Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mgcleaning

Newbie needs advice
« on: May 02, 2004, 09:55:29 pm »
Hi,
New to this so could use some advice.
I purchased a Prochem steempro 2000 powerplus & I'm waiting to go on their training course.

I've done my own carpets & upholstery and that of several friends. Everyone delighted so far (even the Misses) ;)
I've picked up alot of tips from this site. One topic that got me thinking  :-/ concerned using a prespray on carpets, agitating & then rinsing off with fresh water when extraction cleaning.

Now, this is what I've been doing.
    Pre Vacuuming,
    Using multi-pro as a pre-spray,
    agitaite,
    then using hwe with crystal green cleaning solution.

No rinsing off.

I'm I leaving alot of residue  ???
Will it cause later problems ???

Regards,
Mal
Life can only be understood backwards; but most be lived forwards.  
Soren Kirkegaard

lee_gundry

Re: Newbie needs advice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 10:44:50 pm »
if you are following the products dilutions ratios.

you are doing fine.

you could also change the crystal green for fiber & fabric rinse, for wools, upholstery etc.

Lee G
cumbria

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 11:36:28 pm »
Mal

Good machine I wish I had your confidence suggest you increase your insurance cover to 5mil!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

mgcleaning

Re: Newbie needs advice New
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 11:46:35 pm »
As I said I'm new to this.

I'm not going to do anything without training & practice.

I would appreciate sound advice.

Thanks
Mal
Soren Kirkegaard

Len Gribble

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 12:12:41 am »
Mel

I suggest you read your first post “quote I’ve bought and waiting to go on a course I’ve done own and friends etc unquote” then on your 2nd post in reply to mine, you state you are not doing anything without training and practice! More confused methinks!

Come clean with your id that’s gives you more credibility by the way I’ve been to Disney and dreamland.

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Robert_O

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 01:01:59 am »
Hi Mal

The basic concept of what you are doing is ok, but there are many considerations in carpet cleaning that you have to understand.

Pre vacuuming is good practice, Prespraying and brushing in the 'appropriate' cleaning agents is good practice.

May I suggest that you leave out the use of detergents in the tank of the machine and use either a plain water rinse, or an acidic rinse if required to neutralise any alkalinity within the prespray used.

Some people will agree with this others won't , but you need to make up your own view on this , and the only way that you can do this is by going on professional training and listening to the different veiws given on the forums.

I consider it like washing your hair , you apply the cleaning agent and the you rinse the cleaning agent away along with the soiling. Do you rinse off the shampoo in your hair using another shampoo?

You also need to learn to recognise the various types of carpet and fibres out there in order to select the appropriate cleaning agent, and method to employ. There are quite a few problematic carpets out there and by recognising them first off you will prevent many problems in the future.

I hope that helps

Good luck with your new enterprise.

Regards

Robert Olifent

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 01:17:19 am »
Not THE Mal Gbson of Leathal Weapon 1 2 3 4, Braveheart, Tim, What Women think etc

Hey lads we've got a Mega star!!

respectfully Mal the best money you can spend is on a Ncca traing couse also Alltec do a hands on carpet cleaning course   alltec.co.uk   this site takes some navigating if you are patient you'll find what you are looking for in the calendar.

Shaun

mgcleaning

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 01:20:03 am »
Robert

Thanks for advice. I have prochem Fibre Fabric Rinse.
Will try it in tank for carpet.

Can anyone suggest  training ( I'm going on Prochems).
I'm for N Ireland and their is little on offer.

Mal
Soren Kirkegaard

kanoboy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 02:52:24 am »
sounds like you're off to a good start my man. Agitating your prespray is a good practice, but is really only necessary on the really soiled carpets. If you use your prespray, let it dwell properly, have some good heat to rinse with....then you'll be fine on most carpets and save yourself the time you would have spent agitating your prespray. Traffic areas usually need this more often than any other areas.

jerry

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 03:09:45 am »
every job you do is practice, hopefully you get better after each job you do, and learn as you go along but if your not sure of something dont be the hero and try something...if it can go wrong it will...ask questions and read other boards,,,the ics have a great board with lot of info on all types of tricks of the trade....and some of the guys are very helpful.....and remember everyone here was a newbie at this game....
best of luck

Derek

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 10:42:52 am »
Hi Mal

There has been a lot of good advice given here..

The NCCA course is a good start as it is totally generic (no sales pitch)
Contact the NCCA on Tel: 0116 2719550

You will also note that there are widely conflicting views on cleaning.... may I respectfully suggest you look at the IICRC Carpet/Upholstery Cleaning Standard Procedures. (the US based Certification Organisation)

These are Standards written for our industry and they are revised every two years so the information is bang up to date.  
These will tell you of the procedures that 'should' be followed and may be purchased through the NCCA.

Regards
Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 12:22:08 pm »
Derek,

Hi are the IIRC standards procedures widley avaiable.

ie on internet,  or generally available for purchase.

Regards

Ian

Derek

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 01:39:13 pm »
Hi Ian

Yes they are....

May be obtained from the NCCA, Alltec, Chemspec and the National Flood School

Cheers
Derek