Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

p1w1

Flow meter
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:24 pm »
does anyone use one of these to help know when to change filters http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=401 mainly want it to know when to change fibredyne filter

thanks

Roy Harding

Re: Flow meter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
I have one they work well.

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:58 pm »
Thanks Roy

Dry Clean

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »
Total waste of money as pre filters are nowhere near accurate, just work out roughly what you putting through them a day
go from there.
Put it this way I have a £2 sediment filter and a £6 carbon filter and with the amount of water I use should be changed monthly, they haven't been changed in over a year.
Don't become one of these fools who spends more money yearly protecting the membrane than it would cost to change it every year.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
Total waste of money as pre filters are nowhere near accurate, just work out roughly what you putting through them a day
go from there.
Put it this way I have a £2 sediment filter and a £6 carbon filter and with the amount of water I use should be changed monthly, they haven't been changed in over a year.
Don't become one of these fools who spends more money yearly protecting the membrane than it would cost to change it every year.

I certainly wouldn't label Roy Harding a fool. And again your comments are your opinion based on your experience, harshly said but one which you are entitled to. What I don't think you are entitled to is calling those who do things according to manufacturers recommendations fools.

Doug Atkinson from Daqua once stated on a post that the levels of Chlorine in your tap water depend on what dosage  the water board puts into the supply at that particular time and how far you are from the dosing point. The further away you are the lower the chlorine concentration.

I honestly think you have been fortunate not changing prefilters more often. There have been posts by cleaners who haven't changed their prefilters in less than 6 months or longer complaining that their r/o's aren't working properly as their membranes need replacing.
I change my Fiberdyne prefilter to the manufacturers recommendations, in my case 75,000 liters. It works for me. It could be that I could get much more life out of the CB filter, I would honestly expect I could. After all, the manufacturers would be working on worst case scenarios in their calculation.
On Teesside we are forced to change the sediment filter often as the water quality is awful. I'm due a filter change this weekend and the sediment filter is clogged with red sediment slime which is restricting the flow of water through the membranes.

I've said before that there is a lot of sense in what you say with regard to not wasting money on unnecessary things, something I'm guilty of. But when advising windies who live in all parts of the UK in different conditions, then you can't tell everyone they only need to replace their CB filter every year as it may not be right or true for them.

Oh btw, I also have one of those counters. Mine is a count down unit and once 75,000 liters is down to zero an alarm bleeps to tell me.
What I do find annoying though is the batteries don't last that long, even using HD ones. ATM I have 1000 liters to go and there is barely enough power in the battery to read the digits on the screen.

I fitted mine as I honestly didn't know how much water all 3 of us were using and this was a way of keeping track of it. At the time I was more interested in protecting the membrane as HF5 4040 membranes aren't cheap to replace.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:02 am »
Spruce did you get your from vyair but just the countdown version?

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:29:41 am »
Spruce did you get your from vyair but just the countdown version?

No I didn't get it from Vyair. Alex Gardiner was trailing it unknown to me.  I was communicating with Alex at the time about a water counter and he send it my way to try. Its made by the same company but it is a single unit the pipe work fits into. The unit needs to be Horizontal and I have it just after my prefilters.
The unit you linked to is a better option imo. I don't know the reason why Alex never stocked it tbh.

I was looking at the Vyair offerings at the time but was focused on a count down unit which Vyair didn't carry in stock then.

Dry Clean

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:36:33 am »
For a start the Fiberdyne filter is nothing more than a overpriced carbon block with a sediment filter wrapped around it, its designed to attract OCD types who don't understand how pre filters actually work.
Yes I agree there will be people who will have more chlorine in their water and might need to be more careful with a new membrane but this is easy spot by smelling and tasting your water.
That said there comes a point when even they should start cutting back on the amount they spend on protecting the membrane
as spending £100 a year to protect a 3 or 4 year old membrane is stupid, (harsh but true).
Take a chance on an older membrane and you may be surprised on how little you actually need to change the pre filters.

Remember all you are doing is protecting a £x amount investment (£240 for say a 4040 )which has a limited lifespan no matter
what you do., if it lasts five years and you have spent £500 protecting it then wake up and smell the coffee.

Will state again these filters are not accurate if anything the limits would be set well under the usable limit (why not as it benefits
the sellers) so no need to be too OCD when changing them.
The cheap ones (from reputable sellers) work just as well as the overpriced gimmicky ones.

p1w1

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:47 am »
For a start the Fiberdyne filter is nothing more than a overpriced carbon block with a sediment filter wrapped around it, its designed to attract OCD types who don't understand how pre filters actually work.
Yes I agree there will be people who will have more chlorine in their water and might need to be more careful with a new membrane but this is easy spot by smelling and tasting your water.
That said there comes a point when even they should start cutting back on the amount they spend on protecting the membrane
as spending £100 a year to protect a 3 or 4 year old membrane is stupid, (harsh but true).
Take a chance on an older membrane and you may be surprised on how little you actually need to change the pre filters.

Remember all you are doing is protecting a £x amount investment (£240 for say a 4040 )which has a limited lifespan no matter
what you do., if it lasts five years and you have spent £500 protecting it then wake up and smell the coffee.

Will state again these filters are not accurate if anything the limits would be set well under the usable limit (why not as it benefits
The cheap ones (from reputable sellers) work just as well as the overpriced gimmicky ones.

not sure where you get your filters from but i estimate £80 will last me at least 2 years  (for sediment and carbon block filters). To a point you regarding fancy filters overkill may be true (thats why im going back to standard carbon block filters & sediment filters that i used to use on my old 450gpd system) although your estimated costs are pure rubbish.

Dry Clean

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:08 am »

not sure where you get your filters from but i estimate £80 will last me at least 2 years  (for sediment and carbon block filters). To a point you regarding fancy filters overkill may be true (thats why im going back to standard carbon block filters & sediment filters that i used to use on my old 450gpd system) although your estimated costs are pure rubbish.

A 20inch Fiberdyne will cost around £30 a pop including vat and at around 500 litres a day water production will last around
15 weeks 500pure 500 waste 5000lts per week 15 weeks 75000lts, without including flushing and running at 50/50.
So roughly 3.5 filters per year minimum  at around £100.

To be fair on the Fiberdyne, the cheaper pre filters tend to have a useable limit of around 20000 to 25000lts so if your
changing them by the recommended limits it will still cost around £100 a year.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:16:23 pm »
i found fibredene to be much worse and last far less than the cheaper filters

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »
i found fibredene to be much worse and last far less than the cheaper filters

I'm interested to understand how you came to that conclusion.

The cheap carbon block filter I bought last had a note inside to tell me its service life was 2500 gals US.