Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc Whitbread

Re: Employment Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 11:09:29 pm »
Smurf, He had been told several times to keep it out of sight of customers let alone whilst cleaning the windows it wasn't the main reason for letting him go his attitude was completely wrong kept missing sills and frames when being told over and over and just kept banging on about how he preferred working on commercials and didn't like doing domestic even though that was made clear to him at interview  he also thought it acceptable to stop for a cigarette at every other job every 20 minutes again despite being told after 6 days that was the last straw!!! I do not have a problem with smoking per say and am a very reasonable employer but will not put up with somebody with that kind of attitude who can't follow common sense!! and that's what he was like on his first 6 days can you imagine what he would have been like out of sight of us out on his own in his own van?!!

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 11:12:25 pm »
Hi all,

for those that employ some advice is needed I employ 1 guy full time at the moment he is on 18k soon to be 20k I have gone through 3 other people in the last 6 months the last one was caught smoking in the customers garden whilst cleaning and taking payment off the customer at the same time! I don't understand it even on starting salary I'm offering 16k working hours 8-4.30/5
5 days a week the usual 28 days paid holiday etc I've tried advertising on fb pages indeed and gumtree but usually end up with crap.
I must admit I am not very good at the interviewing part but we barely get many applications...can anybody advise
is that a reasonable salary
and where you advertise and how you find the whole experience? I do want to employ and keep growing the business but at the moment starting to get a little sick of this repetitive recruiting process!

So you sacked a guy on the spot just for doing that ...Going by your employee handbook does that act a grouse misconduct then  ??? No verbal warning , 2 written then a final and all that ::)roll

The guy you currently have where did you find him? Whats good about him? I think employing in this industry is difficult.

Hi Tom,
I found him thorugh Gumtree nearly 2 years ago he is loyal always  declares and walk ups etc even one offs puts his own personal fuel in the van shows up on time every time dosen't mind working alone 99% of the time and has only just had 3 days sick the first sickness absence since he has been with me.
but yes it is hard finding the right staff

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:54 pm »
Hi all,

for those that employ some advice is needed I employ 1 guy full time at the moment he is on 18k soon to be 20k I have gone through 3 other people in the last 6 months the last one was caught smoking in the customers garden whilst cleaning and taking payment off the customer at the same time! I don't understand it even on starting salary I'm offering 16k working hours 8-4.30/5
5 days a week the usual 28 days paid holiday etc I've tried advertising on fb pages indeed and gumtree but usually end up with crap.
I must admit I am not very good at the interviewing part but we barely get many applications...can anybody advise
is that a reasonable salary
and where you advertise and how you find the whole experience? I do want to employ and keep growing the business but at the moment starting to get a little sick of this repetitive recruiting process!

So you sacked a guy on the spot just for doing that ...Going by your employee handbook does that act a grouse misconduct then  ??? No verbal warning , 2 written then a final and all that ::)roll

The guy you currently have where did you find him? Whats good about him? I think employing in this industry is difficult.

sorry smurf written the post wrong the guy with me for 2 years is still with me the one that has gone was only with us for 6 days of course I wouldn't treat a long standing employee like that!

johnny bravo

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:55 pm »
id advertise and get a young lad to train up,    they do not get this chance to get a good pay,    take them on part time to see how he does.   a months trial.       lots of young kids out there who do not know what money we can earn

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 11:32:46 pm »
id advertise and get a young lad to train up,    they do not get this chance to get a good pay,    take them on part time to see how he does.   a months trial.       lots of young kids out there who do not know what money we can earn

Not a bad idea my reservation is the whole driving licence situation there's not enough profit in 2 guys in 1 van I want them working 1 man to a van

Plankton

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:23 am »

Not a bad idea my reservation is the whole driving licence situation there's not enough profit in 2 guys in 1 van I want them working 1 man to a van
I would have thought two in a van would have been more cost effective. If I had 5k of work it would be two in a van with four backpacks, three clx poles, containers and no smoking 🚭 14.5k + bonus potential 2.5k self employed, average 6 hour days.

NWH

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:16 am »
Yeah and 8 hours in the van each day bitching about how much you must be making coz most of em haven't a clue m8,I would do 1 man per van they'll meet up at time to time and still run you down. 2 in a van I can imagine the conversations,cmon m8 lets get a round of our own we can keep all the money then lol sad but true.

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
Yeah and 8 hours in the van each day bitching about how much you must be making coz most of em haven't a clue m8,I would do 1 man per van they'll meet up at time to time and still run you down. 2 in a van I can imagine the conversations,cmon m8 lets get a round of our own we can keep all the money then lol sad but true.

That is exactly true! and also they become lazier when there are 2 of them 1 mann in a day should do 220-250 2 men rarely do past 350 between them unless I am out with 1 of them and even then it doesn't double 

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »

That is exactly true! and also they become lazier when there are 2 of them 1 mann in a day should do 220-250 2 men rarely do past 350 between them unless I am out with 1 of them and even then it doesn't double

the joys of employing eh? ;D

im so glad i stopped employing years ago now.its nothing but hassle.

ive had a lot more crap.guys trying to take over my round by approaching my customers saying id sold the round to them or id packed in,nicking money off me,not turning up or turning up late(again!),doing a crap job,missing windows etc. >:(
price higher/work harder!

