Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris R

Advert Design - Tips. New
« on: September 28, 2004, 01:41:55 am »
Staffordshire

Ian Gourlay

Re: Advert Design - Tips.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 11:33:11 am »
The question I have never had answered in simple terms is how much of the wording idea do you have to change so as not to infringe copyright.

Also I had an advert put in Local Directory which they designed.

I supplied most of the words and idees but they say copyright is theirs for that advert.

In other words cant use it elswhere.

paulchambers

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 12:12:01 pm »
Whatever you put in yp when it comes out i'm sure you had wished you added something else or taking something away good luck with it any way   Paul

ps if i ever look in yp which isnt that often i tend to read the linage as i find it easy to spot the local number.  Paul

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:11:42 pm »
Ian

Don’t think one, can copyright words, examples 20 times more powerful, if we cant clean it, it cannot be cleaned.

However you may supply the words but they design it then the own it, even though you paid for it.  The same applies on web say if you get you designer to registers your domain name they own it not you.

Re copyrights don’t they have to register it and pay a fee? Intellectual property another issue, am a bit of a barrack room lawyer. ;D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 02:48:18 pm »
As I  understand it If I wrote a sales letter and then posted it to myself and kept the envelope sealed the Copywrite of that letter would be mine.

However if I had lifted substantial chunks from someone elses letter and they had done the above would I have infringed their copyright.

The same applies for advert designs.

All these JP adverts in Yellow Pages etc

Have they paid a fee

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:55:31 pm »
Ian
Worth checking this site out http://www.patent.gov.uk/

What is Copyright?

Before you go any further you need to know that there is no official register for copyright. It is an unregistered right (unlike patents, registered designs or trade marks). So, there is no official action to take, (no application to make, forms to fill in or fees to pay). Copyright comes into effect immediately, as soon as something that can be protected is created and "fixed" in some way, eg on paper, on film, via sound recording, as an electronic record on the internet, etc.
It is a good idea for you to mark your copyright work with the copyright symbol © followed by your name and the date, to warn others against copying it, but it is not legally necessary in the UK. ??? ???

I have yet to see any advert with this © so I will copy, nick words and phases to my hearts content. ;D ;D

By the way this thread is ©

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 10:15:47 pm »
Ian,
The JP advert design etc you see in YPs are copyright, but those who have purchased the Piranah Marketing package from Alltec are allowed to use the YP ad and any other material in the package.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:03:55 pm »
Is the JP or any advert a design or layout?

Len

Dave_Lee

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 02:53:54 am »
Len,
Sorry, when I said copyright I was refferring to the text.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 10:25:53 am »
Hi GUYs,

If you copied the adverts word for word you could have copyright problems ,  but if you rewrote the same thing in your own words then you wouldn't have a problem.

Afterall there is nothing in these adverts which has'nt been claimed before , by someone else in the past and it is highly likely that JP was influenced by other ads he had read.

I can remember YP ads offering to give money back if not happy which appeared years ago.

Cheers,

Doug