Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

South coast con

How quickly to build up a round?
« on: June 18, 2021, 12:04:26 pm »
Good afternoon from the very wet South Coast..

Long time lurker ( years ) wanting to quit the retail life and start my own window cleaning round and I think I am finally ready to make the jump!

I know this question is a bit like ‘how much do you want to put in’ but conservatively, how long do you think it may take to build up a round where my take home, after expenses is around 2k every 4 weeks?

On a salary at the moment of  36,500, but means working nights and travelling an hour there and hour back..so I’m happy for a pay cut for a better quality of life.

Potentially have an option of working along side building up, as I only do 4 nights over 7.

Thanks for the hopefully helpful replies

NWH

Re: How quickly to build up a round?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 01:03:07 pm »
I’m the early 90s you could have done it 10 times quicker most work got through canvassing these days is stuff most window cleaners don’t want to do but not all,you would be better off jumping in with buying work a route of work that produces a couple of grand a month and build on that.
Have it in mind if you’ve never done this job before you’ll lose work through quality and the fact that the customers you’ve purchased may no take to you and preferred the other guy-girl,doing it this way getting to what you earn at the moment could be done within 6 months if you take to it.

South coast con

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 01:18:43 pm »
I’m the early 90s you could have done it 10 times quicker most work got through canvassing these days is stuff most window cleaners don’t want to do but not all,you would be better off jumping in with buying work a route of work that produces a couple of grand a month and build on that.
Have it in mind if you’ve never done this job before you’ll lose work through quality and the fact that the customers you’ve purchased may no take to you and preferred the other guy-girl,doing it this way getting to what you earn at the moment could be done within 6 months if you take to it.

Thanks NWH,

So for around 2k worth of work, I’d be looking at between 6k and 10k?

In terms of Van, this is probably some of the only
Posts on here I haven’t really read much on. I’ve been here since 2016, and mostly have busy read the business side of things, but now it’s getting a bit real I will start going back through the van ones…

For a van, what sort of figure would
I be looking for a basic WFP set up, and a basic van just to get me through the first year?

Don’t want to get a all singing and dancing van just yet!

Thanks again.

jk999

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 01:50:19 pm »
What makes everyone think window cleaning s the way to go these days ,it's not as simple as everyone thinks ,they all think I will go out buy some gear n start window cleaning, a big percentage of people that start up last a few months if I was you I would try get a bit of work with someone else first before you take the plunge,alot of people think they can go out do £500 worth of work and that's what you have for week but it isn't you have to factor all your costs into it ie tax vehicle maintenance fuel ect oh and the customer s that don't pay you trust me I have been in this game 37 years and it's getting harder each year

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 02:24:33 pm »
theres a lot more competition around these days in most areas....a lot more than when i started in 1993

personally if i were you id keep your job for now and get working for another window cleaner a few days a week to see if its for you.......

after a few months if you think you can do the job to a good standard and you dont mind working in all weathers then you can consider getting a cheap,tidy van and  DIY wfp set up.....along with sign writing,logod polo shirts/hoodies and good flyers/business cards,etc

i would try and buy a small round to get you started and build on it by leafleting and canvassing a few times a week,facebook and adverts in local parish magazines
price higher/work harder!

richard connett

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 02:30:18 pm »
If I think back it must have taken around 6 months to build up to a point where I could support myself. But that means canvassing hard, door to door every evening  4-7pm
So glad I don’t have to go through that again but it’s worth it. For me it took another 5 years to really pay well

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 02:32:01 pm »
What makes everyone think window cleaning s the way to go these days ,it's not as simple as everyone thinks ,they all think I will go out buy some gear n start window cleaning, a big percentage of people that start up last a few months if I was you I would try get a bit of work with someone else first before you take the plunge,alot of people think they can go out do £500 worth of work and that's what you have for week but it isn't you have to factor all your costs into it ie tax vehicle maintenance fuel ect oh and the customer s that don't pay you trust me I have been in this game 37 years and it's getting harder each year

ive not found this to be the case at all after 28 years as an established window cleaner.....i work shorter hours than ive ever worked and earn the most money ive ever earned and it just keeps getting better and better year on year......i do have to write off some money every year but its usually less than £100.....its recession and covid 19 proof!

im so glad ive stuck at window cleaning all these years thats for sure as im reaping the rewards now.....
price higher/work harder!

dd

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 02:32:27 pm »
It sounds like you are having a measured approach to getting set up.

