Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

holly1402

What to charge?
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:21:03 pm »
Hi ,Can anyone tell me the right way cost a job up (if there is one) .I have tended to count how many windows there are charge £1 for each ,Then tell the customer it will be £10 ( 10 windows £1 a time) ,Sometimes they say its too expensive ,But some say ok .  I would like any advice on this please .
             Thanks Mark ???

Re: What to charge?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:46:40 pm »
I charge the following:
£1 per window/hole in the wall.
£2.50 for a bay window
£2 per leaded window
If it comes to less then a tenner i bump it up. My min price is £10
If you stick to a min price you wont end up with a round were you work every hour god sends for a poor wage.

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:59:09 pm »
It seems to depend on what part of the country you live, £1 a window in London would be cheap but in some places far too much

KarlJones

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 03:58:49 am »
Sometimes they say its too expensive ,But some say ok .  I would like any advice on this please .

I would say that you have got your prices right just from this sentance alone,  someone else pointed out that some folks will pay anything but in general there is a limit to what people will pay before it becomes a case of "I will go and buy a ladder and start up myself!".  Then there is the hourly rate your willing to earn, you need to calculate it. 

Put it this way, 3 quotes per hour, cleaning speed 2 houses per hour...

if those 10 window houses were 50p a window and they all said yes then in 1 hour you have just gained 15 quids worth of work at 10 quid per hour.

if those 10 window houses were 75p a window and 2 said yes then in 1 hour you have gained 15 quids worth of work at 15 quid per hour.

if those 10 window houses were 1 quid a window and only 1 said yes then you have gained 10 quids worth of work at 20 quid per hour.

What I am trying to show is that upto a limit the actual amount in financial terms of new orders per hour you pull in does not vary that much sometimes even being no different at all.  Sometimes it could be higher by charging more.  But what will always be in your favour is the hourly rate if you can get customers at a better price.

jeez I babble!

to sum up.  financialy your business will build at a rate not much different than if you under charged though the amount of customers will be lower.  Your hourly rate will deffinetly improve though.

So why choose a lower hourly rate if it does not help the business much in any way?

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 07:38:54 am »
1) Decide what you want to earn an hour i.e £40
2) Decide how long the job will take i.e 15 minutes
3) Charge according to your rate £20/4 =£10

On bigger jobs this pricing will help as you will be overcharging if you price per window.

Also take into consideration your area and local window cleaners rates, you need to be certain your not deliberately undercutting as that is a NO NO!!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

holly1402

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:10 pm »
Thanks guys for  all your help and advice ,its really helped me to know how much to charge . :D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:19:45 pm »
1) Decide what you want to earn an hour i.e £40
2) Decide how long the job will take i.e 15 minutes
3) Charge according to your rate £20/4 =£10

On bigger jobs this pricing will help as you will be overcharging if you price per window.

Also take into consideration your area and local window cleaners rates, you need to be certain your not deliberately undercutting as that is a NO NO!!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Yea I wonder how that goes, big houses do get quite expensive if you price per window. What would you say is the point where you have to charge per hour? I'm always pricing per window, works great so far. I got loads of £20+ customers, and they don't really seem to mind the high price. Even got a £115 customer  ;D

tatman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:27 pm »
i look at the job and decide how long it would take to clean. Are the windows easy to get to etc. How many ladder climbs. £1 is quite expensive for this area to be honest northants. Work out what you want to earn. I think £20 hour trad is a realistic target. £40 maybe wfp i dont know. ??? if you can get alot of houses in a row id keep the price down ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:47:45 am »
i look at the job and decide how long it would take to clean. Are the windows easy to get to etc. How many ladder climbs. £1 is quite expensive for this area to be honest northants. Work out what you want to earn. I think £20 hour trad is a realistic target. £40 maybe wfp i dont know. ??? if you can get alot of houses in a row id keep the price down ;D
I'm not so sure about that last sentence regarding a lower price if the round is compact.  I did that years ago and fell flat on my face as customers moved/cancelled/messed me around and the work became less compact but still at the lower rate.  I price each job as if it was an individual job in that immediate area because one day, it just might be.

KarlJones

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:33 am »
yup, compaction is a way to improve wages rather than improve value.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

mogy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:13 pm »
Hi 
 Ifound that if I kept  quoting  the prices i  would have  liked , it was to dear  for local conditions , so try for the figures you want ........and if  more than 50% say your to dear , adjust your price acordingly , but if all except  ... your  to cheap
    Mogy

jules0267

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:14:37 pm »
ok, this works, location, competition, and how much they earn, mim 10