Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

So far so good :-) + dole WC'ers
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:47:30 am »
I have only just started domestic window cleaning with a grand total of 9 customers so far after 2 weeks. i earn £66 for the total which is an average of just over £7.30 a house. I try not to charge cheap but i have failed a few times, i do two houses which cost the same amount of £8 first took an hour other took 30 mins, I am experienced with blade work but not on ladders as i worked with my father for a few years but never on a ladder, every house i go to i have a friend who foots the ladder at the bottom as i feel much more confident when there is someone there. I am quite slow on the ladders but i think with experience i will get much better,

What i wanted to ask was about was these dole WC'ers which have been mentioned in a number of posts. is it really true that people charge very little? i have never met any other window cleaners when i'm working, is it a myth about dole WC'ers or is it actually, has anyone on here met or know of one?

reason i ask is because i see myself as a business man with my own business which i can see even at this stage is going to earn me a lot of money in the future, so why are people out there charging so little when there is no need?

thanks

Mark

reah

Re: So far so good :-) + dole WC'ers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:31:39 am »
They charge so little so they allways have work and money in there pocket.
not all house owners want a cheap clean there are many who are house proud and require a good job done.
I know of a cleaner who cleans some houses next to me my lowest price is £8.00 he charges £4.00 and in the last 4 months i have picked up an extra 30% work.
So do not worry.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:08:38 am »
Yes they are out there and believe me sometimes they can cause you problems.

However, as Reah has pointed out, you will still find the person that wants a reliable service and is happy to pay the going rate.

Don't let it stop or worry you, just concentrate on your work and the customers will follow. It just takes time so stick at it.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

premclean

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:44:05 am »

Trevor ,

your up early mate, did you receive my email?

regards steve

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 06:46:48 am »
Steve,

Did you send it ref: Canvassing?

If so Yes, will contact you Monday as this week is manic, hence early start in the office  :(

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:58 am »
Have one that lives next door but one to me, he tryed my patch, but it was easy for me to black list him, but the area he does, he has way under priced, and this is what dole dossers do, it makes me sick they have a 42 inch plazma TV, leather three peice, better car than me,

couple of times I have had the urge to report them, but the whole family are the same, the last jobs they had were milk monitors at school and he's 52 now.

summer wc are just as bad they come out in the warm just to make a couple of bob, but again if you are reliable and price right from the begining, you won't loose your customers to any dole dosser or the beer brigade.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:37:50 am »
summer wc are just as bad they come out in the warm just to make a couple of bob,

Let them get on with it,
I tend to do all my canvassing during the Autumn and Spring, Summer is good for picking new bussines up but as mentioned the "fair weather brigade" are out there,

I was cleaning a new customer a couple of days ago £6 (starter home  6 windows) when next door came out and ask price, They comented that they only paid £3.50 but had watched how I worked and decided to sack the other Guy (one to me)

Put a value on your time and stick to it, your quality of work becomes your best promotional tool and your customers act like PR agents
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

captain lard

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 09:46:33 am »
Two lads appeared at one of the houses I do and just began cleaning,the owner went to see what was going on realised it wasnt me and chased them,cant understand what they thought they were doing.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:17:24 pm »
they get their rent paid,free dental work,loans,g f4d
wildstyles

Fast 1 *

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:12 pm »
sorry,i f*cked that up.
wildstyles

LSB

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:47:29 pm »
I know of a couple of w/cs near me who for obvious reasons need to earn £30 odd quid a day to fund their lifestyle , not often on time etc , often only do it if customer is in to pay ! not even smart enough to do a couple of full days and then take the rest of the week off ! if you do have some fairweather w/cs near where you are starting out ,get ready to pick up alot of new customers in the near future ! all the best !  lloyd

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:46 pm »
Dont worry about the dolites , they will soon dissapear , one mistake i made was to price too low at the start , you will have pains upping them in the future so go in at a good price .
I started with a single ladder on my car and no customers , now i have the written van , wfp up to the eye balls , and my average weekly take is £600 , and there is still lots more for me to earn due to the initial low prices , if you take pride in your work and are willing to spend the time on getting things right you will go a long way .
And this has only taken 2 years or so .

Im happy so far !

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !