Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john martin

Dyeing bleach spots
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:53 pm »

I have only half researched this so far  ...   
  Not greatly enthusiastic about it but i have a hotel manager that sees me as his only change of fixing several brownish bedroom corridor  carpets with bleach spots here and there from the staff clumsily spilling kettle descaler outside the rooms .

The neutralizer ..  i believe its an acid .  Does it matter which one , i have citric acid powder i could mix up .
   Some seem to then put on another solution before the dye ( perhaps a wetting agent ) ?  does anyone know what this might be .

Paul Moss

Re: Dyeing bleach spots
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »
You will need to experiment as bleached areas do not colour out uniformly .

john martin

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
You will need to experiment as bleached areas do not colour out uniformly .

sure i figured it might not be straight forward  .  My instinct would be to dye with brown .  But i watched a video where the guy used blue and orange /red sprays to recreate the brown ...  the yellow was in the stain already .

Paul Moss

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »
Once you master your basic colours, colour matching is straight forward. ;)

Hilton

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:33 am »
At risk of showing my age,

Does anyone remember a company called Rainbow that used to do carpet dying in house for problem stains but also just to change the colour of the carpet.

Quite amazing went on several jobs were they had been called in as well and got to know several of their guys it was clever stuff and they were very skilled , but it just fell away as either, surprise surprise insurers would not pay for it any more and customers no longer had carpets dyed.

Insurers shot themselves in the foot with this one as carpet replacement proved to be far more costly, than a localised re-dye.

It would be quite a lucrative add on to a business today I believe, now that the skills to both dye and retuft have all but become a thing of the past.

(I don't mean Rainbow Restoration by the way different company altogether )

garybristow

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:38:55 pm »
How about spreading black coffee?
Couple of coats might do it
Gary

Paul Moss

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »
Think the course is about £800, I don't get much call for carpet redying but I don't know if anyone else gets much work from it.

Chris Howell

Re: Dyeing bleach spots New
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »
That's very true.  Most people won't get many calls for colour repair services because they don't offer them and don't advertise them.   But colour repair situations are very common, and in most areas there aren't any companies or individuals who can take care of these issues.   The reality is.....there's just as much colour repair work out there as there is cleaning work.   We have been doing exclusively colour repair services since the year 2000. 

Mod note: If you wish to advertise please contact forum admin.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:14:53 pm »
I would think like with leather recolouring ,  matching the colour perfectly is the hardest part......

Chris Howell

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:33 pm »
Yes.  Leather dyeing is certainly challenging.    :)

Steve Chapman

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 03:31:40 pm »
Have had some success using fabric heat set dye sticks on small bleach spots........

elliott cleaning

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »
I do a certain amount of spot dying  when there is no alternative to removing some staining. I do have to talk the client into it as I do charge accordingly. 90% of the time the client will go for it as they don't really have an alternative.  I'm not cheap for this service but it works out more economical than replacing the carpet.

Am I an expert at it - I wouldn't like to say - but might be interested in going for Chris Howell's course.
Why the hell do they hold these things in obscure places in the north like Skelmersdale ::)roll

Chris Howell

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:11:30 pm »
Elliott, the reason that we're holding the training in Skelmersale is because Tony (owner of the shop) offered to use his place as a venue.

Chris Howell

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:16:44 pm »
Steve, the problem with use dye sticks is that the colour is usually not permanent.   Also, it's nearly impossible to achieve exact colour matching when repairing large bleach spots.   They can be used as a "touch up" treatment for small spots, such as in apartments.

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 02:27:25 pm »
Think the course is about £800, I don't get much call for carpet redying but I don't know if anyone else gets much work from it.

wow, 800 is way to much.
stone restoration, 2-3 days about 400, very fast ROI
carpet course, upholstery, stain removel about 100 each, very fast ROI
even 5 days leather restoration is 700 and offers more work that is more profitable