Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

New membranes for Merlin/PRF-RO systems.
« on: August 30, 2019, 04:52:08 pm »
This is from Gaps Water's website and I tried a pair.

Ref: PRF-750-RO

Upgrade the performance of your on-demand PRF-RO or Merlin System by fitting the new SPECTRUM PRF-RO membrane.

Delivery improved water production and quality with a 70% increase in flow, 94% rejection rate (dependant on pressure) and 50% improved recovery.

The PRF-750-RO out performs the standard TLC-350 on many levels.

Well I did this as my membranes needed replacing and although I have only used them for a month at 55psi approx the input is 250ppm approx and the output is 5ppm.

The old ones (4 sets from different suppliers - Gardiners when they did them, Soap national later) gave an output of 8 or 9 to start with before settling down to about 12 to 14 for a year or so and then crept up to about 18 before I replaced them.

Early days but looking good so far.

Edited to add: I haven't calibrated my TDS meter but it is the one I've used for the past few years.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

Re: New membranes for Merlin/PRF-RO systems.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 02:52:18 pm »
This is from Gaps Water's website and I tried a pair.

Ref: PRF-750-RO

Upgrade the performance of your on-demand PRF-RO or Merlin System by fitting the new SPECTRUM PRF-RO membrane.

Delivery improved water production and quality with a 70% increase in flow, 94% rejection rate (dependant on pressure) and 50% improved recovery.

The PRF-750-RO out performs the standard TLC-350 on many levels.

Well I did this as my membranes needed replacing and although I have only used them for a month at 55psi approx the input is 250ppm approx and the output is 5ppm.

The old ones (4 sets from different suppliers - Gardiners when they did them, Soap national later) gave an output of 8 or 9 to start with before settling down to about 12 to 14 for a year or so and then crept up to about 18 before I replaced them.

Early days but looking good so far.

Edited to add: I haven't calibrated my TDS meter but it is the one I've used for the past few years.

That's good Malc. 98% rejection rate. I thought your water pressure was higher than that.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 03:13:38 pm »
Hi Spruce it varies slightly. Highest is about 65/70 and lowest about 55/60. Just had a look and it's 60 at the moment.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:48:48 pm »
Hi Spruce it varies slightly. Highest is about 65/70 and lowest about 55/60. Just had a look and it's 60 at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how those membranes perform long term. The old Merlin had a number of good points going for it. It was compact and you could put a ball valve in your tank and when full the Merlin stopped producing water.
The downsides were the high waste to pure ratio and the poor rejection rate.

The old Merlin was around 5 to 1 waste to pure. I'm seem to remember you said it was around 3 to 1 on the replacement PRF you bought form Alex, but I can't remember the exact figures you quoted. It was a long time ago.  :(
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)