Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

BRSL

Door Knocking
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:52:46 am »
Ok the summer is over and the phone has started to slow down, starting to get nervouus now, we stuggled last year from nov through too feb as we live in a rural area and christmas is dead so Im going to start door knocking, what are peoples experiances and what way should I approach it

Flyers first - next day door knock
Just Door knock
Door knock say Im checking up on my leaflet distrubution (dont have one)
Offer Free Demo

All advice most Welome
James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

calmore

Re: Door Knocking
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:17:04 pm »
Some people say the run up to Christmas is busy.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

CVC

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:08:14 pm »
Its one of our busiest times. I wouldn't be too sure of cold calling, lots of people hate it and in some areas they have no cold calling zones, at least they do round my area.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:35:56 pm »

Once people realise you are a self employed tradesman they are very polite even if not interested. It's the big company/slimey sales people they object to.

The 'zones' are also a community thing they have no backing as such, a trading standards guy said so on a programme only yesterday.

I respect the signs that say don't knock, but put leaflet thru always.

I am re-reading a book called Techniques in Controlling Fear by Geoff Thompson. Will pay for itself in a couple of hours doorknocking, tenfold.

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:29:47 pm »

Tell them your checking on leaflet dis, it always works for me.
Inform the local police station of which streets you will be knocking
Steer clear of elderly houses look for signs like railings/ disabled sticker in car
(yoy don`t want to be accused of railroading old people)

Enjoy yourself and keep smiling it makes a huge difference, step back and face away from the door once you have knocked, (the person then comes out to you making it much less likely that they will close the door before you have said your spill)

When you get an appointment for a job confirm it with them speaking as loud as you can (with out making it obvious) whilst stood on the doorstep, there will usaully be a neighbour earwigging and if they hear they neigbour has booked up then they usually will too..

Hope this is useful to you...... let me know how you get on

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 03:40:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

When I first started, 1982  we used to door knock every evening after work, can't say I enjoyed it much but with two of us it was more fun, one on each side of the road.

I hated doing it on my own and felt like I was a pain in the butt.

When I had started my new business in 1989, 12 months later the recession hit and I was in big trouble, no monthly salary  :'( , so I decided to cold call commercial.

This worked well and allowed me to survive and eventually become established.

What I liked about commercial was that I felt like a professional sales rep calling on businesses , rather than a pain disturbing people at home.

Cheers

Doug

BRSL

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:06 pm »
Thanks Guys ive delivered 300 leaflets today so am going to follow up tommorrow weather permiting, Andy some good advice thanks, I might take the missis / partner she aint no good at surveys and quotes but she can book them in for me like Doug said it's a bit more fun so here goes it can only get easier

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:41:51 pm »
the 'checking my leaflet was delivered' is the  approach I like ;)

show them a leaflet and ask them if they received one, if they say no tell them you do lots of work in this area so thought it would be a nice idea to let people know that your always available to pop in and give a free, no obligation quote.

then ask the all important question ' how do your carpet look at the moment?' ;) ;) ;)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

BRSL

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 07:18:36 pm »
I do like the idea myself as it's a bit of an ice breaker although a little dishonest, but I do see a flaw in the plan that is you can only knock on 1 in 20 doors as your not likely to knock on more than a couple of doors in one area cheacking on your distrubuter so when they see you knocking on every door looks a little suss.  :-\ :-\
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 09:06:23 pm »
I have written about door knocking before and my advice is still the same , if you need to find customers then it is the surest method of all. I built up my business many years ago in a very short time by knocking on doors. This was long before I discovered Joe Polish and other marketing systems . I simply armed myself with some flyers and went from door to door, knocked or rang the bell and when the door was opened I simply introduced myself  and told them what I did. I always booked in some work every day I went out knocking on doors, sometimes they rang me after a week or so. Whilst it may not be the easiest thing for some people to do, if you have time on your hands it is cheap and it does work.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 01:13:26 pm »
Going back to the Ashbys training.

You put a leaflet out in the Area you are going to knock saying you will be in the Area on XXXX to discuss Carpet Cleaning requirements between xxxxx and xxx.

This gives them time to consider if they have any cleaning needs

Also enables you to ask if they have received leaflet and knock every door.

Wordsmiths can word it better than myself.