Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cookie

Shurflo Pump - Behaving strangely today
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »
I have had one of these Shurflo pumps along with the controller on a backplate for the past three years & up until now it's been great:

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/100psi-shurflo-pumpstrainer-flowmaster-controller-back-plate-copy/

However today it has been working somewhat intermittently.  After cleaning the strainer before the pump (which wasn't that clogged up to be honest) it seemed to work OK for most of the day until I had to use my 30 foot pole to clean some veluxes. When I switch on the water flow (via Univalve) with the pole collapsed at ground level it's no problem, however if I raise the pole to the veluxes and switch on the water flow it either doesn't work at all or works intermittently - I can hear the pump switching on & off.

Any ideas what this might be or how I can fix it?

Don Kee

Re: Shurflo Pump - Behaving strangely today
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:13:14 pm »

Cookie

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:38:47 pm »
Thanks Don Kee - I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »
I had this today - when I turned the tap off to move to the next window, I turned it on and it kinda dribbled out before going full blast again.... maybe something to do with the cold weather, so yeah I think it’s time to recalibrate too

Cookie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:46:17 pm »
Just so I understand this better (I'm a bit a numpty re: these things)....

What causes a controller to have to be re-calibrated? Particularly since mines been running fine for 3 years without re-calibration. I didn't for example have to re-calibrate after the big-freeze we had back at the beginning of the year...

zesty

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:06:20 pm »

What causes a controller to have to be re-calibrated? Particularly since mines been running fine for 3 years without re-calibration. I didn't for example have to re-calibrate after the big-freeze we had back at the beginning of the year...

The cold weather is probably shrinking the hose making it harder for the pump to push the water through, try changing the pressure on the controller (cal) to a higher value.

Cookie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:45:12 pm »

The cold weather is probably shrinking the hose making it harder for the pump to push the water through, try changing the pressure on the controller (cal) to a higher value.

OK, that makes sense I guess. Also I moved from 8mm to 6mm hose recently so I imagine that makes a difference as well.

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 08:07:51 pm »
That will be the prob then , the hose will cause a major flow drop for you , coupled with the water being way thicker if you like , its like sucking a tennis ball through garden hose this time of year .
Recal my man  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:07 pm »
i sometimes have to recalibrate my controller when the weather gets colder first thing in the morning.i usually have to up it in increments of 5 to make the pump kick in when i turn my pump/heater on........ then when the hose is nice and warm after around 10-15 mins i recalibrate it back down again due to the extra expansion of the hose.......
price higher/work harder!

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »
Bad connections are to blame with most of the problems I've had except the dodgy controller that drove me mad and ended up with a new board. So I'd check your battery terminals and any other connections for corrosion or white oxidation build up. As the pump requires more power at height there is obviously more current going through the connections and if they aren't tip top the pump won't get the required power.

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 10:27:33 pm »
^^^^Very true , been there and done that too  ;D

NWH

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:10 am »
Check the wiring after the calibration,the connectors corrode and they can come loose.

Cookie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:07 pm »
Thanks all. Re-calibrated & it's working fine now.  :)

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 05:01:09 pm »
I’m sure as said re calibrate

If all else fails check battery

I’ve had battery die causes pump to work in fits and starts

I stopped using varistream and alike £80-£100 controllers

Now use power regulator thanks to Tosh’s advice
Never have to recalibrate
Less than a tenner I think, eBay

From what you’ve said mate the only thing that’s changed recently is hose diameter

So that makes sense cold has affected water density

I think it’s pure freedom wouldn’t recommend using hoses less than 8mm with there pumps
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Cookie

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 05:50:40 pm »
I think it’s pure freedom wouldn’t recommend using hoses less than 8mm with there pumps

Thanks Lee. I'll give them a call & check this. I upped my calibration from 45 to 55 - seems to be working OK.

In the PF manual it says that setting the calibration too high can place extra strain on the pump & controller - they recommend a CAL value between 30 & 50.

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 09:39:33 pm »
Controllers have been a pain in the ass for me. I've never used them until I decided to buy a couple a few months ago.

I had an issue with one where the batt light would come on after not long and cut out the pump. I changed battery's and even controllers it drove me nuts, until I figured it must be the wiring slightly corroded on one pump.

Also if they air lock they are a pig to bet going again.

More trouble than they are worth so far, I always run mine on full whack anyway so I could probably do without them. Only keeping them to see if they improve the life of a pump ..always just used the pressure switch rather than a dead end

zesty

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 09:07:15 am »
Controllers have been a pain in the ass for me. I've never used them until I decided to buy a couple a few months ago.

I had an issue with one where the batt light would come on after not long and cut out the pump. I changed battery's and even controllers it drove me nuts, until I figured it must be the wiring slightly corroded on one pump.

Also if they air lock they are a pig to bet going again.

More trouble than they are worth so far, I always run mine on full whack anyway so I could probably do without them. Only keeping them to see if they improve the life of a pump ..always just used the pressure switch rather than a dead end

Do you go through pumps quickly then? I’ve been using the same shurflo pump for 4 1/2 years and it’s never missed a beat, I run it at almost full chat through a controller.

Then again, I use a one shot remote, so the pump is almost never under strain like it would be with a flow control device causing the pressure sensor to kick in.

I reckon my pump will go on for a long old time still...

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 01:41:57 pm »

Thanks Lee. I'll give them a call & check this. I upped my calibration from 45 to 55 - seems to be working OK.

In the PF manual it says that setting the calibration too high can place extra strain on the pump & controller - they recommend a CAL value between 30 & 50.

I would agree with the above explanations, The colder temperatures do effect the water viscosity, hose wall expansion and how hard the pump needs to work.  The hose becomes less supple and does not expand as quickly as temperatures fall conbinme this with  smaller ID hose and cold temperatures the pump will have to work a little harder to generate the same flow. This increases the current draw of the pump and an increase in calibration prevents the pump cycling.

The difference is draw is small , the increased cal may mean that the controller is a half second or so slower dead ending the pump, This two difference are slight and well within the scope of both the pump and controller. A slight increase like this will not impact the pump. 55 is fine

Checking battery condition and cables is also a good idea.

For a little more infor on cold weather effects on the system please see below link

http://springltd.co/blog/76/low-temperature-and-wfp-systems

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 07:48:15 pm »
I personaly think that the quality of the pumps has gone down , I am still using a shurflo from 11 years ago , it has not even had a pressure switch replaced yet !
It started life coupled with a Varistream analogue which only needed the blue dial inside knocked on or back a single click between summer and winter , that lasted for 5 year .
Then it got treated to one of Mr sheppards original controllers ( the one without auto cal ) , that served me for 5 years also , very rarely needed calibrating until that gave up the ghost last winter due to the circuit board saying "I've ad enuff mate , my solders have had their butts cooked "
I told Ian last year that I would defo buy the latest model , but as I sponged a £7  china controller off my brother to keep me going it has not happened yet , but it will as its just coming to light now that the lack of calibration settings is causing rather large amounts of back pressure due to pump over run ,
Honest Ian , I will get one this year , hot water has done you a favour  ;D