Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Split charger or smart charger
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:39:22 pm »
What are you all using for your pump battery? I have been using one of these for the last few years, but they don't seem to last long. The last one just stopped working,ie no output to pump battery, and the one before that, was charging constantly, thus draining the vehicle battery.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-SELF-SWITCHING-VOLTAGE-SENSING-SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30-AMP-/142590509004?hash=item21330e7fcc
Cheers Rich

Spruce

Re: Split charger or smart charger
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »
What are you all using for your pump battery? I have been using one of these for the last few years, but they don't seem to last long. The last one just stopped working,ie no output to pump battery, and the one before that, was charging constantly, thus draining the vehicle battery.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-SELF-SWITCHING-VOLTAGE-SENSING-SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30-AMP-/142590509004?hash=item21330e7fcc
On the side of the relay is an adjusting pot. You could try and mark it's position and then turn it clockwise and anticlockwise to clean up the 'tracks'. 10 or 20 small rotations will be sufficient. If you return it back to its original position it should work.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
Cheers, will give it a try
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:25:54 pm »
On the side of the relay is an adjusting pot. You could try and mark it's position and then turn it clockwise and anticlockwise to clean up the 'tracks'. 10 or 20 small rotations will be sufficient. If you return it back to its original position it should work.
Cheers, will give it a try
Well  I  tried what you suggested, and turned it either way, it only goes about  3 clicks between the two limit points, so have set it back in the middle, re fitted it and hey presto, its working.  Previously when I put either a volt meter,or current tester on, there was no output at all, now there is, so cheers for the tip off Spruce, that’s saved me about 20 quid..
Will continue with it for a few days and make sure all is well.
Cheers Rich

Den68

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:09:51 am »
I used the same relay for 2 years works well,  but I don’t do enough mileage to justify a relay so won’t bother with my next van as I still have to charge each night.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:19:45 am »
I used the same relay for 2 years works well,  but I don’t do enough mileage to justify a relay so won’t bother with my next van as I still have to charge each night.

This is true. I'm in the same boat but it's saved us on a couple of occasions. So i will carry the system across to my new van.
I would love to have a battery that works like a lithium battery but isn't affected by very low temperatures. (Lithium can only be trickle charged at freezing temperatures.)
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Pete Thompson

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:16:42 pm »
My system (700 Litre Ionics) came with a CTEK 120 SmartPass :
https://www.ctek.com/products/on-board/smartpass-120

Works perfectly, and that's with 2 pumps used all day, for most days.

I've never had to bench charge my battery, had this van & system for 5 months.  I needed the smartpass, because this is a brand new van (January) with an intelligent altenator, so old style split charge relay won't work.

Previous to this I had an Antares split charge relay with my 400 litre pure2o system in a 2009 VW caddy.  This also worked perfectly with no bench-charging for nearly 5 years.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:45 pm »
i have a battery to battery  smart charger fitted by grippa (charging my 2 x 105 leisure batteries) as im driving around.there is no chance of a flat van battery either as the charger always puts the van battery first...

i bench charge every night when im using my diesel heater as its heavy on the batteries but if im using cold water theres no chance of needing to bench charge running one pump and driving 10 miles a day....
price higher/work harder!