Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cavanagh_matthew@y

DOES YELLOW PAGES WORK?
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:48:35 pm »
hi
i have recently put an advert in the yellow pages book for two areas in which i work in. ITs a colour add etc, Can anyone give me any feed back if they had adverts in it and the response level to actual work etc
Thanks

matt

Karl Wheeler

Re: DOES YELLOW PAGES WORK?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:35 pm »
Hi Matt
I spent £4000 with Yellow Pages this year for a big colour ad. This was for two areas.I  have found the response very disappointing and would probably not spend that much again. I had a small black and white ad last year and have found that brought in as much work if not more.Most of my enquiries have been from Yell.com rather than the book. Has anyone else found this? I should have realised my mistake when the sales rep turned up in a Porche convertible ( plenty of commision) and first quoted me £10,000 for my ads.
Karl

cavanagh_matthew@y

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 02:19:55 pm »
hi, oh that sounds rubbish, i didnt spend that much. i spent roughly £2000 on yell.com and book. in my area its nt out yet until end of the month. ive had no responce frm yell.com yet tho very dissapointed.

Lesley J

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:52:50 pm »
we have a one line free ad in yellow pages and we get a fairly good response from that we also have yell.com and have had nothing,not one enquiry, and they wont let you cancel and refund, very dissapointing. Lesley
Lesley Tyrrell

cavanagh_matthew@y

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »
well i got the new yellow pages today, advert looks good and is in middle of page in colour so should hopefully get some responce, have to see tho. yeah i tried to cancel my yell.com but they said no can do... waste of money big time rather have spent it on flyers or local add books.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 07:41:02 pm »
doom and gloom they take your money thats it we are in it and BT book both crap,had Thompson on today and I said to her the response I have had,she said local is best not so big,but do you waste money to find out again :-\ ???
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Kelvin

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:25:20 pm »
Must admit YP has been good for us but we dropped yell.com after the 1st year, that was poor.  Thomson local was poor last year and is better this year but probably wont do it for the next addition.

Kelvin

dustdees

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:40:38 am »
HI,

I HAVE SPENT £600 THIS YEAR WITH YELLOW PAGES AND YELL.COM. RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC!!

WITH THREE WEEKS I HAD WORK BOOKED THROUGH YELL.COM TO COVER THE COST OF THE ADD.

WITH REGARD TO THOMPSON, WOULDN'T TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE, THEY WERE DOUBLE THE PRICE OF YP AND AT TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, NEVER AGAIN.

MIND YOU THIS COULD ALSO REFLECT ON THE DIFFERENT AREAS, DIFFERENT MARKETS AND STUFF LIKE THAT!!

I WOULD ADVISE ANYONETO BE VERY CAREFUL, ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY AT THE END OF THEY DAY,SO THAT THEY CAN DRIVE ROUND IN POSH  CARS.  I ADMIT THERE ISN'T MUCH CUSTOMER SERVICE CARE AFTERWARDS.. BUT SAYING THAT I HAVE HAD NO REASON TO PHONE UP AFTERWARDS.

shelton

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:49 am »
Didn't quite catch that, could you shout a bit louder?

:P ;D

dustdees

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:44:31 pm »
Sorry working of my laptop, it's new, have truoble adapting to the keyboard!!! ;D ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:20:17 pm »
Hi Dustdees,

With regards to yell.com mine is coming up for renewal and although the add  has paid for it self it has hardly had my phone line running hot! I was just wondering did you have a link to your website with Yell and do you think this made a difference? My problem is i don't know whether to drop yell completely or go again with a link? Bu==ers get me every time!!

Regards Rob.

Lesley J

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:56 pm »
Yes I had alink to my web site. still have not had one lead from them, got 4 jobs this week though by word of mouth. Yipee. did not cost me a penny.
Lesley Tyrrell

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 11:02:42 pm »
You cant beat word of mouth! How long have you had your link with Yell?

Rob.

dustdees

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 08:45:34 am »
HI ALL,

Yes I do have a link to my website, I to be honest I think, because I come up in the top three that makes a difference. YP told me that's because of my business name starting at the beginning of the alfabet!!( Can't Spell!)

Hope this helps!

Mr BSF

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 08:57:23 pm »
search results on yell.com are random, it doesnt go in alphabetic order.

regards

BSF

Lesley J

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 09:56:08 pm »
You cant beat word of mouth! How long have you had your link with Yell?

Rob.

Ive had the listing for 4 months now, still not one call from it, and I begrudge every penny Ive spent on it, could have used it to leaflet
Lesley Tyrrell

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 10:28:21 pm »
It would be really interesting to find out why some people have great success with Yellow Pages and swear by it and yet for others it seems to be a complete waste of time and money (I've always been disappointed with YP ads)

Regards

Mike

Mr BSF

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 11:00:36 pm »
For me adverts and the link off yell.com, not very good, the ads are expensive, In my opinion I think it works better for domestic cleaning services, I run my own website and get very few clicks off yell.com

regards

BSF

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 11:18:32 pm »
I think the whole directory thing is totally saturated and that being the problem,just look at how many forms of advertising there is now! Years ago we had Yellow pages and the old directory inquiries ( how many remember the good old days? ) Now every day we get  pushy sales reps all promising the earth! local rags that want to charge ridiculous amounts, website email full of spam  etc etc etc.

Problem is i think its only gonna get worse and in our line of business when we are forever looking at the best ways to market our businesses we are the ones that get ripped off.
Sorry about the rant but it drives me mad!!  ;)

Regards Rob.

Jan K

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 08:59:44 pm »
i have advertised with YP since I started 2 n half years ago, its the only place I advertise and I get plenty of work thro it. I pay no more than £1000 for my bi-colour ad which is simple and to the point. I get most of my work because of the simplicity of the ad....mind you I am in the domestic market so don't know if that makes a difference :)

Jan
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol