Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

P @ F

Re: Black hand
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 09:33:45 pm »
I buy the blue ones from Eurocarparts , not used them for W/c ing  , but did get the gearbox out of my van with just 2 pairs , that is unheard of with most grease monkey jobs !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

duncan h

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 08:23:15 pm »
My 2 year old SLX 35 as just started to stain my left hand. ( clamp hand) it takes 2 weeks to come off. Tried everything. I now wear glove when using the 35. My 18 is fine. Never used to wear gloves

Clearview

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:20 pm »
My 2 year old SLX 35 as just started to stain my left hand. ( clamp hand) it takes 2 weeks to come off. Tried everything. I now wear glove when using the 35. My 18 is fine. Never used to wear gloves

Yep, me too, SLX 35 and left (clamp) hand is the only one effected. Very weird...

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Its not hard to understand surely , you undo the clamp so the pole section drops , all the water on the section in this wet weather floods over the lower clamp and onto the hand , you also slow the pole down when it gets close to shut , all this has gone onto the clamp hand  ::)roll 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Klean07

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 11:44:48 am »
I've started using good old Swarfega its the only thing that works everything else including soap still leaves carbon engrained in skin for days!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 11:45:09 am »
When using any pure carbon pole they will eventually produce carbon dust – usually not for at least 6 or more months.

Why does this happen? The main production of carbon dust is not from the clamps or the clamping points, despite common misconceptions. The main area of carbon wear is on the inside of each section particularly from the friction between the overlap area at the base of each section as it slides up and down inside the tube. The accumulation of dirt and grit is trapped between the layers and then works like sandpaper on the inside of each section abrading the tube constantly in use.

Why do some carbon pole users experience black hands and other do not?
A lot of this issue can be due to environmental factors. Some window cleaner’s work rounds are in less dirty, gritty or sandy environments and so their poles do not pick up the same amount of abrasive dirt. Also, some users naturally clean their pole hose, pole and sections as a matter of course and so do not notice such issues.

How can premature wear be stopped? The best method is to prevent the wear happening in the first place. Whilst it is not possible to stop all such wear the start of this process can be dramatically affected by a careful cleaning and maintenance schedule. Some clients have very little issue with carbon dust production and carbon wear and the main reason is that they keep the pole very clean inside and out from new and they take preventive measure such as using dry-film PTFE spray on overlap areas.  Another point to note is that most of the dirt that gets up inside the pole is brought up on the pole hose. So, a valuable practice is to wipe the pole hose as it is coiled up at the end of each job.

As suggested in our pole user guide, fully clean the pole out at least once a week. A simple way to do this is to fully flush the pole through with water from a tap ensuring that water is directed up from the base and flushes between all sections. This should also be done immediately after working in sandy or gritty areas. Then for extra protection the sections can be slid apart, dried off and a thin spray of PTFE spray applied over the main overlap areas. Treated like this from new will dramatically slow down the start of black carbon dust being produced.

When doing this always check that both wraps of overlap tape are in position and in good condition – do not under estimate the effect that these two simple wraps of tape will have on wear. If they are worn or missing replace immediately with fresh tape.
Always keep the clamps adjusted up tightly enough – although clamp wear on the sections will not produce a large amount in the way of wear or dust, if they are kept correctly adjusted it will stop any movement in use which will again cut down on potential wear points or carbon dust production.

Once wear has started what can I do? The same cleaning and protection schedule should be followed as above. Flush, take apart, dry and spray with PTFE spray. If this is done more often as the pole ages, then this will reduce the carbon wear that occurs. Some clients make it a practise to flush the pole section out with water at the end of each day as the pole gets older to better prolong the pole life.

How do I completely avoid getting black hands? The easiest way of controlling this is to wear gloves whilst working. I have worked with carbon fibre poles now for about 15 years and have always worked with some kind of hand protection as a matter of course; the benefit of this is that I never get 'black' hands. Wearing gloves of some sort can form part of a good Method and H&S statement for any contractor as it also protects against contaminants that the hose picks up. When the weather isn’t cold, I wear a pair of disposable Nitrile gloves this also means that I can peel them off and eat my lunch or conduct business with clients with completely clean and hygienic hands. This allows me to be less methodical about my cleaning and maintenance program and still not have to think about black hands.

mufcglen

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 11:49:31 am »
I sometimes use these although I’ve stopped since I bought my xtreme pole as they hasn’t worn too much yet like my old slx did.
They’re fairly strong and can take them off and reuse them without breaking them.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-scale-textured-supergrip-nitrile-powder-free-disposable-gloves-black-large-50-pack/6847p

combat1

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
Thanks to Simon, Gardiners nitrile gloves are the bees knees, not had a pair split or tear all day.
Also thanks to Mr. Gardiner, dryPtfe spray has improved my pole, making it quicker to raise and lower.
Valuable help from the forum.

NWH

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 05:12:37 pm »
Simoniz clear lacquer spray if you spray the pole every few months it minamalises this problem,once you start getting black hands again it’s time for a spray.

Plankton

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 06:16:45 pm »
I don't get the black staining but I generally wear gloves to prevent stuff, although many years ago when using ali ladders I'd get staining around the thumb and forefinger etc. I used to scrub my hands with a nail brush and washing powder to remove the crap that was ingrained.