Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

p1w1

Re: Few questions about winter
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:44 pm »
I don’t mind the cold at all, infact winter is my favourite time of the year, i also worked for a window cleaner when I was about 18 for a few years and that was done traditional so I had to go up cold ladders everyday and honestly it didn’t bother me.
 I was concerned with the water possibly freezing overnight or loads of customers cancelling over the winter, also forgot to ask is canvassing a lot harder in the winter, like is it harder to pick up new customers?
As I still plan to canvass over the winter, I will probably just miss out December.

i started canvassing  on sunday 3rd jan 1993 and picked up 3 customers ...it was snowing at the time!i now have over 90 jobs on this estate and ive been cleaning most of them for 20+ years......

canvass AT ANY TIME OF YEAR......jobs picked up in december are usually  one off s for xmas but if your books are not full take them on and charge them double.....better than being short of work....
Funnily enough i started on the 3rd of Jan 2003

Shrek

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 06:35:23 pm »
Get a 0% credit card just in case! If you can’t work , then at least you can still buy food and pay for things and then pay it off as soon as your back in work

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 06:45:59 pm »
I don’t mind the cold at all, infact winter is my favourite time of the year, i also worked for a window cleaner when I was about 18 for a few years and that was done traditional so I had to go up cold ladders everyday and honestly it didn’t bother me.
 I was concerned with the water possibly freezing overnight or loads of customers cancelling over the winter, also forgot to ask is canvassing a lot harder in the winter, like is it harder to pick up new customers?
As I still plan to canvass over the winter, I will probably just miss out December.

Just a couple of things James.

1. Congratulations on reaching 100 customers.

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion.

2. Do charge extra for 8 weekly cleans.

3. Watch for customers who will move from 4 to 8 weekly and then want to stay on 8 weekly in summer. You need to lay out your stand with regard to this. Once they've gone to 8 weeks its easier for them to stay with 8 weeks. So you need to make it less attractive financially for your customer to dictate this option.   
I would discourage longer cleaning cycles in winter but if you get this often then stipulate a small increase for 8 weekly as a special over winter but penalise this price wise over summer. I initially thought that extending cleans was a good idea over winter as I had more customers than hours in the day.  But now I extend cleaning times over winter myself when the weather is bad.

4. Over the years we have had a handful of customers cancel over winter with the premise of restarting in Spring.  Unfortunately none restarted window cleaning in the Spring.  Now, in our books they would just become an ex customer the moment they cancel winter cleaning. If they want you they will phone you. If they do then its your choice if you want them back again or not.

5. I'm not sure I would stop canvassing in December if you need the work. You will definitely get plenty of one off cleans for Christmas which will keep you busy. Price as a premium one off and offer a regular clean from Spring at a reduced maintenance clean price.

Trust me, however you work your business this winter will be different next winter 20/21. Most of us turn down Christmas cleans or offer to schedule the first clean in January. You will quickly find the genuine regulars and the just for Christmas one offs that tried to hook you will the bait of a regular clean.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robbo333

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 07:45:23 pm »

James you need to stop asking questions and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
You are doing ok.
Water freezing overnight: anything by a front door clean those windows trad!
Any customers cancel (they are not good customers) bin them when you are able to.
I'll tell you when to stop canvassing...when you go out for a day and get nothing!

PS. Try 'sold houses'.  Look on Rightmove. It will show you what houses have sold in your area in the last 12 or 6 months.
GET KNOCKING!
Beware of people ONLY wanting them cleaned for Christmas.
OR if I was starting up...I would be knocking houses asking them if they want a  'Christmas Clean'.
Then you should be able to convert 25 per cent of those as regulars.
GET ON IT!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

RPCCS

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 08:01:33 pm »
If the customers don’t want you in winter, don’t bother going back in spring. You have a living to make, its not just beer money. Re freezing pipes, get a cheap fan heater from Argos as has been suggested, put it on the lowest heat setting in the back of your van or car, it will be thermostatically controlled and switch on and off during the night. As for water freezing on steps, get a bag of grit from the roadside bins,and any water splashed beside front or back doors and steps, Chuck a couple of handfuls of grit on it. If the customer is at home, when you knock for your money, make them aware that the water may have frozen, and just tell them to be careful when heading out.
Cheers Rich

TomCrowther

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 06:59:28 pm »
If the temp is around freezing and may drop further, we skip the window above the front door/pathway. Living in an ever more litigious society, it's not worth the risk.
Give the front door a really good clean with cloths and spray. I have operated this way from the start and not one customer in ten years has ever mentioned the window being missed.
Even if they would not try and sue you, it's a dangerous thing to do and the poor customer coming home in the dark is probably not going to be wearing ice skates.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »
If the temp is around freezing and may drop further, we skip the window above the front door/pathway. Living in an ever more litigious society, it's not worth the risk.
Give the front door a really good clean with cloths and spray. I have operated this way from the start and not one customer in ten years has ever mentioned the window being missed.
Even if they would not try and sue you, it's a dangerous thing to do and the poor customer coming home in the dark is probably not going to be wearing ice skates.

Hang on a mo whilst I google that ;D