Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

reflect

New varistream problem
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:07:32 pm »
Hi, I've just replaced my 8 year old varistream with the latest model.  The  buttons feel awful compared to the old model.  I have to press quite hard to get any response. It's almost impossible to calibrate the pressure by pressing plus and minus at the same time.   My old varistream was really easy to use all the buttons. Has Williamson pumps  changed anything? Dosesnt feel like an improved model to me

Spruce

Re: New varistream problem
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:30:45 pm »
Hi, I've just replaced my 8 year old varistream with the latest model.  The  buttons feel awful compared to the old model.  I have to press quite hard to get any response. It's almost impossible to calibrate the pressure by pressing plus and minus at the same time.   My old varistream was really easy to use all the buttons. Has Williamson pumps  changed anything? Dosesnt feel like an improved model to me

My thought on your second point is:
What we don't know is where the latest electronic components being used are manufactured. Supply could have moved from the UK to China for example.

We still have 2 of the first digital Varistream controllers on my van. TBH re-setting the calibration can take several goes. Its difficult to push both buttons in simultaneously IMHO. But that could be just me.

When we kitted son in law's van out 7 years ago we purchased the next generation Varistream which is still their current model. It's the VSD.6 controller. I can't recall how difficult it was to recalibrate the controller as I only did it once. I don't know if son in law did it himself - I doubt it.

What I don't like about this VSD6 controller (that we have) is that it passes a minute/incredibly small (Williamson pumps explanation) amount of current through it even when switched off.  When you connect the battery terminal up you can hear a clunk from the Shurflo pump (in our case).  We found that a fully charged 85 amph new Numax battery lost 25% of its charge in the week it stood idle. I swapped that battery around and put it in son's van. His van still has an analogue Varistream controller. The same battery didn't loose any charge in a week of being idle.
At the same time I put son's battery, which never lost charge, into son in law's van and the same discharge happened.

Williamson pumps advised that slight discharge was so that the battery's state of charge (the one, two or three bars) could be displayed.
If we didn't want this function then we should fit a separate cutoff switch to prevent this drain. For me this battery monitor arrangement that Williamson's use is a complete waste of time.
I had one of these lying around so used that
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-2-way-20ax-switch/73955

With 4 Varistreams on 3 vans I decided to buy another Varistream for stock. Its still in my office 6 years later. When it was over a year old and out of warranty I fitted a 12v 10amp rocker switch with an LED warning light into the side. I could then just change out the one Varistream for the other when needed.
Son in law gave up window cleaning and I now have his old Varistream in my office as well.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Granny

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:46:54 am »
Hi Spruce
Which wire did you attach the cut off switch to?
The Orange one that runs from the van battery or the Red positive from the Leisure battery?
Thanks

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:26:59 am »
Hi Spruce
Which wire did you attach the cut off switch to?
The Orange one that runs from the van battery or the Red positive from the Leisure battery?
Thanks

The Varistreams we have use the same colour wires to the pump as they do the battery. I put this switch on the power cable going into the controller from the battery (red).  Williamson pumps suggested an isolator switch to switch off the controller on the battery input side so that was what I did. I would like to have used a 20amp rocker switch but couldn't find one. As I have never used this in the van I can't vouch for its performance.
But as we run our controllers at a flow setting of  between 3 and 5 and calibrated the controllers to suit, the pumps draw about 4.5amps which, in our case, is well short of 10amps. The 10 amp fuse protecting the controller has never blown so I'm comfortable with the 10amp rocker.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Granny

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:21:11 am »
Thought it was a Varistream but it looks like it was a Spring charger controller I wired up for a mate.
It's wired up via the van battery and must have a built in SCR that charges the Leisure battery.
All sorted.
Thanks for that.