I would definitely keep your job until you have built up a good level of work. If you do make a sizeable investment in a van and system and it does not work out, at least you can sell the van and get a large amount of your investment back.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 03:13:55 pm »
I’d personally hate to be building a round in today’s climate. Window cleaners everywhere.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dd

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 04:58:40 pm »
I’d personally hate to be building a round in today’s climate. Window cleaners everywhere.
One downside of wfp is that a lot more stick at it now.

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 08:16:42 am »
Whereabouts are you?
I'm in Bournemouth and there are window cleaners everywhere.
If I were you, I would also offer to clean and clear gutters etc, whilst building your round.
There seems to be a good demand for this and it will help bring in some money.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

james peters

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 08:24:18 am »
most new start ups concentrate more on the add ons side of things.
gutters, rtender cleaning , patios

Granny

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 09:56:05 am »
When I started back in 1983 it was quite easy to get a run of 10 - 15 houses now not so easy, window cleaners everywhere.
It was different when we were on ladders a lot of lads were unsure about ladders and heights now with WFP it's safer and it looks dead easy.
You're in a good position working nights you could spend a few hours a day picking up work depending how much sleep you need.
Keep your job and work around it.
Practice on your own house and friends and neighbours (they may take you on).
I used to go out weekends (people are more likely to be in) knock doors and say "I'm cleaning windows in this road today (even if you haven't any customers yet) wondered if you wanted a window cleaner".
You could keep knocking and clean later but I used to do them there and then (so you get seen actually cleaning windows).
You can then knock next door and say "I'm cleaning the windows next door wondered if you wanted yours doing"
When you go back to clean again leaflet the houses on either side.
But it takes work and effort especially giving up the weekend when you've been working all week!
Good Luck.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 10:21:03 am »
Back in the 80s if you wanted 5000 houses it would be easily achievable through just by knocking doors,today it would require massive mail drops a good website etc,different ball game all together 30 some years later.

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 05:00:02 pm »
Personally i wouldnt encourage new window cleaners , the amount of new start ups seems to be going up year on year. Franchises everywhere, bigger companies about, canvassing and lead gen companys.

Slacky

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 05:02:33 pm »
There's plenty of glass to go round. Estates being thrown up left, right and centre. Someone's got to clean it.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 07:54:50 pm »
Best thing I did was get iut fora few days with another window cleaner, trad at the time.
Gave me a good insite into how the business and equipment ran.
Still worked whilst I got a bit established.
It was very  hard work but  made it easier when cutting the employed ties.
Never looked back!

South coast con

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 01:34:28 pm »
Whereabouts are you?
If I were you, I would also offer to clean and clear gutters etc, whilst building your round.

I’m in Southampton, so not a million miles away!
I was down in sandbanks the other day, and got me thinking I would hate to be competing for that kind of work if I was down there!

If you fancy a helper for a day or 2, so I can pick your brains and you can put me off... let me know haha

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »
Whereabouts are you?

I’m in Southampton, so not a million miles away!
I was down in sandbanks the other day, and got me thinking I would hate to be competing for that kind of work if I was down there!

If you fancy a helper for a day or 2, so I can pick your brains and you can put me off... let me know haha

dito .... I'm in Soton too, Bursledon

James Styles

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 02:20:43 pm »
You can get an ok amount of customers within one year if you put strong hours into canvassing weekly but you will also get a lot of messers that will drop off, takes more years to get a reliable round with consistent canvassing. I’m not even there yet, the pandemic hasn’t helped.