Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Debbie S

Council tendering process
« on: November 06, 2004, 11:30:24 am »
Hi,
I wonder whether anyone can help me?
I have to give a  10 minute presentation on the topic:
'You are required to submit a tender for the delivery of contract cleaning services to public buildings in the borough.Descibe what process you would follow to complete this task'

I have my own ideas, but thought i would ask if there are any particular things that a council would be keen for me to include in this presentation .And also how complex i should get - should i go in to the basics of various legislation or just mention them?
Please help........
Debbie

martin19842

Re: Council tendering process
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 03:07:39 pm »
there are a lot of questins that need to be asked then answered.

firstly who exactly are you presenting to?

the next most important question that i would want to know, is how long have the current cleaning company been on site. from that answer i would then make a commercial decision.

this decision being, if the current cleaning company has been in place for say more than 4 years, then we would expect that this is purely a paperwork exercise to satisfy the finance requirements.

the advantage that the encumbants have is that if they have been on site for a number of years they have a huge financial advantage over any new incoming bidding company.

if the cleaning company has only been on site for say two years, then the gap in the tender figures is potetially diminshed, therefore all bidding companies have an equal chance.

then based on that info you can decide how much time and effort to invest in the tender.

i hope that makes some kind of sense.

regards

martin

Just a cleaner.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 10:23:33 pm »
Question
I wonder whether anyone can help me?
I have to give a  10 minute presentation on the topic:
'You are required to submit a tender for the delivery of contract cleaning services to public buildings in the borough.Descibe what process you would follow to complete this task'
Answer

the next most important question that i would want to know, is how long have the current cleaning company been on site. from that answer i would then make a commercial decision.

this decision being, if the current cleaning company has been in place for say more than 4 years, then we would expect that this is purely a paperwork exercise to satisfy the finance requirements.
  Did he read the question properly?
When all the trees have been felled, and all the rivers are poisoned, we will dicover that we can't eat money.

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 10:37:59 pm »
norman,

debbie and i have exchanged several detailed emails about this, andi can assure you that she is fully appreciable of the time i have taken regarding the post.

thank you for your observations, the initial response was a blatant response regarding tendering, i have been involved intendering in different business arenas for some ten years.  and tendering, is really about who falls off the roundabout last when the client spins it

regards

martin

Just a cleaner.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 10:57:49 pm »
Martin,

Sorry, Just me being a T W ~ T!

I agree you are very knowledgable about tendering. But - Debbie was asking about giving a presentation not actually submitting a tender.

I agree with every word of your first reply to this topic. And it has to be said it is a fair view of the tendering process.

But maybe you didn't give her the answer she needed.

Apologies!
Norman
When all the trees have been felled, and all the rivers are poisoned, we will dicover that we can't eat money.

Debbie S

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 11:17:53 am »
Crikey,I have only posted a few questions on this site before and each time i seem to cause an altercation - is everyone really stressed or something?!
Thank you Norman for pointing out that Martins original reply was actually about areal tender situation - but as he has said we have talked via email to get the information i require - so he has helped me a lot.
If anyone wants to help me more :
what percentage profit do you charge as a company?
what percentage overheads do you charge?!
I know this varies immensley between companies but i would like to have an average figure.
Thanks everyone - please dont fight!
Debbie
Debbie

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 07:45:38 pm »

hi debbie,

i have pm'd you.

i know its a controversial place this forum, but keeps thing interesting.

regards

martin

Debbie S

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 11:50:10 pm »
Thanks Martin for all your help - have the presentation in the bag just got to stop sweating,shaking and stuttering now!! (only joking!).I will let you know how i get on ,on monday .

The last time i posted a question someone actually resigned from the forumn in protest (not from my question).
So it begs the question - am I a catalyst?

Thanks again
Debbie
Debbie