Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bryan H

Dogs & Deodorizers
« on: April 27, 2004, 06:14:59 pm »
Hi folks,

Cleaned a rented property today, smelled doggy when I walked in.
I cleaned using 'Clensan" in tank & sprayed with the same afterwards.  Still ponged when I left, although will fade as carpet dries of course.

Anyone really know what the difference is between a "Sanitizer" such as Clensan & a normal deodorizer.  There seem to be so many available now that it is difficult to know which to choose for any particular job.

Could I have found something more appropriate ??   I have usually found that spraying a day before cleaning works better, but not normally practical !

Bryan  
Christal Clean - Berks

Bryan H

Re: Dogs & Deodorizers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 06:19:16 pm »
Nothing electrical !! I didn't type those amps in the heading
This thing has a mind of its own, a bit like Microsoft Word

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 09:53:05 pm »
Bryan,

I sometimes feel that these terms are 'bent' to mean whatever the manufacturer wants them to mean !

Basically, a sanitiser is  either a bactericide or viruscide or both. If it 'removes' an odour, it does so by killing mico-organisms that cause odour.

A deodouriser can  be or contain a sanitiser, or may simply attack the odour by various methods such as encapsulation, molecular degradation, odour pairing or odour masking.

The most effective and complete odour treatment will remove the odour source, treat any secondary (emmited/absorbed) odours and possibly provide some short-term masking for the period that other treatments are performing their function.

It should also be noted that forced ventilation can play an important role at certain stages of odour treatment.

John.

Bryan H

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 10:23:05 pm »
Thanks John,  but why do they make it so confusing?  Prochem alone do several different products, but don't make it clear, at least to me anyway. as to which one will serve a particular purpose best.

I am always left wondering whether I could have achieved a better result with something else.  but which one!!

Still searching for the magic formulae !

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 10:55:19 pm »
Bryan,

Forget about the mytical majic formula, and don't expect too much help from the manufacturer, who will tend towards the optimistic in claims.

Experience, through experimentation, will lead to a collection of odour treatments - I carry about ten favourites.

Learn what you can about the cause of individual odours and this enhanced understanding will help you select the most appropriate type of treatment.

The dog odour you refered to, for example, is caused by bacterial decomposition of sebaceous oils from the dogs coat. Treatment therefore should attack the bacterial colony, remove the oil from the carpet by cleaning and treat the room odour that has deleloped from the emanations from the carpet.

This latter element is where the forced ventilation I mentioned comes into play. During the cleaning process an airmover should be employed to expell air from the room to the outside air through a window or door. Failure to do this will lead to the temporary increase in odour from the carpet further contaminating other absorbent surfaces in he room, such as soft furnishings and even wallpaper.

When the carpet clean is completed these secondary (consequential) odour sorces can be addressed by light treatment with an odour neutraliser. This could be in the form of thermal fogging or cold-air misting, where a fine mist is introduced into the output of an air mover. Care should be taken to protect polished wood surfaces as these can be pitted by many odour neutralisers.

John.

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 11:05:16 pm »
Bryan

I’m in the same mind as you which one dose all? Most agents need dwell time in this case and most will the customer pay extra for your time and agents probably no (don’t like the word chemical smacks of the big X)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 01:34:28 am »
Sorry Len, but "the one that does all" is the same product that completely removes every stain.

It comes in a big red can (matches not included).

John.