07:51:54 pm »
Trial and error, you don't need to cut the rubber at an angle, but make sure you don't have too much jutting out either side of the channel.
Haven't tried out GG3 or 4 yet, at the moment I am using the unger liquid and have been very impressed with it.
I am a WFP convert of some 4 months now, so only use traditional methods when I can't use WFP, but the water I use in my bucket has first been purified as for WFP, so it is as soft as it is possible to be.
There are times when I use very little liquid indeed (unger liquid) and you can almost use the squeegee without any additives at all in the water and it will still glide nicely over the glass ;D
Another bonus of water fed poles methinks 8)

I only heard of dog earing on the forums, glad I did to, stick with it and adapt your technique.

With very small panes of glass I have found that trying to squeegee them in the same way as a large pane is pretty ineffective, either use a spayer with your GG4 in and mist and buff, or use a damp scrim to clean, and a dry scrim to buff.
I have used a small squeegee, but have found the 'amateur' method of one wipe across the glass and wipe the rubber and repeat. But not to much water on whatever you are using to wet the glass with, and edge the panes on the top and side edges quickly with a damp scrim first, that also helps reduce detailing and mopping up on small panes.
Another disadvantage of squeegee-ing small panes is that on the turns, after a day or too, you will see the kicks and lines of your squeegee-ing.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 07:57:27 pm »
Oh bother >:(
As an add on to my last post I meant to also say that I have several cut down channels that will fit to perfection several of the accounts I have so that I only need a single wipe of the squeegee and the pane is done.
Now THAT really does make a difference on small panes. :o

Ian

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 09:25:38 pm »
Is there an archive for messages on this group? If so ,go back to around March time.
`Dog-Earing` was covered extensivly.Al l the answers to all questions are there.

Lewis Doubtfire, Gleem Clean ( Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Glen

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 10:34:45 pm »
Having tried various combinations over the last few days, I just can't get enough "slip" from my solution. I live in a hard water area and have used GG4 at 2.5ml per litre and 4.5ml/litre - still sticking on slow turns on small windows. I have also "borrowed" some soft water and that is the same. Is there something I can add to the GG4 to give it that extra slip?
Also, does dog-earring make it harder to turn?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 07:30:43 am »
The trouble with adding something like a little fairy to your water to go along with the GG4 is that you spoil the effect off the GG4.

Have you tried varying between soft and hard rubbers?

When you say you are sticking on slow turns on small panes, just how small are the panes?

There does come a point when the squeegee becomes ineffective and you are quicker using a sprayer or a damp scrim to clean, and a dry scrim (or microfibre) to buff up.

Ian

Glen

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 01:19:42 pm »
Ian,

Say a window of about 28" square using a 14" squeegee or any window below several feet wide.Even with a large window I have to end up taking the squeegee off the glass when I am near the bottom of the window as there is not enough slip when I slow down , wiping the blade and then going across one more time to finish it off. In essence, I cannot clean a window in one go without taking the squeegee off the glass.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 08:12:23 pm »
Glen,for extra `slip` without leaving a film or anything like that,try adding some water softner powder
to your solution.It`s available at Tesco`s or Sainsbury`s supermarkets.Karlosdaze put me onto it some
time ago now,and I find its `ace`.You`ll have to experiment with dosages etc. till you `hit on` the right
mix thats for you(personal preference.).A `dog-eared` channel should`nt have any effect or have any
bearing on your `turns`,but overall it is very beneficial that you have like box profile cut outs to get full
advantage on u.p.v.c. frames otherwise a `dog-eared` channel is in my view anyway a waste of time.You`ll have to reasearch the archives for further information but it is worthwhile you doing it.This
might get ya going in a different direction.

Lewis Doubtfire, Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Glen

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 10:37:28 pm »
Lewis,

What do you mean by "box profile cut-outs"?

Glen.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 07:43:03 pm »
Can`t remember which group it was,but last March or so I went into it in good detail really.
Look back into the archives,if you`ve no success let me have your private e,mail address,
but search first,you`ve everyone elses views and findings.There are some photo`s also if
I recall.

Lewis Doubtfire Gleem Clean ( Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

pete fearn

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 09:01:45 pm »
I tryed GG4 for the first time today after getting a free sample, used 1fl/oz to half a bucket of warm water, approx 5lts. I was told by the suppler to use a new or washed applicator sleve with GG4, had no problems and will be ordering 5lts a s a p.
   Pete
Pete's Window cleaning