Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Terry A

Varistream or different?
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:34 am »
My Varistream has packed up.I've had it a while so can't complain but is there anything better or cheaper about?

It started to turn itself on as well anyone had that?

Terry.

Re: Varistream or different?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »
Yes, I've turned myself on sometimes.

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:39 pm »

It started to turn itself on as well anyone had that?

Terry.

Thats a common problem with the digital one.

Varistreams never seem to last that long, they don't appear to be that robust.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:37 pm »
Hi Terry,

Never had a problem with any of mine in all the 6 years I've been WFPing. Had Mk1, Mk2 and have 2 of the first digital models which I am still using.

There is a thread on here at the moment where one of the cleaners is having 'issues' with his new Varistreams (had the same issues with another make) and he says that the latest Varistreams are made by a different company now and have all sorts of new diagnostic features.

So please buy one and give us your honest feedback.

If I were you, I would open your varistream up and check to see if there isn't any condensation inside which is causing the problem.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Terry A

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »
Thanks Spruce

Interesting reply.I did find some moisture inside.

Do you think a squirt of wd40 would do any harm?

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:26:59 pm »
Hi Terry,

WD40? I don't know. It is supposed to be a water repellant, but I'm not sure about electronics. I would probably try to dry it completely using a gentle warm airflow from a hair dryer. I would also try to clean the board and contacts up with Isopropyl Alcohol BP (available from your local chemist) and a couple of cotton wool buds (ear buds).

Spruce

woody1

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:47:43 am »
sorry guys quick question, iam just setting up my new wfp equipment when i install the pump to the varistream am i right in pulling the wire that works the presure switch or am i rreding wrong if so which wire is it

thanks

Terry A

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:00:16 am »
I ignore the pressure  switch when using a varistream.

gto

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:45 am »
sorry guys quick question, iam just setting up my new wfp equipment when i install the pump to the varistream am i right in pulling the wire that works the presure switch or am i rreding wrong if so which wire is it

thanks

i just wired mine up as it came in the box, and have had no problems at all. just leave it as is and try it.

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:24:30 am »
The suppliers of Varistream, Williamson Pumps, advise that the pressure switch on the pump is to be by-passed, ie disconnected. I think I would rather take their advise myself.

thanks

i just wired mine up as it came in the box, and have had no problems at all. just leave it as is and try it.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:50 am »
I have an old mk 3 analogue varistream and a Liquid logic.  As for pressure switch, I've found that can cause hassle if it sticks to off, but other than that it's like a fail safe to stop over pressure, I personally bypass it and wire the pump straight into the controller.

The comparison between the 2 controllers, the varistream seems to go to sleep if not used for a while and it can take about 5+ seconds to get going again, but that is the older model, the varistreams also seem to have a soft start up which is easier on the pump.  The liquid logic is great, very easy to set up with a large scope for adjustment and it tells you the voltage of the battery which is good.  It doesn't have a soft startup though so every 2 seconds it pulses the pump at the set speed.

It is worth checking for dampness in the unit as these things are only water tight, they will let water vapour through.  I had this problem with the liquid logic as vapour from my gas heater was getting in.  A blast with the hair drier and repositioning it solved the problem.

Simon.