Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Gott

pH discrepancies
« on: July 22, 2004, 12:43:01 am »
Does anybody find that the actual pH of an undiluted chemical as supplied does not agree with that stated by the manufacturer?

If so, is there a reasonable explanation?

I am referring to  discrepancies between 1 and .5 pH.
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

Re: pH discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 01:01:59 am »
Neil

Products are probably tested with pure water (pH 7.0) Tap water can vary by about pH2.0 around the areas and whether it's a wet or dry time of the year. Also, unbuffered products especially can vary with accuracy/degree of concentration e.g Chemspec Liquid Formula 90. Also batch variation, the variable accuracies of pH meters/ indicator papers. Lots and lots of room for variations. In critical situations, it's probably wise to take a manufacturers specs as a guide only.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:23:02 am »
Neal,

If you are using indicator papers these have an error of plus or minus 0.5 which gives you your 1 pH range.

Cheers,

Doug

Ed Valentine

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »
Neil;

Ken Wainwright hit on alot of "variations" and truths.

Also, added to this variation is the actual raw material & variations in brands (used as subsitutions)  of raw materials.

Improvements in the product can also change the actual ph slightly.

However, I like to think through my own experience on both sides of the fence, that the majority of manufacturers will only do things to the advantage of their customers in terms of product.

Good Fortune and good post;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.