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 07:12:39 pm »

How many guys did you go through Dazmond?

the joys of employing eh? ;D

im so glad i stopped employing years ago now.its nothing but hassle.

ive had a lot more crap.guys trying to take over my round by approaching my customers saying id sold the round to them or id packed in,nicking money off me,not turning up or turning up late(again!),doing a crap job,missing windows etc. >:(

slap bash

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
CV s and cover letter are not the best to find staff its got a lot about your ability to judge the character of people.
A very important factor is you need to know what you expect from an employer and conveying this to your staff. Getting your worker into what you expect of them. Too many bosses start off as Mr Easy guy then  get disheartened when the worker starts to show true colours. At this time, you should see what they are up to and lay down the law. Most important factor is stand by your guns. The  first 14 days is your trial is setting the pace of employment. Don`t  allow anything to slide.
You do not want to see their true colours, what you want to see is the colour that you want of them.
ITs not easy driving around in a van with a worker and staying the boss. You need to speak up if you don`t get what you want..
Many things make a good employer .
Many workers just get  bored, keep them challenged in a very boring job is not easy. Todays kids want more to keep them busy like in  tv games.They want it all in a  minuite.

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:54 pm »
CV s and cover letter are not the best to find staff its got a lot about your ability to judge the character of people.
A very important factor is you need to know what you expect from an employer and conveying this to your staff. Getting your worker into what you expect of them. Too many bosses start off as Mr Easy guy then  get disheartened when the worker starts to show true colours. At this time, you should see what they are up to and lay down the law. Most important factor is stand by your guns. The  first 14 days is your trial is setting the pace of employment. Don`t  allow anything to slide.
You do not want to see their true colours, what you want to see is the colour that you want of them.
ITs not easy driving around in a van with a worker and staying the boss. You need to speak up if you don`t get what you want..
Many things make a good employer .
Many workers just get  bored, keep them challenged in a very boring job is not easy. Todays kids want more to keep them busy like in  tv games.They want it all in a  minuite.

Very True! I know I have failed in some of these areas

NWH

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:41 pm »
A  CV tells you jack about them really it tells you what they've been doing but it doesn't tell you there a jealous arsehole that over time will end up resenting you,some on here will tell you it's all down to you-me but it ain't. 2 men in 1 van on above average work will do 8 k a month alday long if you have the work without completely knocking there pipes out,can you imagine that at the end of the month when there giving you 4 grand lol try it and dip your toe in give me a call if you need a hand getting the knifes out of your back.

slap bash

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:16 pm »
we start off with van cleaning glass, After some time we get good at it and feel we need help to do better so  we take on staff. At this point we feel we are a success. Then we employ staff and change our job to  managing this person and never give a thought at our new roll.

Mr B shine

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:01 pm »
I'm currently being held to ransom by my 19 year old employee! He has decided he's sick and has been off for 2 weeks whilst I struggle on Really flustrating but what can you do!!

f*** him off down the road.

Smudger

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:05 am »
Not that simple after 16 months, but at 2 weeks he should be providing a doctors cert.

You should also have a record of sickness over the last 6 or 12 months, if this exceeds a reasonable amount as laid out in your contract of employment then you can start a disciplinary proceeding.

2 men 1 van, very poor return on the day's work 1 man 1 van works best for us

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:42 am »
Not that simple after 16 months, but at 2 weeks he should be providing a doctors cert.

You should also have a record of sickness over the last 6 or 12 months, if this exceeds a reasonable amount as laid out in your contract of employment then you can start a disciplinary proceeding.

2 men 1 van, very poor return on the day's work 1 man 1 van works best for us

Darran
Although my next employee, which I reckon will be April will initially work with the first employee until I get the second van totally full.  Then I get a third van and I initially work that one and so on.

NWH

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:22 pm »
You obviously need to work with him first or have him with you so he can learn it,I had someone with me for a few years I went on holiday and gave him 10 days work over 2 weeks I said try to get as much as you can done,if it rains heavy etc just start where you finished off the day before he said right oh. He new where he was going I came home and he'd done 3-1/2 days work all in the order he fancied,it all changes when your not around I'm not saying it happens with everyone we know it doesn't but I hear similar story's all the time from others. I would never employ anyone who doesn't have bills to pay regardless of how they seem,you need someone that needs you as well.

slap bash

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 05:04:34 pm »
The management game they speak about your true north ist the line over which no one is allowed. It`s you terms of tolerance    under which you employ staff. One needs to keep reminding staff of were your true north is. Its a pain  be friendly but never friends.  Never being afraid to pull staff right where they head to this line. One needs to do the same with customers they to and just humans just like workers. We never give this any thought until we employ staff. Don`t look after staff if they are good just stick to your true principals. They should be looking after you.
Don`t share your problems with staff as they don`t need to or care about your problems as they will see it as a weakness they can exploit. A little aloofness will not go amiss.
Never leave annoying things until you cannot contain your anger. You needed to address these occasions a week or two before. 
There should always be a part of you they do not know, its the part that earns respect for you.