Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spotfree

Self Install Propane Boilers
« on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:42 pm »
Anyone got any experience with the above, it looks very simple to do.

But I wonder about what the regulations are with regards to the flue? Also, would I need a 6lp per pump? Or could I use a larger boiler for 2 pumps?

How much roughly does the propane cost per week? I use around 2k ltrs per week minimum.

Which boilers are recommended?  I do think its time I switched to hot, I just can't bring myself to pay thousands for something that can be achieved at a fraction of the price so would like to do it myself.

jonny thompson

Re: Self Install Propane Boilers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:19:26 pm »
Cost would be about £10 per week

Spotfree

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:44:15 pm »
Cost would be about £10 per week

Very reasonable, thanks Jonny.

jonny thompson

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:52:35 pm »
I had a flue with my old van, with this one I just have the boiler fitted by my side sliding doors, to be honest I don’t open those doors as my back door is always open

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:01:31 pm »
Did you install this yourself? Which boiler are you using mate? Thanks

jonny thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:13:54 pm »
No I got k systems to do it, we have done it our selves on another van though, the only downside of that is you have to change the gas bottle over each time u run out of gas, with k systems he fitted a proper fill up nozzle on my van

jonny thompson

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:21 pm »

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:33 am »
i spent a few years messing about with gas shower heaters and would never recommend them as a safe way of having piping hot water in your van for window cleaning.

if funds are tight(or your just a tight git in general!)the cheapest way would be an immersion element in your tank and add insulation around your tank.....
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:04 am »
i spent a few years messing about with gas shower heaters and would never recommend them as a safe way of having piping hot water in your van for window cleaning.

if funds are tight(or your just a tight git in general!)the cheapest way would be an immersion element in your tank and add insulation around your tank.....

Yes but you have two left hands. lol, plus we all know that it take too long for an immersion to get to the water to the  68.7 degree sweet spot.

harleyman

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:07 am »
I have had a boiler in my van for a few years very simple make sure you us some thing like car radiator hose which you can get from car parts or online make sure that  you use gas paste on joints  and check with gas detector spray for leaks It will bubble if their is a leak ,  beware that l p g is heaver than normal gas so hangs about at floor level if there is a leak. make SURE YOU CHECK IT REGULAR make sure also you inform your insurance company if you don't and it goes bang you aint coverd

Dry Clean

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:30:06 pm »
I would also recommend a flue even if its only a flexible one that you can stick out of the opened door, what can happen is a slight delay in the ignition can cause a slight build up of gas in the system which then goes out through the flue with a bang, with no flue it may come straight out, think of singed eyebrows and wet pants (Dazmond) and you will get my meaning.

harleyman

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:18 pm »
glad you said that

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:22:25 pm »
I have had a boiler in my van for a few years very simple make sure you us some thing like car radiator hose which you can get from car parts or online make sure that  you use gas paste on joints  and check with gas detector spray for leaks It will bubble if their is a leak ,  beware that l p g is heaver than normal gas so hangs about at floor level if there is a leak. make SURE YOU CHECK IT REGULAR make sure also you inform your insurance company if you don't and it goes bang you aint coverd

its not worth the risk IMO...the only option for a safe proper hot water system is a  diesel heater........
price higher/work harder!

a900

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:22 pm »

its not worth the risk IMO...the only option for a safe proper hot water system is a  diesel heater........

I think what dazmond is trying to tell you is very important.  ;D

I can say from experience  having used gas for two years  that it’s definitely the cheaper from an  initial cost point of view. But  I know a fellow window cleaner  who’s Boiler set alight inside his vehicle. (Didn’t something like that happen to you Daz?)  there is an inherent lack of safety  with these cheap Chinese boilers  and using flammable gas.

I’m currently switching over to a diesel heater so  i’m in the Unique position where I’m using both a gas boiler on one pump and a diesel heater on another  unique position where I’m using both a gas boiler on one pump and a diesel heater on another.  Having a contractor with me regularly  I just don’t feel it is a safe option using the gas.  So as soon as with you stop these 19 kg bottles we are removing the gas water heater

Since you’re looking to use an option on two  pumps  I presume that you have either an employee or a contractor or a mate working with you.  What would be the implications of being sued through burns from a gas boiler going up or a van fire on a customers drive? Or a Road traffic incident involving your van?

This is why for me another method is the only way forward. And long term I could have saved myself the money put into a gas boiler if I had just gone for a safer option from the start. Worth considering too if you want to save money