Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Burbidge

Pain in the neck window cleaning!
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
MGWC and the Window Cleaning magazine are involved in a research project in conjunction with the HSE and a technology company and other key stakeholders on RSI ( Repetitive Strain Injury) in window cleaning using revolutionary technology.
The Project Scope is to include in the field activities and differing challenges from using water fed poles on a residential, 70ft high commercial, reaching that window at an awkward angle to get that window above the conservatory to using hand tools such as the humble squeegee.  For the first time we can gather measurable data that would help towards the design of safety gear that will actually work and do what it supposed to do or help in advice on the right posture, movement for any given job to minimize possible injury.

Do any of you suffer from neck, shoulder or back and wrist pains? I would love to hear your stories.

Small but perfectley formed

Re: Pain in the neck window cleaning!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:05:49 pm »
Lots of wrist pain. Thinks it's from the 5 knuckle shuffle ;D
Spit and polish

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
Lots of wrist pain. Thinks it's from the 5 knuckle shuffle ;D

I belive there is a cream for that, I have heard.

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »
Yes have pain in my neck at front just under and around collar bone, hurts when l breathe in sharply like when coughing.
Had this around 3-4 years, initialy thought it was due to smoking but quit 2 years ago and since seen a doc but he tells me its RSI from working with my head back.
The neck muscle comes from by the ear then goes down the front of neck and ties in to behind the collar bone, hurts all the time at the base. Not massivly painful but present if you get me.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:55:17 pm »
I'm nearly 57 and have been window cleaning 41 years, wfp for the last ten.
I work with a trolley as it best suits my work. This means moving barrels of water from my house to my vehicle and from vehicle to the trolley.
I've found one sure-fire way to cause myself injury, either to my back or wrist and arms is to move them too quickly off the floor or in and out of the back of my car etc.  Therefore, I use a sack truck to move full barrels to my car and never walk anywhere carrying them.  I never snatch them up when full, just brace myself and lift them carefully in and out and onto the trolley.

As my trolley is in constant use I've spent some time modifying it to make it as light as I can.  It is now only marginally heavier that the PF Nano and is easy to get in and out of my car with only one hand if need be.

The bigger and heavier the pole you use the more inertia it has.  Early on I injured my wrists and arms quite a bit due to this.  So again, when moving around with pole in hand, I've learned not to make sudden moves or changes in direction of movement.  I try to make my movements flow smoothly and keep my equipment as light as possible. 

At this point in time I'm finding it enjoyable and reasonably pain free.  My only long term issues come from wear n tear due to 30 years of ladder use and one act of poor judgment at work on my part, that resulted in a badly broken ankle 17 years ago.

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:17:23 pm »
All of these movements can now be measured and better guidance given with this latest technology :)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:27 pm »
Carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand but the exercises help and I've hardly suffered since doing them.I play drums and lifts weights in my spare time tho which probably doesn't help!

Neck ache occasionally but nothing more. (7 yrs wfp)45 years of age.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:10:28 am »
When trad cleaning I used 2 twin pouches (ergotec pouches from Unger). Carried 2 folded scrims and a working one in one pouch and spray n wet rag in the 2nd pouch. Obviously had bucket on pouch as well. I started to suffer from sciatica down my right leg and had to do stretch excercises most nights to help.
Also when  early 20's i slid down my box ladders as I was crazy about getting faster n faster per house i cleaned, but that time i landed wrong and pulled my back. This plays up from time to time.
But since switching to wfp 2 years back I havent suffered from sciatica once, which has been a relief. 
I only clean your normal ground n 1st floor houses with the odd 2 floor houses. But I am now suffering from trigger finger in one finger on right hand. Im pretty sure it is work related. I do the odd excercises for it but it doesnt really help. I have tried a finger brace to help relax the finger in an evening which helps slightly. I also wear padded gloves when working.
Im not aware of anybody else suffering this down to wfp though??
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 04:05:32 pm »
When trad cleaning I used 2 twin pouches (ergotec pouches from Unger). Carried 2 folded scrims and a working one in one pouch and spray n wet rag in the 2nd pouch. Obviously had bucket on pouch as well. I started to suffer from sciatica down my right leg and had to do stretch excercises most nights to help.
Also when  early 20's i slid down my box ladders as I was crazy about getting faster n faster per house i cleaned, but that time i landed wrong and pulled my back. This plays up from time to time.
But since switching to wfp 2 years back I havent suffered from sciatica once, which has been a relief. 
I only clean your normal ground n 1st floor houses with the odd 2 floor houses. But I am now suffering from trigger finger in one finger on right hand. Im pretty sure it is work related. I do the odd excercises for it but it doesnt really help. I have tried a finger brace to help relax the finger in an evening which helps slightly. I also wear padded gloves when working.
Im not aware of anybody else suffering this down to wfp though??
l
Aint it usualy gangsters that get"trigga finga"?