Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike George

Cleaning neglected leaded glass
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:23:21 am »
I've just taken on a new customer with lots of 'real' leaded windows that haven't been cleaned properly for a long time.

The customer is happy because they are already looking better, but the previous cleaner didn't go right into the points so there's quite a build up of dirt there and I'd like to get them up to standard. They are too dirty for misting and I've used as much water as I dared on a microfibre sleeve, rubbing very gently.

On one window I went into all the corners with the scraper and it's come up pretty well, but it will take forever to do them all that way.

So what's the best way to do this - should I be using some kind of brush?
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

Trevor Knight

Re: Cleaning neglected leaded glass
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:29:39 am »
Hi Mike,

The best way to clean these windows is with a bristle brush head, speak to gardiners.

We have one for our WFP system and its brilliant. I have recently just taken on a manor house that is completely leaded. When we had finished the windows were top dollar and the customer was over the moon.

Had I done this traditionally I would still be there now!

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 09:19:28 pm »
Trev,

Mike is trad and lives on a boat, therefore I suspect he may have problems getting set up with WFP.

---------------

Anyway,

Mike, it may be better avoiding jobs like this if you're trad.

Real leaded windows are difficult to do to a reasonable standard using scrim or miro-fibre.  They're hard work and time consuming.

Real-leaded windows differ from their modern counter-parts in that the lead used is much much thicker, therefore deeper, therefore the glass is set further back.  It can be fragile to.  I 'popped' a few small panes of the stuff out of a real-leaded hotel I clean while cleaning the inside (outside we use WFP).

Your options are:

1.  Charge extremely well, and I mean well, so that you can take the time required to do a reasonable job.

2.  Charge well, and 'manage your customer's expectations'.

3.  Dump the job.

4.  Underprice, do a top notch job; then dump it in six months when you've had a belly full of doing it.

I'd suggest option 2!

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:29:57 pm »
You can buy little flat square plastic scourers (green ones), they clean the point and bring the lead up very nicely.

but if I was you, I would tell the customer you can do it over a period of time. this way they are normaly happy, and you dont have to spend hours cleaning a whole house.

Mike George

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:17:55 am »
Thanks Trev, but Tosh is right, wfp is out of the question for me.

I'm currently taking Tosh's option 2, which is easy after their experience with the previous guy.

Jeff, I've got some of those scourers that I use on grubby frames but I hadn't thought of trying them on the leaded - they might need a bit too much pressure but I'll give it a go.
Don't recognise people?

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:57:38 am »
Try a garden sprayer and a dish washing brush. Effectively WFP by default. You don't need pure water as long as you scrim afterwards.

Archy136

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:09:44 am »
If you live on a boat you should have any problems with water supply if you went WFP :)

Mike George

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 07:54:55 pm »
Try a garden sprayer and a dish washing brush. Effectively WFP by default. You don't need pure water as long as you scrim afterwards.
I have been wondering about something like this, but I'm not sure it would look very professional!
Don't recognise people?

Mike George

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 07:56:25 pm »
If you live on a boat you should have any problems with water supply if you went WFP :)
Well, there's always plenty of water around - but it's not very clean!
Don't recognise people?

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 08:44:28 pm »
But you would need an extraction licence, even if you own a well in your own garden, you will need a licence. or a £3,000 fine  ??? ;D