Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smurf

Easy money - window cleaning scam
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
Has anyone been caught out like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUXEajKb_0

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: Easy money - window cleaning scam
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:42:56 am »
Over the years I've had a couple of times when someone has either collected my money from the odd unsuspecting customer or turned up randomly and cleaned their windows, claiming that they've taken over from me. It's only ever been here and there as they didn't have a list of my customers, so it hasn't been a serious problem. Very irritating though at the time. Those that payed the wrong person reluctantly paid me as well as they realised they had been conned and it wasn't my fault. However, those who had their windows cleaned by the trickster didn't want me doing them again, so I lost out that month.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:04:04 pm »

Over the years I've had a couple of times when someone has either collected my money from the odd unsuspecting customer or turned up randomly and cleaned their windows, claiming that they've taken over from me. It's only ever been here and there as they didn't have a list of my customers, so it hasn't been a serious problem. Very irritating though at the time. Those that payed the wrong person reluctantly paid me as well as they realised they had been conned and it wasn't my fault. However, those who had their windows cleaned by the trickster didn't want me doing them again, so I lost out that month.

There was a spate of rouge cleaners going about and I too have lost out like you say.

8weekly

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:46 pm »

There was a spate of rouge cleaners going about and I too have lost out like you say.
You'd think window cleaners would wise up. Rouge is rarely their colour.  ;D

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:56:20 pm »

You'd think window cleaners would wise up. Rouge is rarely their colour.  ;D

They should look in the mirror. They would see red.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

CleanClear

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
Has anyone been caught out like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUXEajKb_0

Happened to me a couple of months ago. They came in to a shop i do and asked for the money. Of course my customer knows and pays me, so knew he was a goof. They asked him to come back when he had an invoice and informed the police.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:15:27 am »

Happened to me a couple of months ago. They came in to a shop i do and asked for the money. Of course my customer knows and pays me, so knew he was a goof. They asked him to come back when he had an invoice and informed the police.

Just goes to show they are about as seems quite a common scam thesedays

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
Mind you cctv springs to mind so was not the sharpest tool in the box so to speak methinks  ;D

Bay View WCS

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
I can see that it could easily be done but as pointed out most of our custies know us personally so tend to be reluctant to pay someone different. 

This programme though contains a fair bit of set-up with the use of actors I presume.  Two of the custies told the real window that they had paid the 'other guy' - but then it showed that the scammer Alex had asked if they would like their windows cleaning - he then took the money for the first clean and said they would be along to clean in about 20 minutes.  Well, how would the real window cleaner know to go and clean those houses and ask for the money if they had never cleaned them before?

A 'scam' scam methinks!